Texsox

This is probably just lies from the liberal media trying to make Bush look bad

Washington Post Link

Antiwar Fervor Fills the Streets

Demonstration Is Largest in Capital Since U.S. Military Invaded Iraq

By Petula Dvorak

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, September 25, 2005; Page A01

Tens of thousands of people packed downtown Washington yesterday and marched past the White House in the largest show of antiwar sentiment in the nation's capital since the conflict in Iraq began.

The demonstration drew grandmothers in wheelchairs and babies in strollers, military veterans in fatigues and protest veterans in tie-dye. It was the first time in a decade that protest groups had a permit to march in front of the executive mansion, and, even though President Bush was not there, the setting seemed to electrify the crowd.

more, much more than that, at the link . . .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
And protesting never changed anything and never will...........whats your point?

Are you familiar with the works of Jesus, Martin Luther, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez?

:lolhitting

Not every problem requires a military answer. Non violence also has a roll in shaping our world. I know it isn't as deeply satisfying as actually killing people to get your way, but is has worked.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
I'll wait until the Parks director determins how many people were there.  We saw the supposed stats about attendance at the million man march, and all the other supposedly huge marches that in actuality had way less than the organizers claimed.

It is an inexact science at best. I remember a long ago journalism class and the prevailing wisdom of the day was to find someone like the police chief to make a estimate (guesstimate?)

I'm not certain if numbers are meaningful anymore. Getting 100,000 together in 2005 is a lot easier than in 1969.

Reagrdless of the numbers, they are growing. I pray that we reach an end that does not cause the thousands who died to die in vain. The sooner the better, but sooner isn't always better.

What if they gave a counter-protest and no one showed up?

About 400 people gathered near a stage on an eastern segment of the mall, a large photo of an American flag serving as a backdrop. Amid banners and signs proclaiming support for U.S. troops, several speakers hailed the effort to bring democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan and denounced those who protest it.
The organizers of that rally were expecting 20,000.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
What if they gave a counter-protest and no one showed up?

The organizers of that rally were expecting 20,000.

The article you reference says that about 100,000 showed up to see the media whore (Casey Sheehan's mom), while the earlier article says an estimated 300,000 showed up. Pretty big difference.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
The article you reference says that about 100,000 showed up to see the media whore (Casey Sheehan's mom), while the earlier article says an estimated 300,000 showed up.  Pretty big difference.

That happens at almost every rally...organizers say 1 number showed up, the police say a much lower number showed up.

I usually figure it's somewhere inbetween the 2 numbers, leaning towards the side of the police estimate.

For those of us who are more rational & conservative minded please explain what it is you are protesting against.

Is it continued assistance to the Iraqi government? Do you believe in a nation's honor? How does it look to the rest of the world if America were to turn her back on Iraq? Though 25% might want us to leave, 75% want us to stay.

Have you learned nothing from the Hamas attacks on Israel? This comes at a time when Israel was pulling out & conceding the Gaza strip. Do you still believe that peace in the middle east is possible w/out democracy & capitalism?

It's ok to have ideals but at some point reality should enter the picture & rational thinking should take hold.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
For those of us who are more rational & conservative minded please explain what it is you are protesting against.

Is it continued assistance to the Iraqi government?  Do you believe in a nation's honor?  How does it look to the rest of the world if America were to turn her back on Iraq?  Though 25% might want us to leave, 75% want us to stay.

Have you learned nothing from the Hamas attacks on Israel?  This comes at a time when Israel was pulling out & conceding the Gaza strip.  Do you still believe that peace in the middle east is possible w/out democracy & capitalism? 

It's ok to have ideals but at some point reality should enter the picture & rational thinking should take hold.

I'm not sure that you have to be conservative minded to agree with what you're sayings Juggs. But I think one of the strongest arguments is that the public is going to continue to dissent more and more against this War and eventually the US will have to leave on unfavourable terms, so people think they might as well pull out now and not waste more lives. How pessimistic. :P

I'm not sure that you have to be conservative minded to agree with what you're sayings Juggs.  But I think one of the strongest arguments is that the public is going to continue to dissent more and more against this War and eventually the US will have to leave on unfavourable terms, so people think they might as well pull out now and not waste more lives.  How pessimistic. :P

I would say to them look at Russia & China. Once capitalism takes hold there is no turning back. One can only imagine the impact on the Middle East if Iraq should embrace both capitalism & democracy.

America's greatest threat in the region remains Iran. In Iran capitalism is already moving many to seek to democracy. A democratic Iraq would only further strengthen their efforts. The best way to weaken the Jihad is to convert it. For better or worse the new religion is American capitalism. Alive & well in all nations of the world including China.

From my hometown paper -- http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldn..._LETTERS_S1.htm

I attended the rally in Batavia with Cindy Sheehan. I went to speak about governmental accountability and funding for our soldiers who are currently serving and for veterans who served in the past. I was not there to support the "bring 'em home now" crowd.

The rude, hateful, and ignorant behavior displayed by the Bush and Hastert supporters towards us in uniform who stood on the same side of the street as Cindy Sheehan was astonishing.

During 20 years in the U.S. Army I participated in many funeral services. While rendering honors to fallen comrades, it was difficult to hold back tears. Those serving are like my family and it saddens me whenever a member of my family is killed or wounded. As Americans, we need to recognize the sacrifices made by our brave soldiers and weep for the losses of their families. Their losses are our losses.

At the rally, people carrying Bush and Hastert signs were incredibly disrespectful to parents who had lost children. These Bush and Hastert supporters actually booed and hissed parents while they told their stories of personal loss. People shouted "your kid's dead — you can't bring them back now" and "go home and cry." It was a disgrace. Their children served all Americans, including those who shamelessly displayed such disrespect. I will not accept the ridicule that was tossed my way for supporting a fallen comrade and his family.

Those acting in such a despicable way should be ashamed. The soldiers died and paid the ultimate price to our country without regard for personal politics.

If this is the way Republicans want to portray themselves, it's no wonder the president's approval rating is at an all-time low and Hastert's approval rating is at 28 percent. Americans are, after all, a compassionate people.

Tom Brophy

Sergeant Major

U.S. Army, Retired

Oswego

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Are you familiar with the works of Jesus, Martin Luther, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez?

:lolhitting

Not every problem requires a military answer. Non violence also has a roll in shaping our world. I know it isn't as deeply satisfying as actually killing people to get your way, but is has worked.

Moses didn't make the cut? Damn. You're just dissing him for his later work with the NRA,

How about Upton Sinclair, NUKE? If he hadn't protested the meat packing industry in his writing do you think the industry would have cleaned up its act?

'protesting never solved anything' is a rather hyperbolic and non-factual statement.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)

The smile says it all.  She got some cash to do this.

I really dislike this woman after this.  Prostesting is one thing.  Hamming it up for the cameras is another, purposefully to garner attention.

Cindy 'Jane Hanoi' Sheehan.

Ah yes, lets compare a mother protesting a war in Washington D.C. to an actress pretending to fire North Vietnamese guns in Hanoi while visiting the enemy during a war.

That seems apt. :rolly

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Here is a picture of the crowd.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/0.../r324680482.jpg

here are some other pics taken at the rally, just fyi.

http://flickr.com/photos/michellemalkin/

thumb-Protest3.jpg

MarchWide2.jpg

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/09/26/protes...rnout-pictures/

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)

The smile says it all.  She got some cash to do this.

I really dislike this woman after this.  Prostesting is one thing.  Hamming it up for the cameras is another, purposefully to garner attention.

Cindy 'Jane Hanoi' Sheehan.

That security guy on the left must have a special "touch". No wonder she's smiling. :ph34r:

Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who became a leader of the anti- war movement following her son's death in Iraq, was arrested Monday along with dozens of others protesting outside the White House.

Sheehan, carrying a photo of her son in his Army uniform, was among hundreds of protesters who marched around the White House and then down the two-block pedestrian walkway on Pennsylvania Avenue. When they reached the front of the White House, dozens sat down _ knowing they would be arrested _ and began singing and chanting "Stop the war now!"

Police warned them three times that they were breaking the law by failing to move along, then began making arrests. One man climbed over the White House fence and was quickly subdued by Secret Service agents.

Sheehan, 48, was the first taken into custody. She smiled as she was carried to the curb, then stood up and walked to a police vehicle while protesters chanted, "The whole world is watching."

About 50 people were arrested in the first hour, with dozens of others waiting to be taken away. All cooperated with police.

Sgt. Scott Fear, spokesman for the U.S. Park Police, said they would be charged with demonstrating without a permit, which is a misdemeanor.

Park Police Sgt. L.J. McNally said Sheehan and the others would be taken to a processing center where they would be fingerprinted and photographed, then given a ticket and released. The process would take several hours, he said.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
For those of us who are more rational & conservative minded

Yes, oh God yes, yes, yes, yes! That gave me the BEST laugh I have had in ages. Oh, I feel so much better now.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl