Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 05:24 AM)
Yeah I as talking about how they've played in the 2nd half, you wouldn't expect them to do it for a full season, but it's not suprising what they've done in the 2nd half with their schedule, and the way their offense and pitching has been going.

I'm just thankful they totally underachieved during the first part of the season. Who knows how far out we'd be if they played anywhere close to their abilities. I don't think there's any argument about which team has more talent.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
And Pods .352 obp looks godly to what we would have had to put in the leadoff spot which probably would have been Aaron and his .329 obp.  Carlos's obp is pretty ugly as well for someone in his spot.

Well who knoes if Rowand would still have an OBP of .329. I tend to think he would have a better K/BB ratio, and a little higher OBP as he'd just be trying to get on base more instead of driving runs in. Even he said and I know irish71 remembers this, that he changed his swing a little after the San Diego series.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
I'm just thankful they totally underachieved during the first part of the season.  Who knows how far out we'd be if they played anywhere close to their abilities.  I don't think there's any argument about which team has more talent.

It's even more fun to think about the possibilities for next year...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
How is that Pods' fault that his teammates can't get him over?

Wouldn't you want to bring in a guy who can then. And that's my argument all along, it's easier to find a good player to replace Pods, than it is to find one who can replace say Juan Uribe. If you get Furcal, and then sign a Brian Giles, doesn't that look much better than what we have now with Pods and Uribe?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
Well who knoes if Rowand would still have an OBP of .329. I tend to think he would have a better K/BB ratio, and a little higher OBP as he'd just be trying to get on base more instead of driving runs in. Even he said and I know irish71 remembers this, that he changed his swing a little after the San Diego series.

I remember that too and that's cause he said he wanted to hit more homeruns... :bang

Anyways, we've ran this thread up to 18 pages and have got no where, everyone still feels the same way they did before :lol: I think it's just time to stop and agree to disagree. :cheers

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
Not to the opposing pitchers. I saw too many pitchers laying meatballs right down the plate for Iguchi, throwing pitches to first with a bit of giddyup but the ball ended up in the stands or near the walls. I saw too much of Podsednik taking a huge ass lead while the pitcher just crumbles in the 1st inning. I saw too much of defenders rushing a throw to get Podsednik just to realize they focused more on velocity than accuracy.

All of this because they feared little ol' powerless worthless Scott Podsednik getting on and stealing a base.

Pods is 6 for 20 since july 23rd. He sucks.

Some of you need to come to terms with the fact, like I did, that Pods isn't as valuable as the average major league outfielder. He's the sexy player to have on your team, but he's just not that great. Especially when not running.

EDIT: replace running with stealing bases effectively.

Edited by 3E8

Still can't believe people overlook his first half in favor of the second half.

You can't do what he did in the first half and be a bad baseball player.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Pods is 6 for 20 since july 23rd. He sucks.

I suppose using your logic, whatever happens lately for a ballplayer is how it will be from now on. Contreras will be lights out the rest of his career. Hermanson's back will continue being bad and he will blow save after save. Joe Crede is going to be Mr. Clutch .300 hitter the rest of his career.

Pfft.

Edited by YahtzeeSox

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Some of you need to come to terms with the fact, like I did, that Pods isn't as valuable as the average major league outfielder.  He's the sexy player to have on your team, but he's just not that great.  Especially when not running.

Agreed.

Here were my hopes going into the season.

1) Pods would suck, but the team would win in spite of him.

2) Everett would get off to a hot start out of the gate and carry the team.

3) Frank would come back and rock.

4) Everett & Frank's awesomeness combined with Pods' suckitude would force the Sox to bench him before the ASB.

5) I would live happily ever after.

I was most happy with Pods performace around the first week of May. He was on pace to walk about 100 times, and had an OBP near .400, despite hitting well below what he is now. He's only walked a little over 20 times since then.

I didn't care about his SB total then. I don't care about it now. I just want him to get on base. Not make outs. Any way possible. -- If that includes stealing a base, good. Don't get caught. If that means batting .450, good, though i'd like to see the ball out of the infield once in a while. If it means leaning into a pitch than by all means do it.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
Still can't believe people overlook his first half in favor of the second half.

You can't do what he did in the first half and be a bad baseball player.

I suppose using your logic, whatever happens lately for a ballplayer is how it will be from now on. Contreras will be lights out the rest of his career. Hermanson's back will continue being bad and he will blow save after save. Joe Crede is going to be Mr. Clutch .300 hitter the rest of his career.

Pfft.

So basically by your logic, if a guy hits 350 in the first half, then hits 220 in the second half and then kicks the ball around in the playoffs its okay, because he was part of our success in the first half.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
Complete no-trade clause.  He's due 15M next season, Philly would have to eat a lot of dough.

Konerko will probably make $10-12mill in the FA market.

Thome is from Illinois; he might waive it to play in the same division against the Indians.

See if Philly will pay $5 mill a year, I say.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
Konerko will probably make $10-12mill in the FA market.

Thome is from Illinois; he might waive it to play in the same division against the Indians.

See if Philly will pay $5 mill a year, I say.

Yeah but you could just have Konerko for that much. He's not 36 years of age and also not coming off a season shortened due to shoulder surgury. Too risky.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
So basically by your logic, if a guy hits 350 in the first half, then hits 220 in the second half and then kicks the ball around in the playoffs its okay, because he was part of our success in the first half.

And where do you derive this logic from?

I never said it was ok that Pods has sucked ass in the 2nd half. He has been horrible. But it's well known that he has a nagging groin injury. That'll put the kaybosh to any heavy duty base stealing, I'd say.

The biggest thing I want Pods to do in '06 is stay healthy. When he's healthy he's lethal.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Agreed.

Here were my hopes going into the season.

1) Pods would suck, but the team would win in spite of him.

2) Everett would get off to a hot start out of the gate and carry the team.

3) Frank would come back and rock.

4) Everett & Frank's awesomeness combined with Pods' suckitude would force the Sox to bench him before the ASB.

5) I would live happily ever after.

I was most happy with Pods performace around the first week of May. He was on pace to walk about 100 times, and had an OBP near .400, despite hitting well below what he is now. He's only walked a little over 20 times since then.

I didn't care about his SB total then. I don't care about it now. I just want him to get on base. Not make outs. Any way possible. -- If that includes stealing a base, good. Don't get caught. If that means batting .450, good, though i'd like to see the ball out of the infield once in a while. If it means leaning into a pitch than by all means do it.

Ok, screw all this pods talk. Where the f*** is rally mojo, cheat. He needs to be used sometime, he can't be a 1 act wonder.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Hermanson's back will continue being bad and he will blow save after save.

This was just playing with fire... We all knew it would happen.

I was sitting at a game in early august with keith, Tony, and Steve. I hadn't paid much attention to Hermy's stats, but I had noticed him getting hit very hard lately. -- When they showed his stats on the screen 21K's in 42 IP at the time. He had a ERA of 1.76. -- I turned to Vince (not the creepy old guy, another Vince) and said, I don't know how he's getting it done, but I'm enjoying the ride. We're probably gonna crash and burn on it though.

It was only a matter of time before Dustin came back to earth. Same with Pods. He's at his established level of suckitude. -- You can argue that he's hurt, but I say that's a byproduct of the way he plays. (Just like Frank has to deal with foot issues because of his weight) Pods spends more time on the ground than anyone in baseball. -- That's a lot of wear and tear on a guy who is not exactly a YOUNG third year player. -- You wouldn't want Konerko out there flopping around, why Pods?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Colorado have repeatedly said they won't deal him, and if they will, he has a lot of $$ on his deal, plus they'll want some real good prospects. And as Rowand just said about the power numbers at Coors.

Helton is out of the question since he said he wants to be apart of the ever lasting youth movement in colorado.