Check my math

mmmmmbeeer

Let's just assume that in their 6 remaining games Cleveland goes 4-2, which is actually below the winning% they've been playing at in the 2nd half. That would put them at 96 wins on the season. The only way the Sox could not have "choked" away their 15 game lead would have been to finish the season with 111 wins, only 5 wins short of the best mark ever set in baseball. Even a 10 game lead would have been a 106 win season.

And some more math;

With wild-card candidates Boston and New York playing each other next weekend, if the Sox win three of four in Detroit, they are assured of winning at least the wild card. That's because the Sox then would be 97-62 and the best the Red Sox and Yankees could be heading into the weekend would be 95-64. Because Boston or New York will then lose at least two, the wild-card winner would be at best 96-66.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
It's nice to have that in our back pocket.

Like they say, it doesn't matter HOW you get there, so long as you get there. Winning the division isn't automatically going to give us a better chance at making the World Series than if we win the Wild Card. We have a better record in away games to home games anyway.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)
Like they say, it doesn't matter HOW you get there, so long as you get there. Winning the division isn't automatically going to give us a better chance at making the World Series than if we win the Wild Card. We have a better record in away games to home games anyway.

True, but I still think it's important for the confidence and psyche of the team to go in as divison winners. We've had the lead from day one. I think it would take away a little something to back in through the WC. To win the division, especially after everything that's happened the last six weeks, would be an absolute shot in the arm for this team heading into the playoffs. And, I don't care what our road record is, I would most certainly rather open up with games 1 and 2 at the Cell than games 1 and 2 in Boston, New York, Or Anaheim.

Either route can be successful. The wild card brings lower expectations, a we're just happy to be here looseness. The best record in the frickin' AL, brings a certain swagger, but the bullseye on the back. It all depends on how it gets spun. I think it's rather overblown actually.

I'd rather be playing the AL East winner than the West. I'll bet the players have a favorite, although I doubt they will say it.

Wouldn't it be funny if the major pessimists on this site who were railing against the Sox with exclamations of "The season is over!", "They'll miss the Playoffs!" or "Cleveland AL Central Champs and Boston WC champs" were banned for the first playoff game only.

A symbolic gesture to say the bandwagon didn't have time to go back and pick them up before the first ALDS game.

:lol:

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
Wouldn't it be funny if the major pessimists on this site who were railing against the Sox with exclamations of "The season is over!", "They'll miss the Playoffs!" or "Cleveland AL Central Champs and Boston WC champs" were banned for the first playoff game only.

A symbolic gesture to say the bandwagon didn't have time to go back and pick them up before the first ALDS game.

:lol:

I think you have your browser pointed towards the wrong White Sox message board :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
I think you have your browser pointed towards the wrong White Sox message board :ph34r:

:lolhitting On the other board they are planning how to get an older friend to buy them beer when the Sox clinch

I have been impressed with the offense over the last few days. Hopefully they will keep hot going into the post season. The pitching wont be a problem in the playoffs. It will be the ability for our offense to score runs. If they hit like they did over the weekend the possiblities are endless.

Kazmir goes against the Injuns I think on Wednesday. That will make it tough. He is a hard throwing lefty and should give them fits.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
I have been impressed with the offense over the last few days.  Hopefully they will keep hot going into the post season.  The pitching wont be a problem in the playoffs.  It will be the ability for our offense to score runs.  If they hit like they did over the weekend the possiblities are endless.

Kazmir goes against the Injuns I think on Wednesday. That will make it tough.  He is a hard throwing lefty and undefined  give them fits.

Unfortunately, "should" is the key word. The way the Indians have been playing lately, who knows? But, they will hear me cheering in the Pulp Dome from Texas this week.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Unfortunately, "should" is the key word.  The way the Indians have been playing lately, who knows?  But, they will hear me cheering in the Pulp Dome from Texas this week.

I agree. They handled Santana and Zito pretty well. But the D-Rays have been pretty pesky, moreso than the Royals at least :headshake