Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
In summary

Get rid of all the players who's value is high (had good seasons)

to

Replace players who's value is low (had poor seasons)

and

Keep all the average players

Doesn't that just shift the problem around? Now what was good sucks and what sucked may be good? At best, it produces a perfectly average team.

That's buillding a winner

its making moves just to make moves. Too many people are mad that we lost and are trying to come up with someway to make themselves feel better or look like they are smarter than people in baseball. So soon you people forget being .500

And all this complaining about our lead off hitter, this lineup, without our power and non-existant lead off hitter is what got us to this record. If you want the old lineup, welcome to third place for the next 3 years.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
And that's why a lot of us want to trade him when his value is high.

Yeah, makes perfect sense to me: trade away players that help your team win. We can have Willie Harris lead-off for us next year.

Word is there's also plenty of teams looking for top of the rotation starters. Let's trade Buehrle and/or Garland while their values are high.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Yeah, makes perfect sense to me: trade away players that help your team win. We can have Willie Harris lead-off for us next year.

Word is there's also plenty of teams looking for top of the rotation starters. Let's trade Buehrle and/or Garland while their values are high.

Yes, then next year they will complain about the lead off spot never stealing bases and pitchers not being afraid of our leadoff man when he gets on.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Wow, I wasnt aware that RBI's and sacrafices were the key to being a lead off hitter.  I was sure it was getting on base and hitting singles.  I guess I was wrong..... :banghead

You're leadoff hitter is only guaranteed to leadoff the game ONE FREAKING TIME.

I think you would be suprised how little Pods were to pull in a trade...I doubt there is half the interest in him that you think he has.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Pods is on pace to score 81 runs and knock in 25. He really shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Shouldn't the fact that he's on pace to score 81 runs be more of an indictment on the players following Pods in the batting order?

As far as the 25 RBI, yeah he's not a power hitter. Thanks for the update.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Yes, then next year they will complain about the lead off spot never stealing bases and pitchers not being afraid of our leadoff man when he gets on.

Who cares? A lead off hitter doesnt NEED to lead the league in stolen bases. He needs to get on base. And if you think that his SB's arent effected by his groin then you are crazy. All he needs to do is GET ON BASE. Who is this magical player that you all want to replace PODS with?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
its making moves just to make moves.  Too many people are mad that we lost and are trying to come up with someway to make themselves feel better or look like they are smarter than people in baseball.  So soon you people forget being .500

And all this complaining about our lead off hitter, this lineup, without our power and non-existant lead off hitter is what got us to this record.  If you want the old lineup, welcome to third place for the next 3 years.

The old line-up and the current pitching staff would do a heck of a lot better than 3rd place. You know that. This team has already won 15 or 16 games scoring 2 or less runs. 2003 and 2004 they won 2 each year. Considering in 2003 they won 86, give them an extra 13 would be 99 victories, hardly third place. This team is the worst in the league hitting with RISP. They have won 94 games. It doesn't add up, and I would be willing to bet if they are the worst in the league hitting with RISP next season, 3rd place might be fortunate.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
Shouldn't the fact that he's on pace to score 81 runs be more of an indictment on the players following Pods in the batting order?

As far as the 25 RBI, yeah he's not a power hitter. Thanks for the update.

He's failed to get a hit to score a run plenty of times. In fact he is hitless with the bases loaded. And it is an indictment of the players following him. It shows the problem with this style of play, as it shows that the disruptiveness Pods supposedly causes when he's on base is really overblown. Not to mention he is average at best in LF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
The old line-up and the current pitching staff would do a heck of a lot better than 3rd place. You know that. This team has already won 15 or 16 games scoring 2 or less runs. 2003 and 2004 they won 2 each year. Considering in 2003 they won 86, give them an extra 13 would be 99 victories, hardly third place. This team is the worst in the league hitting with RISP. They have won 94 games. It doesn't add up, and I would be willing to bet if they are the worst in the league hitting with RISP next season, 3rd place might be fortunate.

I couldn't agree with you more. Put the 2003 offense with this pitching staff...we would've won 100 plus games or more already at this point.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)

So.....last year's lineup, with the addition of El Duque would be better than third place? Because you cant add Hermy, Vizcaino, or AJ with the old lineup. Wait, or Iguchi. So Ben Davis is catching, Willie harris is playing 2B, not to mention our bullpen. Think again perfect world guy.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
I couldn't agree with you more. Put the 2003 offense with this pitching staff...we would've won 100 plus games or more already at this point.

so put together two parts of a team that could never co-exist. Getting rid of that lineup let us have THIS lineup. You cant have both. Sorry.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
So.....last year's lineup, with the addition of El Duque would be better than third place?  Because you cant add Hermy, Vizcaino, or AJ with the old lineup.  Wait, or Iguchi.  So Ben Davis is catching, Willie harris is playing 2B, not to mention our bullpen.  Think again perfect world guy.

Read what he wrote. He never said that it was a real world scenario. He simply stated IF we had the offense of 2003-2004...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
So.....last year's lineup, with the addition of El Duque would be better than third place?  Because you cant add Hermy, Vizcaino, or AJ with the old lineup.  Wait, or Iguchi.  So Ben Davis is catching, Willie harris is playing 2B, not to mention our bullpen.  Think again perfect world guy.

Calm down. You were talking about the old line-up. The old style of play of hitting homers instead of this Ozzieball that everyone is talking about. Pods certainly isn't the reason this team has 94 wins, nor is Iguchi or AJ. Its the pitching.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Calm down. You were talking about the old line-up. The old style of play of hitting homers instead of this Ozzieball that everyone is talking about. Pods certainly isn't the reason this team has 94 wins, nor is Iguchi or AJ. Its the pitching.

:notworthy Amen...the pitching staff has been so good ALL SEASON it has gotten to the point of people here expecting this to keep up day in and day out. How quickly they forgot a few years ago when the ERA was an entire run higher.

That is why I almost think we should just fill the lineup with power hitters (borchard, gload, Anderson, whoever) because you ONLY have to score 3-4 runs a game to win the way the pitchers are going right now.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
:notworthy Amen...the pitching staff has been so good ALL SEASON it has gotten to the point of people here expecting this to keep up day in and day out. How quickly they forgot a few years ago when the ERA was an entire run higher.

That is why I almost think we should just fill the lineup with power hitters (borchard, gload, Anderson, whoever) because you ONLY have to score 3-4 runs a game to win the way the pitchers are going right now.

You can Amen all you want. The fact is, its not that simple. AJ is a HUGE reason why the pitching is so good. Without him, regress. We dont have a large amount of strikeout pitchers, our defense is what helps out the pitchers more than anything. With less defense without pods and Dye and iguchi, less outs. The pitching stats wouldnt be as good without these players, nor would the teams record, and that my friend is the bottom line.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Read what he wrote. He never said that it was a real world scenario. He simply stated IF we had the offense of 2003-2004...

Oh, so we arent talking about real world scenarios. Hmmm then if we had the offense of texas and Boston combined we would be the best team. Is that along the same lines?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
You can Amen all you want.  The fact is, its not that simple.  AJ is a HUGE reason why the pitching is so good.  Without him, regress. We dont have a large amount of strikeout pitchers, our defense is what helps out the pitchers more than anything.  With less defense without pods and Dye and iguchi, less outs.  The pitching stats wouldnt be as good without these players, nor would the teams record, and that my friend is the bottom line.

Pods is average at best in LF. Dye has had his moments in RF, but really hasn't been anywhere near the Gold Glove caliber defender he was several years ago, and Iguchi has been solid, but has definitely had some head scratching moments in the field. AJ I agree has been a big part of the pitching success, but you can't give him all of the credit, and if you go back in time, you will see that I was one poster who said signing him was a must, even when KW said it wasn't going to happen.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Pods is average at best in LF. Dye has had his moments in RF, but really hasn't been anywhere near the Gold Glove caliber defender he was several years ago, and Iguchi has been solid, but has definitely had some head scratching moments in the field. AJ I agree has been a big part of the pitching success, but you can't give him all of the credit,  and if you go back in time, you will see that I was one poster who said signing him was a must, even when KW said it wasn't going to happen.

POds>Carlos

Dye>Maggs

AJ>everything for the past 10 years

Iguchi>Willie

We need a healthy Pods. A healthy Hermy, a consistent DH (#3 hole hitter), re-sign Pauly, trade Marte and El-duque for anything, we need a new hitting coach, a lefty reliever, need to have Bmac in the rotation full time, and a 3B with more power. I love Crede lately but this is his last season here.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
We need a healthy Pods. A healthy Hermy, a consistent DH (#3 hole hitter), re-sign Pauly, trade Marte and El-duque for anything, we need a new hitting coach, a lefty reliever, need to have Bmac in the rotation full time, and a 3B with more power. I love Crede lately but this is his last season here.

Finally someone with at least a feasible idea.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
POds>Carlos

Dye>Maggs

AJ>everything for the past 10 years

Iguchi>Willie

You may be right, but except for AJ its pretty close. Pods and Lee are pretty close, Pods has more speed, but is very unaggressive in the field, and Lee is much better than him near the wall. Dye has a stronger arm than Magglio, but I would say there's not much difference in their range, and Ordonez isn't as prone to a collosal f*** up like Dye. Iguchi turns a sweet DP, and makes a lot of difficult plays look easy. He is horrible on pop ups though.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
You're leadoff hitter is only guaranteed to leadoff the game ONE FREAKING TIME.

The order and what guys are paid to do is what matters, not how many outs when the sequence starts.

No matter if he comes up with 0 or 2 outs he needs to get on base. The #2 guy needs to get him over and the #3 needs to drive him in. That's why the order is in place and so important. The team stacks their players in an order for a reason. If it wasn't important, you could just line them up by height.