The Burnett non-trade...

Steve9347

OK, AJ Burnett has lost his last 6 games, and has been clubhouse cancer. Meanwhile, Contreras leads baseball in second-half wins, and BMac has been phenomenal. Boy, oh boy, sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

Marlins: Burnett shown the door

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

News

Apparently the Marlins took the harsh words dealt by pitcher A.J. Burnett on Sunday to heart. A day after Burnett's tirade, in which he accused McKeon's staff of managing scared and creating a depressing and negative atmosphere, Burnett was informed that his services will no longer be needed this year and was told that he will not receive a multi-year contract offer from the team when he becomes a free agent at season's end, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.

Views

Not exactly the way to make friends A.J. This is unlikely to affect the line of teams waiting to sign him this offseason as he'll be one of the better free agent pitchers on the market.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
OK, AJ Burnett has lost his last 6 games, and has been clubhouse cancer.  Meanwhile, Contreras leads baseball in second-half wins, and BMac has been phenomenal.  Boy, oh boy, sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

Thank God we did not make that trade!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Contreras, Marte, McCarthy, and a lower level minor league hitter was the price for Burnett... Can you imagine what this team would look like now?

Actually yes I can imagine it....hmmmmmmm

Oh wait, that was a hypothetical question? :P

It would be pretty bad...but the one constant in both examples is our inability to score runs and get runners in from third base with less than two outs. I'm glad I didn't see that game yesterday, because it sure seemed like a classic White Sox loss.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
For the lack of an offensive move.  I don't think it would be right at all, but KW will be the scapegoat if this team doesn't make the playoffs.

Once again...there really wasn't a solid offensive move to make, and hindsight has proven us right.

Matt Lawton is the only name that you've been able to come up with that has made any sense at all in terms of the fact that he actually did move...and he's certainly no better than anyone else on our bench right now. Hell, he's 6 for 47 since joining the Yankees. Timo gives us better numbers.

Griffey was the best option obviously, but probably as we should have expected, he's hurt. Yeah Manny Ramirez would have been nice, but I mean, come on...like $22 million?

KW can't be faulted for not making a trade if the only trades out there would have made us worse.