Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
thanx Rock!

I think you are the first person who doesnt want to blow up the core of players that has gotten us our best record in years.

There are some pieces that need moving. Marte, El Duque, maybe Crede, im even opening up to moving A-row or Dye now so Anderson can see some time. But we cant blow up the team and move pieces that we cant find in FA.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
We need a healthy Pods. A healthy Hermy, a consistent DH (#3 hole hitter), re-sign Pauly, trade Marte and El-duque for anything, we need a new hitting coach, a lefty reliever, need to have Bmac in the rotation full time, and a 3B with more power. I love Crede lately but this is his last season here.

I never said Pods wasn't vital to our success in the first half...If he is healthy he can help an offense. I'm talking right here right now, I can't believe all the threads about 'next year'

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Putting Pods runs and rbi in perspective, last year in 100 less at bats, Willie Harris, who was replaced because he wasn't good enough, scored 10 less runs than Pods has, and driven in 3 more.

Look at the offense behind him.

Man, runs scored is not an "ability", it is all dependent on how well people get behind you and how much you get on base. The only way you can hlpe yourself score runs is to steal bases, and he was the best at that before his legs got hurt, though his legs have really bothered him all year. He missed that series against SEA earlier in the eyar because of it.

Pods has gotten on base a lot this year. The only thing he can do at that point, other than getting in scoring position on his own which he did, is to wait for someone behind him to knock him in. We haven't been consistent doing that at all this year.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Look at the offense behind him.

Man, runs scored is not an "ability", it is all dependent on how well people get behind you and how much you get on base. The only way you can hlpe yourself score runs is to steal bases, and he was the best at that before his legs got hurt, though his legs have really bothered him all year. He missed that series against SEA earlier in the eyar because of it.

Pods has gotten on base a lot this year. The only thing he can do at that point, other than getting in scoring position on his own which he did, is to wait for someone behind him to knock him in. We haven't been consistent doing that at all this year.

Then that is a flaw with the White Sox new offensive philosophy, and probably should be scrapped.Pods has to rely on others to score and it isn't happening. It also shows the alleged disruption on the basepaths he causes really is overblown. It also doesn't explain the great one's 0-7 with the bases loaded this season with 1 RBI, on a walk. What's to say his legs aren't going to bother him next year? The Sox would be wise to rid themselves of him this offseason when they might actually get something for him. He's a little more expensive next season, and after that, if he does anything to help you, arbitration eligible I believe, when he will be way too expensive for what he brings to the table. Why pay for stolen bases when the rest of the line-up can't bring him in? It would be like the Royals investing big money in a closer.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Then that is a flaw with the White Sox new offensive philosophy, and probably should be scrapped.Pods has to rely on others to score and it isn't happening. It also shows the alleged disruption on the basepaths he causes really is overblown. It also doesn't explain the great one's 0-7 with the bases loaded this season with 1 RBI, on a walk. What's to say his legs aren't going to bother him next year? The Sox would be wise to rid themselves of him this offseason when they might actually get something for him. He's a little more expensive next season, and after that, if he does anything to help you, arbitration eligible I believe, when he will be way too expensive for what he brings to the table. Why pay for stolen bases when the rest of the line-up can't bring him in? It would be like the Royals investing big money in a closer.

No, you are missing my point. Pods HAS to rely on others to score, like almost every leadoff man in the LEAGUE relies on others for them to score. Nobody is better individually at scoring runs than anyone else unless they get on at a high clip and steal bases. Otherwise, they are dependent on the rest of the team to drive them in.

The reason Pods doesn't have more runs might be philosophy, might because cause Paul slumped for awhile and Carl has sucked a whole lot and Iguchi has sacrificed and Dye was incredibly streaky and pretty much the whole offense isn't good. That's not Pods fault though. He gets on base and usually gets himself in scoring position when healthy.

Edited by jphat007

Oh, and:

News

Diamondbacks outfielder Chad Tracy went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run, his 25th of the season, on Tuesday against the Dodgers. His long ball accounted for all the runs in the game.

Views

It was the third straight game in which Tracy produced a game-winning hit. Prior to last night's home run, he had a walkoff RBI single in the 10th inning in Sunday 's 4-3 win over the Padres and a three-run double in Saturday night's 8-5 victory.

I love the Tracy idea, and frankly with Nomar's injury history, he should be affordable enough to take a risk. No, I don't want him to play short over Uribe, but when healthy he can hit well enough to make sense at 3rd.

Edit- on further analysis, I don't really like those 5 errors in 29 games at 3rd. How long before Nomar becomes a 1B or a DH?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
We need to build without tearing down. Sadly, it always comes down to getting rid of the better players to shore up another area. It isn't building, all it does is scrape the high spots and fills in holes. It's the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you suck forever.

That's the thing though, you can trade Aaron and Damaso for something of value like a good number 3 hitter, put anderson in center, add a Mueller, add a lefty long reliever and there you add to the offense without losing much.

QUOTE(C_LEE45 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
whatta bout this

Ozuna

Uribe

Dye

Konerko

Iguchi

AJ

Crede

Anderson/Borchard

Pods

Um NO!! :puke Here's MY roster for next year.........CF Pierre, 2b Iguchi, Giles LF, Konerko 1b, Delgado DH, Dye RF, Crede 3b, AJ C, Uribe SS.....Bench....Anderson, Pablo, Willie, Borchard, Widger......Pitching staff....Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy........BP.........Viz, Marte, Hermansen, Cotts, Politte, Jenks.........Let Everett, Pods and Blum walk. Trade El Puque and Rowand :gosox3:

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
POds>Carlos

Dye>Maggs

AJ>everything for the past 10 years

Iguchi>Willie

Iguchi a better defensive second baseman than iguchi? In his dreams... dye better than ordonez? LOL... and i do not care what aaron rowand says about it.

Oh, and willie harris did have a .366 obp against righties in 2004 ( which is superior than what podsednik is currently at)...

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Um NO!! :puke  Here's MY roster for next year.........CF Pierre, 2b Iguchi, Giles LF, Konerko 1b, Delgado DH, Dye RF, Crede 3b, AJ C, Uribe SS.....Bench....Anderson, Pablo, Willie, Borchard, Widger......Pitching staff....Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy........BP.........Viz, Marte, Hermansen, Cotts, Politte, Jenks.........Let Everett, Pods and Blum walk. Trade El Puque and Rowand  :gosox3:

Podsednik walk?

I can see you thought this through well.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Um NO!! :puke  Here's MY roster for next year.........CF Pierre, 2b Iguchi, Giles LF, Konerko 1b, Delgado DH, Dye RF, Crede 3b, AJ C, Uribe SS.....Bench....Anderson, Pablo, Willie, Borchard, Widger......Pitching staff....Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy........BP.........Viz, Marte, Hermansen, Cotts, Politte, Jenks.........Let Everett, Pods and Blum walk. Trade El Puque and Rowand  :gosox3:

Hey, I'd love to have Pierre too... but how would you say we acquire him? I don't think the Marlins move him. Delgado maybe...but can you see Delgado AND Konerko on the team? Methinks not although it's a nice dream...especially since you have Giles on there too. There's no way the Sox spend that much IMO. I agree that Duque and Arow should go.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Hey, I'd love to have Pierre too... but how would you say we acquire him?  I don't think the Marlins move him.  Delgado maybe...but can you see Delgado AND Konerko on the team?  Methinks not although it's a nice dream...especially since you have Giles on there too.  There's no way the Sox spend that much IMO.  I agree that Duque and Arow should go.

Isn't Pierre a free agent?? BTW, that' s the team I'd try to assemble, I'm VERY doubtful it would happen.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Nope.

OK. I could swear I heard that he was. Anyway we cant have Rowand AND Pods in the outfield, if were going to have Uribe AND Crede on the infield. 2 of those guys have to go, And IMO Crede and Uribe's defense are too valuable

Edited by CYGarland

Here's a good link for a reference point on FA's for the next several years. This site also has the players' contracts on the team pages. It's a very useful site, especially when I begin posturizing what the possibilities could be for the Sox.

http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagent.html

Edited by Frank the Tank 35