Mariotti chokes us again

iguchi=dank

Could we have a permanent Marriotti thread? He always has thought provoking columns that Sox fans love to discuss. I don't think any true Sox fan ever misses one of Jay's Sox articles, in fact everyone seems to look forward to them. If we limit it to one thread, we'd have a nice history.

Even the Sox fans who threaten my life on the Internet -- are these people angry at birth or is it an acquired condition?

Its funny how people dont understand that lack of a reaction to people like Mariotti is much more impactful than all of this negative attention that he thrives on. Mariotti makes me mad just like he makes alot of fans mad, but I dont go out of my way to read his work anymore. It just isnt worth the effort for me. What am I going to change by crying foul everytime he talks smack about the team I love? Thats his job, and unfortunately he does it well.

I believe in the theory that everyone gets what is coming to them. If Jay is really this horrible person that we all make him out to be, he will for sure talk about the wrong person at the wrong time. It is just bound to happen. Maybe he will get someone to go "Jim Rome-Jim Everett" on him and just get embarrassed and tone it down. Maybe he will take shots at the people that pay his bills like he did with ESPN1000 and get his own ass canned.

One thing is for sure though, nothing like www.firemariotti.com or constant threads about how he talks bad about the white sox is going to change the way he writes. It will just re-enforce it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Lol, I thought this was just hilarious.  On ath, Tony Reali says to Mariotti "Mariotti, how come when the sox lose 1 game you always right a column about them choking but when they win you dont write about them"

How did he respond?

I just don't like the way he appears to relish in the Sox's perceived choke and his calling them the "Wheeze Sox."

The team has won 95 games I believe and just might still win the division.

You would think he would praise the team for its perseverance if the sox do hold on.

I understand not wanting to be a homer but the other papers haven't been as vicious while not being homers. The Southtown guy explained that uh cleveland deserves some credit as well.

My point is as a chicago columnist he might want to explore some other angles a bit. The choke thing is pretty sub-basic and growing old.

I mean OK jay the team may get swept and killed in the playoffs if the team gets in.

So f***ing what?

A chicago team will be in the playoffs.

It almost seems like he wants the team to move from the city to another town.

That would be good for nobody, not him, not his paper, not the city.

Don't want him to be a homer, just write like the other papers.

Couch, for instance, has done a nice job criticiziing in the Sun Times but not being a simplistic moron-otti.

I do want to hear his answer to the question: 'How come every time the team loses he writes the choke column,' and when they win he writes nothing?

I prefer the Southtown, Trib columnists and the Herald.

And Jay, I like Hawk Harrelson too.

He is damn good announcer.

OK, I had to check out Jays rip-job this morning. I retract my statement I made earlier about ignoring him, mostly because he is pretty off-base in this comment:

Then consider the team's general lack of postseason experience. For that reason and others, the Sox would be underdogs against the Angels, a mirror-image team but one playing on a higher plane. They, too, try to win via small ball, but here's the rub: They won a World Series as recently as three years ago behind a manager, Mike Scioscia, who might be the best in the game. The Angels have better starting pitching than the Sox, led by Bartolo Colon, who won for the 21st time Thursday and would be a difficult Game 1 foe even for the white-hot Contreras.

Correct me if I am wrong, but werent the 2002 Angels extremely lacking in the postseason experience department? The Angels have better starting pitching than the White Sox? Why? Because Bartolo Colon won 21 games this year?

Well, not in ERA

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggreg...t=0&season=2005

Not in Wins or losses

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggreg...t=0&season=2005

I even checked to see the Starting pitchers W/L

Sox- 73-44 (I counted BMAC and El Duque's numbers together, which ended up at 11-11)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/pitching?team=chw

Angels- 65-32

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/pitching?team=laa

Angels have less wins, but a slightly better WP%, mostly due to Bartolos 21-8 record.

I will concede that the Angels have better hitting and a better bullpen, but better starting pitching? I dont think so