Baseball card collectors, HELP NEEDED!

southsider2k5

You can probably get a Beckett Pricing Guide at your local grocery store. That gives the prices for the cards. Also, if you go to Beckett.com, you can sing up for a pricing guide...or buy it...or something. Besides that, I know nothing anymore about cards.

Edited by tonyho7476

I definitely agree with Tony, get a Beckett. That way you know what they are all worth, which ones are really rookies, ect. You should generally be able to get virtually any card (except for ones that are really in demand, ie Lebron's when they came out) somewhere between the low list price and the high list price.

I used to be a big time collector, but soured on cards. There was just too much stuff that was too expensive, and it got really hard to collect rookie cards because not only are they expensive, pretty much all of them are short-printed. All I collect in cards now is short-printed cards of Northwestern players and the occasional Sox card.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(valponick @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)

F.Y.I. - Graded cards peaked in the market about 5-6 years ago and are pretty much in the decline. Unless BMac was a rookie in 1980 or before I would steer clear of anything professionally graded.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
F.Y.I. - Graded cards peaked in the market about 5-6 years ago and are pretty much in the decline. Unless BMac was a rookie in 1980 or before I would steer clear of anything professionally graded.

While is is true that having your cards graded no longer holds the same value as it did 5-6 years ago your cards aren't worth much of anything if they AREN'T graded.

QUOTE(valponick @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
While is is true that having your cards graded no longer holds the same value as it did 5-6 years ago your cards aren't worth much of anything if they AREN'T graded.

So the moral of the story is baseball cards, for the most part, aren't worth much of anything, regardless of if they are graded or not...

Baseball card companies did this too themselves, creating too many brands, inserts and garbage where no one could keep up.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
So the moral of the story is baseball cards, for the most part, aren't worth much of anything, regardless of if they are graded or not...

Baseball card companies did this too themselves, creating too many brands, inserts and garbage where no one could keep up.

I do agree with that the baseball card companies flooded the market with too many different types of cards, making it impossible/too expensive to try to "collect". I disagree with what you said about them not being worth anything anymore, my old man collects as a hobby and does fairly well selling.

Edited by valponick

QUOTE(valponick @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
I do agree with that the baseball card companies flooded the market with too many different types of cards, making it impossible/too expensive to try to "collect".  I disagree with what you said about them not being worth anything anymore, my old man collects as a hobby and does fairly well selling.

Does he deal in new stuff or primarily older cards (pre 1985)? I used to be pretty heavy into it and luckily got rid of most of my graded and valuable stuff before it lost 50-75% of its value. It hit a lot of collectors hard because they had soo much money invested into it and their collection sharply decreased in value. Notice the lack of baseball card shops now.

I just don't see why people grade the newer cards. Condition became such an important part of the hobby everyone sleeves their good cards right out of the pack.

I used to love collecting and in a few years hopefully will get back into it...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
Thanks for the info guys. 

I am not looking for anything expensive, but I don't want to get ripped off at the sametime.  Basically I want to try to find something cool to get signed and added to my collection.

Then definitely go with the Bowman Chrome cards...They sign very well. Do you know the eraser trick? and u have to go blue sharpie looks much better than black... :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
Does he deal in new stuff or primarily older cards (pre 1985)? I used to be pretty heavy into it and luckily got rid of most of my graded and valuable stuff before it lost 50-75% of its value. It hit a lot of collectors hard because they had soo much money invested into it and their collection sharply decreased in value. Notice the lack of baseball card shops now.

I just don't see why people grade the newer cards. Condition became such an important part of the hobby everyone sleeves their good cards right out of the pack.

I used to love collecting and in a few years hopefully will get back into it...

He deals in all sorts of years/sports but his primary interest/moneymaker is pre-1988 or so NFL rookie cards.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Thanks for the info guys. 

I am not looking for anything expensive, but I don't want to get ripped off at the sametime.  Basically I want to try to find something cool to get signed and added to my collection.

Well don't buy a graded card then, once they are graded you don't want to take them out of the case. You should be able to get a BMac rookie for less than 5 bones off of ebay.

the Beckett.com has the price guides online, and I think you can still get one card checked for free. But if you log out and then back in, you can get another one checked as well. The Bowman Chromes are a good bet, as others on here have said. The pitfall is that most rookies are short-printed, so harder to get. Thankfully, a few of the companies are no more (or at least out of baseball cards). i think Donruss and Playoff had their licenses revoked, so that is two down, and Topps has reported that they were going to limit the amount of set they would produce this coming year. I'll believe it when i see it, though.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

How about the "Just Minor's" cards?  Are they worth anything?

Usually minor league cards have pretty large print runs so they are not all that valuable. The only minor league cards that are sometimes worth a decent amount of money are the team sets. Team sets are hard to find and often even harder to find in good condition.

You did say you were looking for a type of card to get autographed and to be honest that card would look really cool signed. I've always been one to get a less expensive card signed anyway. So if you're buying this card for that reason its a good purchase.