94.7 the Zone

CubsSuck1

That station cant hold a format. It has changed so many times i cant even remember all of them. I even remember way back when it was Z95.

It takes an awful lot of effort and reciprocated effort from advertisers too keep a station on the same format. Especially a station like the Zone trying to cut in on Q101's market. If you are going up against a monster like that, you better bring the big guns. The Zone started strong, but never maintained their alternative mantra, slipped into 80's rock and mainstream rock(crap), and now it seems as if they just gave up. Too bad really, competition gives you better quality.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
That station cant hold a format.  It has changed so many times i cant even remember all of them.  I even remember way back when it was Z95.

It takes an awful lot of effort and reciprocated effort from advertisers too keep a station on the same format.  Especially a station like the Zone trying to cut in on Q101's market. If you are going up against a monster like that, you better bring the big guns. The Zone started strong, but never maintained their alternative mantra, slipped into 80's rock and mainstream rock(crap), and now it seems as if they just gave up. Too bad really, competition gives you better quality.

Agreed...it got too Guns and Rosesey for me...The Zone never really had an identity. At first they were Q101 the 2nd, then they went hard rock, then they went 80's-90's rock and now they gone...

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Agreed...it got too Guns and Rosesey for me...The Zone never really had an identity. At first they were Q101 the 2nd, then they went hard rock, then they went 80's-90's rock and now they gone...

Last time I was in that city I thoroughly enjoyed the Zone...I thought their play lists and rotations were better than the ones on Q101, and that they played less of the incredibly crappy rock that was being put out these days. Plus, they had a much better lineup of DJ's than Q101.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Personally, I miss 103.5 Fire and 103.5 when it played some heavy metal.  It got pretty bad after it died.

Are you talking about 103.5 the blaze? I remember them, good stuff.

One of my favorite late night shows on Q101 was Zoltar, Brother from Another Planet. He used to rock out late night with some crazy alternative/industrial.

94.7 - Z-95

103.5 - The Blaze

103.5 - Rock 1035

Ah, the good ol' days

Personally, I like Q101's new format of "everything on shuffle" You don't hear the same stuff all the time. Now, if they can only get rid of Mancow.

But with the iPod, if you don't like the radio, and the constant glut of commercials, just turn that on.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)

when was being guns n rosey a bad thing????

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
when was being guns n rosey a bad thing????

Emphasis on "too"... I enjoy my occasional rocking out to Guns & Roses like anyone else. But I when I started to hear "November Rain" everyday on the drive home. Thats a little too much for me...

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Emphasis on "too"... I enjoy my occasional rocking out to Guns & Roses like anyone else. But I when I started to hear "November Rain" everyday on the drive home. Thats a little too much for me...

Honestly, I think the change has to do with the change of 104.3 which has been just about the longest running radio station in chicago. There was an open market, and 94.7 took it.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
94.7 - Z-95

103.5 - The Blaze

103.5 - Rock 1035

Ah, the good ol' days

Personally,  I like Q101's new format of "everything on shuffle" You don't hear the same stuff all the time. Now, if they can only get rid of Mancow.

But with the iPod, if you don't like the radio, and the constant glut of commercials, just turn that on.

"everything on shuffle" means that the station's number one songs are played 30 times an hour instead of 20.

With Zone gone, look for Q101 to tighten its "shuffle" up.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
"everything on shuffle" means that the station's number one songs are played 30 times an hour instead of 20.

With Zone gone, look for Q101 to tighten its "shuffle" up.

"shuffle" = regular rotation + too many Talking Heads songs.

I enjoyed the Extreme Zone after midnight, but just like 94.1 JJO in Madison, what started as a nice little hard rock/heavy metal station turned into the heavier end of the Loop's playlist.

The thing I'll miss about the death of the Zone is not hearing Pantera at 3am on the way home from work on Sunday night/Monday morning.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
"shuffle" = regular rotation + too many Talking Heads songs.

I enjoyed the Extreme Zone after midnight, but just like 94.1 JJO in Madison, what started as a nice little hard rock/heavy metal station turned into the heavier end of the Loop's playlist.

The thing I'll miss about the death of the Zone is not hearing Pantera at 3am on the way home from work on Sunday night/Monday morning.

f***in ay'.

They were the only station to play Pantera, Lamb of God, Classic Megadeth...even if it was after hours.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
That station cant hold a format.  It has changed so many times i cant even remember all of them.  I even remember way back when it was Z95.

It takes an awful lot of effort and reciprocated effort from advertisers too keep a station on the same format.  Especially a station like the Zone trying to cut in on Q101's market. If you are going up against a monster like that, you better bring the big guns. The Zone started strong, but never maintained their alternative mantra, slipped into 80's rock and mainstream rock(crap), and now it seems as if they just gave up. Too bad really, competition gives you better quality.

twas sad to hear oldies playin when i turned my radio on to my first preset yesterday.

i thought the exact opposite. they started off playing bad alternative music, like q101. then they started getting better, getting better djs and playing real rock, heavier, more melodic rock along with some classic stuff. like the only bad thing on it was their overplaying of the political systemofadown. and they had cool segments like "midday metallica", "90's @ nine", "fight club", "extreme zone", "top 20", and "hard drive". hard drive was the best, first place i always heard the best new music first. and of course, the 40 min. non-stop was cool cause ya knew they'd play music for the first 40 min of the hour and then between :45 and :50, so ya could skip the commercials. i guess no more radio for me, most of the loop is too light for my liking. 95 wiil rock is cool, but there based in kenosha, so its' tough getting em here, unless its a car radio. twas a good ride while it lasted.

Edited by thelatinoheat_30