White Sox @ Tigers 9/26 Game Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amusing.

Some of you guys b**** at Guillen for lefty-righty pitching matchups and then crucify him when he doesn't pinch hit for Pierzynski with Spurling out there.

Pierzynski is a contact hitter, doesn't K much, supposed to be clutch. Seems to me it was Pierzynski's fault, freaking awful at bat from my view.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Amusing. 

Some of you guys b**** at Guillen for lefty-righty pitching matchups and then crucify him when he doesn't pinch hit for Pierzynski with Spurling out there.

Pierzynski is a contact hitter, doesn't K much, supposed to be clutch.  Seems to me it was Pierzynski's fault, freaking awful at bat from my view.

AJ bats .226 against lefties.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
Thay might be the most optimistic post I have ever read! Do you go through everyday with a HUGE maniacle smile on your face?  :D

accually, yes i do

some mistake it for a sign of insaity

wait, maybe they are right.

AJ bats .226 against lefties.

What part of "don't quote or respond to my posts" don't you get?

I wasn't responding to you, I was making a general comment.

Now ... stay away from my posts. I have extended the same courtesy to you.

For the last time, are we agreed?

Or do you and I have a problem?

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
Amusing. 

Pierzynski is a contact hitter, doesn't K much, supposed to be clutch.  Seems to me it was Pierzynski's fault, freaking awful at bat from my view.

AJP was facing Walker. No matter who was up, Walker was pitching to the batter.

Jim, even DJ, yes DJ said he was very suprised AJ wasnt being pinch hit for. All this before the AB.

Tony,

Good for DJ.

DJ would've had Pablo in there probably, or Widger. Ok fine. Pierzynski is a contact hitter, they needed contact. Pierzynski is the guy who didn't exectute, Pierzynski is supposed to be clutch, Pierzynski is supposed to be the pain in the ass hitter who always gets the big hit, yes? Pierzynski is the guy White Sox fans hated because he always did that before.

To my knowledge, neither Widger or Ozuna are known for doing any of the above.

I saw Keith call for Brian Anderson before the AB and I respect that, although I disagree with Keith because Anderson is a rookie who hasn't had an AB in a while and has a tendancy to K. It is tough to argue against Pablo but Pierzynski is known to be clutch, that's a big reason why they signed him. He f***ed up, plain and simple, he didn't get the job done and that cost the team. It was a horses*** at bat by a guy who should have done better.

In short, in my mind, blame the player.

You said that AJP had to bat there because Spurling was up in the pen.

I'm sorry, I misnamed the lefthander. The lefthander that Pierzynski struck out against. Spurling is the RH. I realize the LH had to pitch to one batter.

To clarify, my point is, you have a guy like Pierzynski because he is known to be a tough AB when it counts, he is a game or whatever adjective you want to use. He was known for the big hit against the White Sox, I could care less what all the splits say. No one here can tell me that Pierzynski isn't known for being a guy who gets it done with the game on the line, that's why Sox fans hated his guts for 4-5 years.

Pierzynski did a poor job, plain and simple. He has underachieved at the plate all year long ... but I'm sure that's somebody else's fault (maybe two guys fault?) other than Pierzynski, according to this board.

Bottom line, that failure belongs on Pierzynski. He had a s***ty at bat. Guillen showed faith in a player who's been well known for getting things done in tough situations. Ozuna, Widger, Anderson ... to my knowledge, none of them are as seasoned or as proficient as Pierzynski in that type of situation. Unless the only way to manage is lefty-righty ... and the last I checked this board barbeques Guillen for doing that.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)
We all know how easy it is to 2nd guess Ozzie, and it is. I just think in September, with the big roster, there are other options for Ozzie to use.

The blame for this game definitely goes on AJP. It's disappointing to see the terrible approach some of our veterans, like AJP and Everett, have had down the stretch. I respect that Ozzie is going with the 9 guys that got us this far, but why not give one of the benchers a chance to give us a spark in a game? Play 8 of the core guys, and put someone like Gload/Borchard/Anderson into the game. The Yanks have got a big lift from Bubba Crosby lately. As I said in a post last night, there's a difference between making a guy a "starter", and just sitting him out one game.

Well I think the last two posts are very very fair and balanced.

It didn't work out.

Who's to say if Guillen f***ed up by not pinch hitting for Pierzynski, or who's to say that Ozuna/Widger/Anderson would've done better.

It was a f***ed up at bat. A very bad at bat.

Personally I would have done just what Guillen did, I was out watching the game with friends and we talked about it, we all agreed that Pierzynski is a gamer and one guy's wife said "Ozuna didn't get the job done last Thursday" in a two out situation when they needed the big hit.

Guess what, all of us who would've stuck with Pierzynski in that at bat (not to mention Guillen and Pierzynski himself and the White Sox) were wrong. By the way, he had a great pitch to hit ... a GREAT pitch to hit, on strike two. That's what cost him the at bat. He swung right through a very hittable pitch, he wasn't trying to kill the ball (in my estimation), he flat out missed it.

A bad at bat. Missed opportunity. Game lost.

Crunch time, it gets rougher from here.

We have to hope he learns from that s***ty at bat and comes up bigger over the next several games.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
The blame for this game definitely goes on AJP.  It's disappointing to see the terrible approach some of our veterans, like AJP and Everett, have had down the stretch.  I respect that Ozzie is going with the 9 guys that got us this far, but why not give one of the benchers a chance to give us a spark in a game?  Play 8 of the core guys, and put someone like Gload/Borchard/Anderson into the game.  The Yanks have got a big lift from Bubba Crosby lately.  As I said in a post last night, there's a difference between making a guy a "starter", and just sitting him out one game.

If Ozzie had followed that strategy earlier in the season instead of doing the Sunday lineup thing so damn much earlier in the season we would be a lot mroe well off at this point.

I say blame the whole team. They scored three lousy runs against a weak ass pitcher. Situations presented themselves but what about those that didn't thanks to terrible AB's? There are now only six games left in the season. It's so disappointing to see this team play such uninspired baseball when a win was so important. This game set the tone for the four games and Detroit just got very excited about playing spoiler. They've won three straight now. I rank this loss right up there with the games in KC. Pathetic.

I like Ozzie. He's led us to 94 fricking wins. If it's not enough, that's baseball.

Yes we have sucked big time the last many weeks but we've won 94 games.

If we are the biggest choke in history it probably is the Chicago jinx, cause we may end up with 95-97 wins.