Who is getting the family guy dvd today?

Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I am headed there after work/the gym to get that and the new Queen release!  :headbang

I can't advacate getting anything Queen...but I got the DVD...gonna watch it when I get home. If you are in the Oakbrook/Downers Grove area, its like $14.99 at Fry's. Booya.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
I am headed there after work/the gym to get that and the new Queen release!  :headbang

My buddy returned from lunch break at 10:05 with the new Family DVD in hand.

I have the new Queen sitting next to me right now. Well...a version of it. I will head to the store to get it when I have money again.

I don't get the extreme negative reviews on the new Queen disc. I was planning on writing more on it after more listens, but in a nutshell:

People on Amazon are giving it 1 star and so forth (of the negative reviews) and it made me think. On one hand you have the two willing members of Queen doing this, one of whom is pretty much as responsible for the "Queen" sound as Freddie was. You have the songs, they haven't changed. Then you have Rodgers singing. He is FAR from a bad vocalist, and many say this is the best he has ever sounded. So I am a little confused on how this is getting torn to shreds by some people. I will give in to the "3 stars...it's just not Freddie" crowd, but if you enjoy Queen, you will enjoy it for the fact that they are the same songs, but with a different voice. He is never out of key, he never sounds "unprofessional"...it just isn't Freddie.

It hit me the other night while listening to it also. So many people complain that it isn't Queen without Freddie. This is true, I guess. But when Freddie died, one of our generations most unique guitarists was silenced from the songs that he also defined. Brian May's guitar sound, style, and skills were just as important to what made Queen as was Freddie's voice. It can also be argued that his voice was key, as he sang numerous songs, as did Taylor. If this is what it takes for us to get May back in the music world, then I think I am fine with it.

As for "dishonoring" Freddie, that's BS. I've read that a few times. While listening to the disc Queen, wait for "'39" to end, and for Brian to start talking. If his intro to "Love Of My Life" doesn't choke you up...then you aren't alive or you aren't a Queen fan. Brian also sounds fantastic on that song, BTW.

I like the new CD quite a bit. But then again, Queen was my first musical obsession, and Brian May was my first "guitar hero".

I was pissy at first at the idea of Queen without Freddy. I then heard a cut from a show that Paul did with Brian and Roger. Oh man was it good. It took the first listen to get past that it wasn't Freddy and once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it which is why I decided that I want the CD and DVD. I love Queen - they are my all-time favorite band. I am only missing one CD - the Flash Gordon soundtrack - I think I have been putting off buying it because I want to keep thinking there is another Queen CD out there that I don't have (even though I wore out my cassette version of it lol).

Just from interviews I have seen with Freddy and other things I have read, I really think Freddy would be tickled that here, 15 years or so after his death, his music is taking on a new form and living again.

From what I have read, they are doing quite well with their overseas concerts.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
The one Queen song that brings me to tears just about every time is "Who Wants To Live Forever."

Yeah. But what is sad is you know Mr. Mercury would have LOVED to have lived forever if he could have.

With the new "Queen" also, it has to be remembered that Mercury has been gone now almost as long as Queen had been around at the time of his death. That's a LONG time to honor somebodies death when that honoring means killing your own career.

I'm not so sure how much Mercury would have loved this. He was a VERY private person, basically had few friends, and trusted nobody. He felt most people only wanted to be with because of who he was. I could see him as the members of Queen and Rodgers doing nothing more than using his legacy to further their own. I never got the impression that Freddie was a nice guy.

Though the fact that Deacon is still staying away out of his love and respect tells me there was something there. Though even from what I always heard from May, Mercury never seemed like he was "friends" with the band. He was a strange cat, that's for sure.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
Yeah. But what is sad is you know Mr. Mercury would have LOVED to have lived forever if he could have.

With the new "Queen" also, it has to be remembered that Mercury has been gone now almost as long as Queen had been around at the time of his death. That's a LONG time to honor somebodies death when that honoring means killing your own career.

I'm not so sure how much Mercury would have loved this. He was a VERY private person, basically had few friends, and trusted nobody. He felt most people only wanted to be with because of who he was. I could see him as the members of Queen and Rodgers doing nothing more than using his legacy to further their own. I never got the impression that Freddie was a nice guy.

Though the fact that Deacon is still staying away out of his love and respect tells me there was something there. Though even from what I always heard from May, Mercury never seemed like he was "friends" with the band. He was a strange cat, that's for sure.

The VH1 Behind The Music did allege that he was into the German leather scene in the early 80s. I don't know if that's the deal or what.

What amazed me about british rock in the 70s is how much of a business it was - and for the bands still around that it is.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards don't get along or socialize much. You'd never knowing it seeing them prance and mince on stage though.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
The VH1 Behind The Music did allege that he was into the German leather scene in the early 80s. I don't know if that's the deal or what.

What amazed me about british rock in the 70s is how much of a business it was - and for the bands still around that it is.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards don't get along or socialize much. You'd never knowing it seeing them prance and mince on stage though.

But that is kind of the thing with most bands that have been together for a long time also though. Slayer basically hates each other and they never speak when not working, and I believe they even tour seperately.

Many bands also now, thanks to technology, don't even live in the same states and do much of their work and "jamming" together (and especially recording) through satellites.

I know Steve Earle would send his tapes backs and forth to people he works with.

The only times a band REALLY needs to be a "BAND" is in the formative years. But that could also be one of the big problems with some of these bands also. Maybe if the Stones would get together in a dingy little practice space and play LIVE together again, maybe something truely great could happen again.

I know when Izzy Stradlin left Guns N Roses he took up shop in a Chicago building that had about 10 other little local bands practicing in there. The place was a run down dump, and Izzy would sneak in and out with his band. The sneaking happened because all of the bands were the same types of bands as his and they knew he was there. He would hang with a few of the people from time to time. But anyways. It must have been ideal writing and working atmosphere as the first Ju Ju Hounds CD is friggin' great stuff, worlds better than his final junk with GnR.

Oh, and Freddie surely was into the German scene. That was where his look came from during the 80's.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
You mean the Queen tribute CD, right?

:D

No, I definitely mean the "Return of the Champions" (Queen + Paul Rodgers) CD lol. There are several tribute CDs out there, but I haven't the desire to buy them yet.

I listened to the first disc this morning and I was blown away by it. Paul Rodgers kicks ass. :britishflag: It was good to hear that Freddy's mom was there - I remember when she went on stage with Brian and Roger when Queen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, brought tears to my eyes. This CD is about 10000x better than I expected - best $23 I spent this year - can't wait to hear the second CD and see the included DVD! :headbang :headbang :headbang

me -> :notworthy :snr

Critic was being a funny guy.

Hey, what right do you have to comment on Queen or Paul Rodgers, Critic? You have told me before that you HATE classic rock. Hmmmm, maybe we found two bands that you actually DO like from the past ROCK world? Few bands are as "70's Arena Rock" as Queen and Bad Co.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Critic was being a funny guy.

Hey, what right do you have to comment on Queen or Paul Rodgers, Critic? You have told me before that you HATE classic rock. Hmmmm, maybe we found two bands that you actually DO like from the past ROCK world? Few bands are as "70's Arena Rock" as Queen and Bad Co.

there are exceptions that prove every rule, and as a rule I HATE classic rock.

Examples of "classic rock" bands I hate that get played on the Loop quite a bit:

The Doors

The Who

Pink Floyd

CCR

Grateful Dead

Rolling Stones

Examples of "classic rock" bands I like:

Thin Lizzy

Queen

Rush

Boston

Van Halen

FWIW, Bad Company falls into that "don't like 'em but don't hate 'em" category along with bands like Led Zeppelin and the Beatles

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
No, I definitely mean the "Return of the Champions" (Queen + Paul Rodgers) CD lol.  There are several tribute CDs out there, but I haven't the desire to buy them yet. 

I listened to the first disc this morning and I was blown away by it.  Paul Rodgers kicks ass.  :britishflag: It was good to hear that Freddy's mom was there - I remember when she went on stage with Brian and Roger when Queen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, brought tears to my eyes.    This CD is about 10000x better than I expected - best $23 I spent this year - can't wait to hear the second CD and see the included DVD!  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

me ->  :notworthy  :snr

Sorry, but Queen without Freddy = not Queen.

I'm glad you like the CD, and I'm sure the performance is quite good, but I personally would just rather listen to the songs as performed with Freddy. If the original can't be topped, I'll stick with the original.