Attendance.

Rex Kickass

Forgetting for a minute all the travel expenses, office expenses, etc. in running a big operation, what if JR spent 100% of the gate on player salaries, would that make everyone happy? Using $30 as an average, which I believe is generous with discounts, that would be a $70,000,000 payroll.

A lot of the additional revenue is going to be tied up giving the players we have their raises. Garland and AJ are going to get big increases. Hop that the Sox go deep in the playoffs, because playoff games are huge moneymakers. I think a 10 person suite is $10,000 for a World Series game, $7,000 for an ALCS game and $4000 for a ALDS game.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
A lot of the additional revenue is going to be tied up giving the players we have their raises. Garland and AJ are going to get big increases.

That's certainly true but we do also have some expiring contracts coming off the books. Thomas, Everett, Shingo, Timo, and Ben Davis free up about $17 M (not counting Frank's buyout, if that's really what they decide to do).

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
A lot of the additional revenue is going to be tied up giving the players we have their raises. Garland and AJ are going to get big increases. Hop that the Sox go deep in the playoffs, because playoff games are huge moneymakers. I think a 10 person suite is $10,000 for a World Series game, $7,000 for an ALCS game and $4000 for a ALDS game.

Out of curiosity, how much of that do the Sox keep?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:41 AM)
Out of curiosity, how much of that do the Sox keep?

I'm not sure, but I think its significant. I was reading something about Arizona, how they needed to make the playoffs to offset huge losses. IIRC the article said they made between $12-15 million during the 2001 playoffs. Of course, they played just about the maximum amount of games.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Forgetting for a minute all the travel expenses, office expenses, etc. in running a big operation, what if JR spent 100% of the gate on player salaries, would that make everyone happy? Using $30 as an average, which I believe is generous with discounts, that would be a $70,000,000 payroll.

Yes but you've left out revenue from food, parking, souveniers, TV deal, etc...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I'm not sure, but I think its significant. I was reading something about Arizona, how they needed to make the playoffs to offset huge losses. IIRC the article said they made between $12-15 million during the 2001 playoffs. Of course, they played just about the maximum amount of games.

Wow, and that would be gravy on top of a 20% bounce in attendance revenue. This could be the difference between an $85-90 million payroll and a $100 million payroll.

At the beginning of the year I looked at the monthly 2004 attendance. I added a little to each number to come up with a guess as to what this years attendance would be. I came up with 2,329,000.

I thought it would be too high. :o

I was only off by 14,833 which is pretty amazing. :D

Edited by Iwritecode