The Official "Fire Ozzie" Thread

fathom

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
I know most people look at the whole what he has with ties to the franchise. But he has many more ties here, IMO.

So his decision would have to be based off something else.

He loves how the guys play down there. He would have a better team down there. He lives in FLA. He hasn't been criticized like crazy down there. It would be pretty easy. I would be all good with Ozzie staying as manager as long as we had someone decent as a bench coach.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, OG sucks as a manager. He can't manage, which is a large part of the job. He is, on the other hand, a tremendous cheerleader. He'd easily be the captain of the pep squad if they were to create one.

In other news, I'm beginning to think we could possibly do something if we were to make the playoffs. Hell, I guess we could get hot for 11 games in October. Stranger things have happened. I only have one question. Wasn't Detroit supposed to roll over and lose all of their desire recently?

EDIT: And my slight change of attitude might be due to the fact that I haven't seen a game in a long time.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
Ozzie's better suited for the NL than the AL.  Smallball is a much better approach in a pitcher's park with no DH.

It can definitely work in the al but when it revolves around 1 player and the player injures his groin then it definitely can't work anymore.

Well, OG sucks as a manager. He can't manage, which is a large part of the job. He is, on the other hand, a tremendous cheerleader. He'd easily be the captain of the pep squad if they were to create one.

You really believe this collection of talent we have was worthy of winning 94 games without a good manager?

Tough crowd.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
It can definitely work in the al but when it revolves around 1 player and the player injures his groin then it definitely can't work anymore.

When you have an offense that is poor at hitting, smallball isn't the greatest idea because those kinds of teams can't afford to just give up outs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:13 AM)

Yes, Pods injury hurt. However, once it gets warm out and the ball is flying out of the Cell, it's kinda pointless playing for one run when the number 9 hitter on the opposition can come up and hit an opposite field homer the next inning. There's a lot of moves that would have to be made to make the Sox a smallball team. Only the 1-2 hitters are good at that type of style. You would think that guys like Uribe and Rowand would be perfect for that style, but they're pretty awful in terms of offensive execution.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
When you have an offense that is poor at hitting, smallball isn't the greatest idea because those kinds of teams can't afford to just give up outs.

Well that's what I kind of mean. It can work if you have the right collection of players, right now we built this smallball team on one player, if you're going to do it you need more then 1 guy who can play that game.

Ozzie wanted less power, and more speed in the lineup. KW went out and got Pods for Lee. KW did a tremendous job during the offseason with this team in terms of getting the players Ozzie wanted. I guarantee he won't come close to matching the type of success he had last offseason in this upcoming offseason. All the pieces fell into place for him to get AJP and Iguchi.

You can't tell me that having Blum hit in the 8th doesn't get the players talking about what this guy is doing.

Was it Oz's fault that Crede couldn't attend the game for

family matters and KW got him Ozuna and fricking Blum

and Widger and Timo and stiffs like that as his bench?

Oz is not god to me but I agree I'm sick of fathom's blaming him for everything.

The fact we have been consistently getting beat by Det's and KC's and all the teams that have been beating our ass the past 7 weeks makes me think we miss Frank and Maggs and played over our heads.

Garland has sucked also and Fred and Mark haven't been as good.

Is Oz to blame for all that?????

If Oz goes to Florida we should hire Piniella ... wait, he'd command too

much money and our owner and co owners or whatever the hell we have up

top won't pay for Piniella.

Oz has done a good job IMO and I'm as sick as anybody about not being

able to beat miserable Detroit the past 2 nights with everything on the line!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
He sucks.

If he sucks, so does KW and Reinsdork and the co owners.

Our talent is NOT GREAT!

Our talent IS great. Our skill and ability to put it together and get our collective heads out of our asses is NOT GREAT.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:21 AM)
Was it Oz's fault that Crede couldn't attend the game for

family matters and KW got him Ozuna and fricking Blum

and Widger and Timo and stiffs like that as his bench?

Oz is not god to me but I agree I'm sick of fathom's blaming him for everything.

The fact we have been consistently getting beat by Det's and KC's and all the teams that have been beating our ass the past 7 weeks makes me think we miss Frank and Maggs and played over our heads.

Garland has sucked also and Fred and Mark haven't been as good.

Is Oz to blame for all that?????

These pitchers would have had a lot better numbers for their starts if Ozzie would have just refrained from letting them start that one extra inning, etc. These guys have all thrown a ton of pitches this season, and most of them have been "stressful" pitches due to all the close games. And NO ONE forced Ozzie to make those guys his permanent bench players. Why has he chosen Timo over Gload? Why has he chosen Marte over Cotts for late game situations? Why did he choose Duque over McCarthy for about 3 starts too long?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
This site needs a cross reference feature.

Anyone who was criticizing Ozzie yesterday for not PHing for Pierzynski is a hypocrite for lynching him today for playing Blum.

We all wanted a ph today...but why Blum? He was our 4th best option off of the bench.

Our talent IS great. Our skill and ability to put it together and get our collective heads out of our asses is NOT GREAT.

It is? You think Carl Everett is great? Jermaine Dye (who I agree has been a plus) is great? Joe Crede great? Juan Uribe great?? Yes, Paulie is great. I think AJ may be close to great.

Aaron great? Pods GREAT?

Give me a break.

It's easy to blame the manager so I'll give in and won't type in any more on this thread. You win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
We all wanted a ph today...but why Blum?  He was our 4th best option off of the bench.

I don't know how many times I've said it this year,

but.....

If he's on the roster, he's in danger of being used. -- No surprise there

Let's bring up that Blum thread. There was a ton of people defending him with the sub .200 BA, useless defense, and 4 extra base hits.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)

It is? You think Carl Everett is great? Jermaine Dye (who I agree has been a plus) is great? Joe Crede great? Juan Uribe great?? Yes, Paulie is great. I think AJ may be close to great.

Aaron great? Pods GREAT?

Give me a break.

It's easy to blame the manager so I'll give in and won't type in any more on this thread. You win.

Yay, we win!

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)

but.....

Let's bring up that Blum thread. There was a ton of people defending him with the sub .200 BA, useless defense, and 4 extra base hits.

Me :ph34r: And I was pissed to see him in there today so you win, me=dumbass :chair

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)

but.....

Cheat,

Here is the butchers bill on Blum.

.105 with RISP compared to Timo .237

He is 0 for 12 this year with RISP and 2 outs.

But Ozzie had his gut, and we sit here with a loss. Blum has sat on the bench and hasnt played in a while.

Ozzie played everyone all the time, resting good amounts of our starters. And felt no pressure, why because we had a 15 game lead. He squandered that lead, playing Timo in just about every possible position. Now that he is in official panic mode, he is playing his go to guys and they are dying. He is afraid to make a change at this point, figuring it will backfire.

Whatever Gload did to get on Ozzies bad side, holy s***.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)

Aaron great? Pods GREAT?

Give me a break.

Uuuum, can you tell me where I said that any certain player was great? No. I said talent. Every player has a talent, else they would not be in the f***ing MLB. Difficult concept? I dont think so. Carl Everett has talent. He has power and he is a vocal leader. Jermaine Dye has talent. Superior defense, good power. Joe Crede - Very cluth, EXCELLENt defense. Juan Uribe - strong arm, good D. Aaron - Awesome defense. Pods - Fastest guy in MLB, distracts pitcher, good bunter.

Do you see that? Do you see how everyone has a certain skill they are very good at...wow! :headshake

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Cheat,

Here is the butchers bill on Blum.

.105 with RISP compared to  Timo .237

He is 0 for 12 this year with RISP and 2 outs.

But Ozzie had his gut, and we sit here with a loss.  Blum has sat on the bench and hasnt played in a while. 

Ozzie played everyone all the time, resting good amounts of our starters.  And felt no pressure, why because we had a 15 game lead.  He squandered that lead, playing Timo in just about every possible position.  Now that he is in official panic mode, he is playing his go to guys and they are dying.  He is afraid to make a change at this point, figuring it will backfire. 

Whatever Gload did to get on Ozzies bad side, holy s***.

Ozzie spit the bit, BECAUSE he listened to outside pressure.

All he heard yesterday and today before the game was why didn't you pinch hit for AJ?

So when a key situation came up tonight, he had to make a move to make it look like he was playing the matchups.

If he had turned to AJ in that situation, you know Walker was coming in from the bullpen to face him, so it was a no win situation sending him up there. -- Blum, who I hate, and I'm pretty much playing devil's advocate here, was probably your best option after Borchard because he is a switch "hitter"