Whats wrong with this picture

Kyyle23

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player....layer_id=119976

I was watching the Red Sox/Blue Jays game on Gamecast when John Olerud came up. I stared at his picture and just couldnt figure out why it looked, well, wrong.

I think this is the first time i can recall him not wearing a safety helmet on his head, and actually wearing a real hat.

Olerud showed promise early on at Washington State, where he was named Baseball America's NCAA Player of the Year in 1987 and '88. His senior year, he recovered from a frightening brain aneurysm in January to hit .359 with 30 RBIs in 27 games that spring. The scare would always be with him though, and he began wearing a batting helmet on the field for safety.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Olerud showed promise early on at Washington State, where he was named Baseball America's NCAA Player of the Year in 1987 and '88. His senior year, he recovered from a frightening brain aneurysm in January to hit .359 with 30 RBIs in 27 games that spring. The scare would always be with him though, and he began wearing a batting helmet on the field for safety.

Does that article indicate that his brain aneurysm was a result of a game injury, or was it something that happened and he just figured "better to be safe than sorry."?

Just before Olerud joined the Jays, there were some doubts that he would ever be lifting a bat or glove again. After a regular early morning workout at the college's Hollingberry Fieldhouse, Olerud collapsed. The diagnosis was a brain aneurysm, a defect in a blood vessel that caused bleeding into his spinal column.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
I was going to start a thread on how I looked at his stats the other day and never really realized how good he is.

.473 OBP in 1993???

Look at the BB/K ratio too.

that was the year he almost hit .400, no?