Notes: Everett may be headed to the bench...

bjm676

Everett could grab some bench

September 27, 2005

DETROIT -- If designated hitter Carl Everett was unhappy over being demoted from third to sixth in the White Sox' lineup, he better brace for even worse news.

If Everett doesn't pull himself out of a 21-game slump tonight, he could be headed for the bench. After the Sox fell to the Detroit Tigers 4-3 Monday night, manager Ozzie Guillen said he will make a tough decision on Everett, who was twice hit by pitches and went 0-for-2. Everett is hitting .145 (11-for-76) in his last 21 games.

With the American League playoffs starting a week from today, Everett's slump leaves the Sox without a firm No. 3 hitter.

''I feel for Carl,'' Guillen said. ''I think Carl wants to do good for us and help us in this thing. Unfortunately, he isn't swinging the bat good enough to be in that [No. 3] spot.''

Everett has mostly avoided talking with reporters since complaining -- through the media -- about his demotion to sixth Friday. He did, however, speak to the Sun-Times on Sunday.

''I don't believe in slumps,'' he said. ''I just call it baseball. It's a game of ups and downs.''

His complaints stirred controversy at a bad time.

''Everybody wants me to talk about it. But I don't want to,'' Everett said. ''I let the media just sit in their own water.''

Everett said he has no regrets, but objects to implications he is a selfish player.

''That's the last thing that any player on this team would say about me,'' Everett said. ''I think I've done more team- oriented things with this team than any other player on it. That's just a media thing.''

Guillen said he has a plan that would allow Contreras to start the final game of the season on three days' rest if it has playoff implications for the Sox. As of now, that spot would fall to Brandon McCarthy.

''In the last couple of games, if we need to do it, if you're a starter, you'll be in the bullpen,'' Guillen said. ''All my starters they will be in the bullpen and at least throw one inning. I'm going to be like [Florida Marlins manager] Jack McKeon. I'm going to take my chances. I'm not going to wait for tomorrow. Today is the biggest game we play.

''A lot of people say don't do this because tomorrow we're going to play [in the playoffs]. Hey, you don't even know what is going to happen. If we get to the point where we have to use everybody then we will.''

I hope it'll be wrapped up by then. I'm hoping Contreras would pitch Game 1, if we make it. Also, why would Ozzie summon his starters from the bullpen? Does he not have faith in his bullpen after what they've done all year?

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I hope it'll be wrapped up by then.  I'm hoping Contreras would pitch Game 1, if we make it.  Also, why would Ozzie summon his starters from the bullpen?  Does he not have faith in his bullpen after what they've done all year?

Do we have a better left hander in the bullpen than Mark Buehrle? No offense to Neal of course...but you give me the choice between those 2 and I'll take Mark every time. And Hi Damaso! Plus, there's the added issue of long relief...you just don't want some guys pitching 3+ innings. Jenks for example...he can do it and do it well...but you just don't want to waste him if a game is close/tied late and there's a threat of extra innings.

Carl needs a day off. If not a couple. Hopefully either he'll pull it together tonight or the break will help. He can be real useful in the playoffs...just not as a strikeout victim.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
Carl needs a day off.  If not a couple.  Hopefully either he'll pull it together tonight or the break will help.  He can be real useful in the playoffs...just not as a strikeout victim.

He needed a few days off 3 weeks ago. Keeping him in the lineup EVERY DAY has done nothing but put this offense in a hole. Considering we have quite a few guys who are struggling (Rowand, Uribe, AJP), we can't afford to keep him in the lineup.

Remember when Everett was hitting over .300 against lefties? Well, that number is down to .263 with a .715 OPS.

Why do we keep insisting that we need him for the playoffs? If he keeps staying in the lineup, there might not be a playoff game to be played. He's had plenty of chances to get out of this slump, and he continues to fail.

I don't think we're saying we need him...I think we're saying that when he's playing well he's useful.

We have 2 possibly decent backup options in B.A. and Borchard right now. But I don't think that either one of them is as useful as a Carl Everett when Everett is playing well.

Only problem...of course, is that Everett isn't playing well at all.

Ozzie said that AJ will continue to bat 3rd against righties and Rowand will bat 3rd against lefties from now on. As for Everett's replacement, how about DHing Pods and inserting Ozuna? At least that guy can bunt. Rowand's "bunt" last night with Willie on, was pathetic.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Ozzie said that AJ will continue to bat 3rd against lefties and Rowand will bat 3rd against lefties from now on.  So, look for Aaron back in there today.  As for Everett's replacement,  how about DHing Pods and inserting Ozuna?  At least that guy can bunt.  Rowand's "bunt" last night with Willie on, was pathetic.

Which is exactly the reason that Aaron shouldn't be batting #2 or #3 in this line up. He can't bunt to save his life, and his power numbers are way down. He needs to be #6ish in the line up.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Which is exactly the reason that Aaron shouldn't be batting #2 or #3 in this line up.  He can't bunt to save his life, and his power numbers are way down.  He needs to be #6ish in the line up.

Against a lefty, I have no problem with Rowand batting 3rd. He should have been there all season. Against a righty, Rowand should be batting 7th. What I don't understand is why we don't use more hit-and-runs with Rowand at the plate. The more you make him focus on staying on the pitch, the better he'll be. I listed to the postgame show last night, and people were just irate that Ozzie keeps asking him to bunt. Bill Melton was very, very critical of things last night.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
The lineup I like against righties now would have Gload at 1B and PK DHing.  Gload is another lefthanded bat in the lineup, plays the field well, and can give PK a day or two off in the field.  Thoughts?

If Gload isn't getting playing time against a righty, he's not going to be in there against a lefty. Like it or not, Gload's in the doghouse.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
The lineup I like against righties now would have Gload at 1B and PK DHing.  Gload is another lefthanded bat in the lineup, plays the field well, and can give PK a day or two off in the field.  Thoughts?

I like that a lot. However Ozzie wont go for that.

He will play Everett until he compltely breaks in half.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Give Carl a few days off to try and get him back on track

Carl Everett is not bigger than this team. I don't understand the philosophy that a lot of people have that this team needs Carl Everett. There's one integral part of our offense, and it's Paul Konerko.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Carl Everett is not bigger than this team.  I don't understand the philosophy that a lot of people have that this team needs Carl Everett.  There's one integral part of our offense, and it's Paul Konerko.

I contend that when Carl is going well he is integral to this team. When Everett is hitting, he is the best option in the three hole this team has. While I think that right now he is no better than several other options, if Ozzie is going to play Everett everyday in the playoffs, the Sox need him to hit