Needs for next year

sayitaintso

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
Yeah all these "I want Tex" posts I've seen in the last week is all moot because Scott Bora$$ is his agent, and Texas may just deal him for that reason alone.

How about Soriano instead then? All I know is that the Sox need another dangerous hitter that can carry the team himself. Right now, we have too many role players.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
How about Soriano instead then?  All I know is that the Sox need another dangerous hitter that can carry the team himself.  Right now, we have too many role players.

He could be a possibility but he'd want to play 2B, and we're not moving Iguchi (even though I know you've suggested him in a deal to Seattle to get a guy like Beltre). Now if you could get him to play CF, it could maybe happen, but I'd doubt he'd DH for us.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
No offense nite but it'd take a s***load more then that to trade for tex, to be honest, he ain't going anywhere for a long long time.

How about Marte, Young, Tracey + Broadway.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Durazo's a risk. But if you could get him for say $1 or 2M for 1 year with incentives, he could rake at the Cell too. Remember he had a +.900 OPS in Oakland in 2003.

Thome's an option I've put forward as well, but Philly would have to pay at least half of his deal. You wouldn't have to give up as much for him as Helton though because of his back, unless they decide to trade Ryan Howard instead.........

Well yeah, I'd take Durazo if he comes that cheap. Thome as well. I don't want to pay all his cash, but if they took a large chunk, I would love to see him in a Sox uni. As far as Ryan Howard, I don't know think they would trade him unless they got a stud starting pitcher in return(BMac). I also don't think I would want a young hitter simply because our hitting coach would most likely f up his swing. I rather stick with a guy who knows what he's doing.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:41 AM)
He could be a possibility but he'd want to play 2B, and we're not moving Iguchi (even though I know you've suggested him in a deal to Seattle to get a guy like Beltre). Now if you could get him to play CF, it could maybe happen, but I'd doubt he'd DH for us.

And that's why I'd try to ship Iguchi and a prospect to Seattle for A. Beltre.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
For all the lineups that have Giles, Konerko AND Furcal in it, dream on. We'll be lucky to have 1 one of those guys in our team next season.

No because he goes to the media during a pennant race and tells everyone "I don't have any confidence right now." Is that a guy you want to go to war with? How many times has he been picked off and thrown out? No arm either. Sorry but Pods is way overrated.

Edited by Commander Fisk

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Now here's the all important argument. What's more important. Dunn's higher OBP and power numbers, or a guy like Helton's higher BA?

.250 average? No thanks. That OBP is pretty sexy but walks don't drive in runs (unless bases are loaded). Also, he still K's a whole bunch. Consistent hitters, that's what I think we need and I'll stand by it. Dunn is basically Konerko with a higher OBP and lower Average and lefty. Ok then maybe he's not Konerko. :P

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)

I think there lies the problem. He doesn't want to play the OF(which is the reason why the Cubs didn't deal for him) and he doesn't want to DH. I would love him, but I wouldn't have him over Iguchi at 2B simply because we need guys who could make defensive plays.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
You think Nomar can stay healthy?  I don't.

sure, sign Nomar if he'll take the minimum.

I do as a DH. I'm sure he can. And like I said earlier, the best guys to get this year are going to be the guys who has injury risks. There's no stud guy out there who is injury free this year.

As far as Dunn, he'd be great if we had other hitters around him. BA IMHO is much more important to this team because we need guys who could knock runners in. Getting on base isn't the problem in my eyes. It's scoring those runners in which no one on this team could do.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Now here's the all important argument. What's more important. Dunn's higher OBP and power numbers, or a guy like Helton's higher BA?

Currently Dunn is worth one more win per season than Helton. Add that Dunn's 27, Helton's 33 with one of the worst contracts in the league, and the choice is obvious.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:40 AM)

Both of them are productive, and that's what this team needs. We need difference makers on offense, and not these 5 million dollar players. Sure, they put up solid numbers, but that's all you'll get from them.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Currently Dunn is worth one more win per season than Helton.  Add that Dunn's 27, Helton's 33 with one of the worst contracts in the league, and the choice is obvious.

You people and your crazy stats. I dunno if I'm the only one, but I cannot AT ALL attach a stat like "W" to a hitter.

Look at the simple stats and I say Helton. He's hardly ever injured so I don't think his age will be a big problem.

Yes, his contract is big but I think it's one we can afford to bring in. How much more do we really need if we land Helton? Maybe 1 bullpen arm, but that's it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:46 AM)
Fine then, trade Marte & Young and try to get Blalock. I know he had a down year this year, but I think he'll be improved for next year.

I was all about the Hank bandwagon last week before I heard stuff from an AL scout, who said he's regressed as much as any player in the AL this season. I'm extremely worried about players who have struggled since the roids testing.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
You people and your crazy stats. I dunno if I'm the only one, but I cannot AT ALL attach a stat like "W" to a hitter.

Look at the simple stats and I say Helton. He's hardly ever injured so I don't think his age will be a big problem.

Yes, his contract is big but I think it's one we can afford to bring in. How much more do we really need if we land Helton? Maybe 1 bullpen arm, but that's it.

The Rockies have said they won't pick up any of Helton's contract. If you take on his contract, you can say goodbye to Garland and AJP, and hello to Duque and Ben Davis.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)

This I agree with, not a big fan of win shares. Nothing against anyone who uses them, just not my favorite way of judging a player.

Edited by Rowand44