Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
And Jermaine Dye's had a better season than Maggs this year, and has pretty much hit for the same power for about $8M less. Thomas and Everett, well Everett after the 1st half has pretty much stunk.

Better season then Maggs had in 04. Not from 01-03, once those two got injured last year the team basically died.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
That alone doesn't make up for the amount of runs scored. Cleveland has a better offense than us. They're offense isn't playing over their heads. What they did in the 2nd half AFTER guys like Boone and Martinez were hitting below .200 is remarkable.

Playing .900+ ball isn't over their heads? I agree, their offense is better than ours but not .900 better. And the question had nothing to do with Cleveland, I just wanted to know because our execution sucks.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
That's because we had good pitching. Remember when JG and MB were pretty much a lock to win everygame? We only had to score about 2 runs which is what we're still doing now.

The pitching obviously isn't the same, but I see a big difference between the offense of the first 2 months and what we call our offense now.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Better season then Maggs had in 04.  Not from 01-03, once those two got injured last year the team basically died.

The point still is, if we had Carlos Lee hitting in the #3 spot, how many more runs do you think we would have scored? His .282 looks godly, compared to the way Rowand, A.J and Everett are hitting the ball in the #3 spot right now.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Remember when we held a lead in like the first 30 or so games of the season?

Yeah, tell me Pods means nothing.

Frank meant something too, though I will agree. But Pods means a lot as well.

We were winning because of our pitching. We pitched out of our f***ing minds in April and May. Our offense barely was able to scrap a few runs together. We were beating the Indians (who couldnt hit at all) a bunch of times by one run. Well guess what they started to hit and we havent. Our pitching is no longer giving up a run or 2. Its now 3 or 4. This translates into losses now instead of wins.

Pods was reaking havoc on the basepaths but wasnt exactly scoring a lot during this time. Remember all of the crap at the allstar break about how pods was one dimesional. He was fast, but he didnt score a lot of runs, etc.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Playing .900+ ball isn't over their heads? I agree, their offense is better than ours but not .900 better. And the question had nothing to do with Cleveland, I just wanted to know because our execution sucks.

That's because Cleveland's pitching has been much better. You get good pitching with the way Cleveland have been hitting, they are going to win a lot of games.

EDIT: And our execution sucks. Like Pods' bad BA/RISP. Just saying if we still had Carlos Lee with his good BA/RISP we'd be scoring a lot more runners from 2nd and 3rd.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
SBs are overrated.

Not to the opposing pitchers. I saw too many pitchers laying meatballs right down the plate for Iguchi, throwing pitches to first with a bit of giddyup but the ball ended up in the stands or near the walls. I saw too much of Podsednik taking a huge ass lead while the pitcher just crumbles in the 1st inning. I saw too much of defenders rushing a throw to get Podsednik just to realize they focused more on velocity than accuracy.

All of this because they feared little ol' powerless worthless Scott Podsednik getting on and stealing a base.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
Dude, his average draft position in fantasy drafts the past two seasons has been in about the third round.

Nobody new who Luis Vizcaino was when the deal went down. Pods was a waiver wire reject, and there were several people here wo said just that.

SBs are overrated.

:o Totally dumb argument.

1.) You stated FANTASY baseball stats.

2.) No one knew who Vizcaino was huh?

3.) Stolen bases are overrated? I NEVER want to see you cheer in a game thread or anything about SB's then. How is getting 1/4 of the way closer overrated? Not to mention sometimes stealing 2 bases and getting 1/2 way there.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
That's because Cleveland's pitching has been much better. You get good pitching with the way Cleveland have been hitting, they are going to win a lot of games.

EDIT: And our execution sucks. Like Pods' bad BA/RISP. Just saying if we still had Carlos Lee with his good BA/RISP we'd be scoring a lot more runners from 2nd and 3rd.

Nobody plays .850+ a full season.

You have to admit they're playing over their heads right now, and making up for their poor first half quite well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
The point still is, if we had Carlos Lee hitting in the #3 spot, how many more runs do you think we would have scored? His .282 looks godly, compared to the way Rowand, A.J and Everett are hitting the ball in the #3 spot right now.

And Pods .352 obp looks godly to what we would have had to put in the leadoff spot which probably would have been Aaron and his .329 obp. Carlos's obp is pretty ugly as well for someone in his spot.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
The pitching obviously isn't the same, but I see a big difference between the offense of the first 2 months and what we call our offense now.

Remember Konerko was terrible in the 1st half of the season, so was Dye in the 1st couple of months etc. and Pods was doing good. Now it's vice versa.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
:o Totally dumb argument.

1.) You stated FANTASY baseball stats.

2.) No one knew who Vizcaino was huh?

3.) Stolen bases are overrated? I NEVER want to see you cheer in a game thread or anything about SB's then. How is getting 1/4 of the way closer overrated? Not to mention sometimes stealing 2 bases and getting 1/2 way there.

What's the point in stealing a base if you're not going to drive them in from 2nd anyway? And without Pods SB ability right now, he's pretty much useless, even though he'll still get on base for ya.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
Remember Konerko was terrible in the 1st half of the season, so was Dye in the 1st couple of months etc. and Pods was doing good. Now it's vice versa.

You guys are better with the stats, but from what I remember, those couple of runs the 1st inning we got at the beginning sure aren't coming in like they used to.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)

Carl is hitting .294 with risp.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
What's the point in stealing a base if you're not going to drive them in from 2nd anyway? And without Pods SB ability right now, he's pretty much useless, even though he'll still get on base for ya.

How is that Pods' fault that his teammates can't get him over?

As far as I am concerned, there is no use in arguing. A.) It will not affect the team at all. B.) It's late. C.) It's still not going to affect the team. D.) We're playing like s***, no executing and it's up to the players not the posters.

G'night guys.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Nobody plays .850+ a full season.

You have to admit they're playing over their heads right now, and making up for their poor first half quite well.

Yeah I as talking about how they've played in the 2nd half, you wouldn't expect them to do it for a full season, but it's not suprising what they've done in the 2nd half with their schedule, and the way their offense and pitching has been going.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Well that is great for the year.  However how is Carl hitting in September, in crunch time.

I'm not trying to compare Carl to Carlos here cause it isn't a comparison, dbaho just brought up the risp stat so I brought up Carl's numbers. The Carlos Lee I remember wasn't exactly the most clutch player either, he loved to swing first pitch and pop up in a big situation.