Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
OK. I could swear I heard that he was. Anyway we cant have Rowand AND Pods in the outfield, if were going to have Uribe AND Crede on the infield. 2 of those guys have to go, And IMO Crede and Uribe's defense are too valuable

I agree that there need to be two subtractions from those four as well. I, however, think that with the offseason Pods should be able to heal up and be the same type of person he was in the first half. Plus, his value must be low right now, so it would serve us better if we just took the chance with him next year rather than getting nothing for him in return. So for me, I say trade Arow and one of Crede/Uribe. Replace Arow with Anderson, sign/trade for someone w/ a bigger salary (and more talent) to play 3B/SS.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course the following year, Pods, Dye, and Iguchi will all be FA's. The Sox bring up Owens/Sweeney/whatever other minor league OFer to replace them, Sox sign Alfonso Soriano... :P

...and Melvin Mora.

If only those OFers would pan out, it wouldn't be so far-fetched... sigh.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Iguchi a better defensive second baseman than iguchi? In his dreams... dye better than ordonez? LOL... and i do not care what aaron rowand says about it.

Oh, and willie harris did have a .366 obp against righties in 2004 ( which is superior than  what podsednik is currently at)...

considering those were defensive comparisons, you are full of it. Dye is just as mobile if not more than Maggs, and has an arm that has kept many runners off 3B. Tell me that you want willie to start instead of Iguchi so we can really have a good time.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
That's the thing though, you can trade Aaron and Damaso for something of value like a good number 3 hitter, put anderson in center, add a Mueller, add a lefty long reliever and there you add to the offense without losing much.

This is why you are a HOF'er. That is not a bad situation. We can still unload Carl, and Frank's salary as well to add players. I like your line of thinking.

I'm not exactly jumping to put Anderson in center for Rowand. He's far from a certainty to improve on Aaron's numbers. He strikes out a ton. He had 10 K's and no walks in his stint so far this year, and struck out roughly once a game in the minors. That's not exactly a good sign for his near future in the majors. Could we put up with another guy putting up Crede-like numbers? I doubt it. Then we're back to the same problem, and Aaron's gone. It's not like Aaron is expensive, and we have bigger liabilities in our offense.

A real DH would go a long way toward helping our offense, instead of a mediocre hitter like Everett and praying that Thomas stays healthy. Replacing Crede as another spot to improve makes sense too. You can probably get away with someone that isn't exactly Brooks Robinson at 3B with someone with as much range as Uribe at SS. With Uribe, the options are expensive and result in a major defensive dropoff. Plus, as was said, Pods with a healthy hamstring has a big impact on the offense, so trading him isn't as good a move. Plus, Williams would be conceding that the new approach has flaws, which probably isn't going to happen.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm not exactly jumping to put Anderson in center for Rowand. He's far from a certainty to improve on Aaron's numbers. He strikes out a ton. Could we put up with another guy putting up Crede-like numbers? I doubt it. Then we're back to the same problem, and Aaron's gone. It's not like Aaron is expensive, and we have bigger liabilities in our offense.

A real DH would go a long way toward helping our offense, instead of a mediocre hitter like Everett and praying that Thomas stays healthy. Replacing Crede as another spot to improve makes sense too. You can probably get away with someone that isn't exactly Brooks Robinson at 3B with someone with as much range as Uribe at SS. With Uribe, the options are expensive and result in a major defensive dropoff. Plus, as was said, Pods with a healthy hamstring has a big impact on the offense, so trading him isn't as good a move. Plus, Williams would be conceding that the new approach has flaws, which probably isn't going to happen.

It has been pointed out before that A-row is pretty below avg OPS-wise for a starting CF'er. We DO need a little more power in the OF to account for PODS less than desirable slugging %. Im willing to bet that there are several teams who would like the services of A-row after his defensive gems this season. We all know that we have Anderson, and Young chomping at the bit to get some playing time on the big club. And I think maybe they need a chance?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
It has been pointed out before that A-row is pretty below avg OPS-wise for a starting CF'er.  We DO need a little more power in the OF to account for PODS less than desirable slugging %.  Im willing to bet that there are several teams who would like the services of A-row after his defensive gems this season.  We all know that we have Anderson, and Young chomping at the bit to get some playing time on the big club.  And I think maybe they need a chance?

Why does everyone suddenly care how many homers we hit, or how many we get from what position? Does it really matter that much if our CF hits 12 or 20? Wasn't the whole point of our offense to rely less on the homers? The Yankees don't have a whole lot more homers in the outfield than us (Matsui is barely over 20, Crosby has 1, Williams has 12, Lawton has 13 on the whole year), and their offense seems alright. We're still near the top of the league in homers anyways, and it isn't helping. If Anderson hits .250 with 20 homers, virtually no walks, and 130 K's, how does that help the situation? He's a rookie! He's not going to come in and hit .300. Young is even farther from being ready to produce. He's got talent but he's raw. Adding more guys that can't get on isn't going to solve our problem. Even in a season that it seems a lot of us are disappointed with, Rowand is hitting over .270 and has an OBP around .330. While it's not stellar, it's not terrible either. How about we deal with the guys that are hitting around .250 with OBP's under .310 first like Everett, Crede, and Uribe?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
considering those were defensive comparisons, you are full of it.  Dye is just as mobile if not more than Maggs, and has an arm that has kept many runners off 3B. Tell me that you want willie to start instead of Iguchi so we can really have a good time.

Ordonez had more range in his tenure here than dye has/had. Dye's arm is overated due to the fact he over throwa the cut off man every chance he gets therefore allowing runners to advance at will.

I never said i wanted willie to start over iguchi... but what i did say is he is is a superior second baseman defensively.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Why does everyone suddenly care how many homers we hit, or how many we get from what position? Does it really matter that much if our CF hits 12 or 20? Wasn't the whole point of our offense to rely less on the homers? The Yankees don't have a whole lot more homers in the outfield than us (Matsui is barely over 20, Crosby has 1, Williams has 12, Lawton has 13 on the whole year), and their offense seems alright. We're still near the top of the league in homers anyways, and it isn't helping. If Anderson hits .250 with 20 homers, virtually no walks, and 130 K's, how does that help the situation? He's a rookie! He's not going to come in and hit .300. Young is even farther from being ready to produce. He's got talent but he's raw. Adding more guys that can't get on isn't going to solve our problem. Even in a season that it seems a lot of us are disappointed with, Rowand is hitting over .270 and has an OBP around .330. While it's not stellar, it's not terrible either. How about we deal with the guys that are hitting around .250 with OBP's under .310 first like Everett, Crede, and Uribe?

How many exactly does Gary Sheffield have?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
actually, Crede probably needs to stay.  Hopefully next year Pods can play a full season.  As far as Rowand and Everett, I wouldn't mind seeing an improvement at center and DH.

Crede can stay but I have a suspicion we will all want Pods gone next year at some point. This guy can't drive in runs. Not only is he not stealing bases, but even when he has the chance to help the team by getting a hit he becomes an automatic out.

Rowand is a fine 6 or 7 hitter (defense is too good to let go unless you can get Damon or something like that) and Dye can hit 5, PK can hit 4, but there is no 3 hitter anywhere and Everett can't hit anymore.