Stupid question

DePloderer

This may sound like a daft question to all you long time baseball fans but as I'm still coming to terms with the intricasies of the game I hope someone can help.

In a recent newspaper article, A.J. Pierzynski was talking about how Buerhle had "constantly jammed the Twins with his cut fastball." He went on to say how this "opened up the outside corner later."

My question is, what did he mean by this and why is it a good thing? I know what the outside corner is but how does a cut fastball open up the outside corner?

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
This may sound like a daft question to all you long time baseball fans but as I'm still coming to terms with the intricasies of the game I hope someone can help.

In a recent newspaper article, A.J. Pierzynski was talking about how Buerhle had "constantly jammed the Twins with his cut fastball." He went on to say how this "opened up the outside corner later."

My question is, what did he mean by this and why is it a good thing? I know what the outside corner is but how does a cut fastball open up the outside corner?

Couple reasons, one is

When you keep seeing inside pitches, you start to look for them. You start to back off the plate a little bit. The outside of the plate seems waaaaaaay out there, you freeze thinking it's out of the strike zone, the umps hand comes up, and you are grabbing some bench.

BTW. Awesome sig.

Another factor, and not specific to inside, out, is moving your pitches, working the corners, keeping a hitter off balance. Something guys learn as their careers go on. It keeps guys like Maddux and Moyer pitching well past the age that others have retired.

And it was an excellent question, not stupid.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
Another factor, and not specific to inside, out, is moving your pitches, working the corners, keeping a hitter off balance. Something guys learn as their careers go on. It keeps guys like Maddux and Moyer pitching well past the age that others have retired.

And it was an excellent question, not stupid.

A great question indeed and one that points out just how good Mark Buehrle is at moving a baseball around.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)

When Buehrle throws his good cut fastball, it looks just like a fastball that's heading right down the middle of the plate, but to right-handers, it "cuts" inside at the last second, therefore jamming the batters - causing them to hit the ball closer to the handle rather than on the sweet spot. To lefties, it has the opposite movement - it cuts away from them causing them to hit it off the end of the bat.

When Buehrle is throwing a good cut fastball, batters must be paranoid about it, so they look inside all the time and back off the plate. They simply cannot do this and cover the outside corner as well. In other words, they are f***ed. :britishflag:

QUOTE(Lefty Of Love @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
When Buehrle is throwing a good cut fastball, batters must be paranoid about it, so they look inside all the time and back off the plate.  They simply cannot do this and cover the outside corner as well.  In other words, they are f***ed. :britishflag:

So I guess this is what makes Buehrle soooo good?

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
So I guess this is what makes Buehrle soooo good?

Buerhle's cut fastball sets everything else up I think. He had been struggling the last few weeks, and it was very noticeable his cut fastball wasn't jamming right-handers. He had to go to other pitches such as his change, which he wasn't throwing particularly well either. If he is throwing well, he can leverage his cutter to attack the outside corner with change-ups and the occasional breaking ball and then he is dynamite.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
To go away from the Sox for a bit, the effective cutter is what has made Mariano Rivera one of the most effective closers over the last 7-8 years.  On the rare occasions he doesn't have it, he gets shelled.

I concur with others, BTW, excellent question.

Essentially its the only pitch Rivera has. Everyone knows its coming, they wait for it, and still can hit it. Its also the reason Esteban improved so drastically.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
To go away from the Sox for a bit, the effective cutter is what has made Mariano Rivera one of the most effective closers over the last 7-8 years.  On the rare occasions he doesn't have it, he gets shelled.

I concur with others, BTW, excellent question.

didn't hurt that he could throw that cutter at 95 and break bats like toothpicks. He's first ballot, in my book.