Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Mariners would love to get out of Beltre's contract.

true

I'm not sure we would want that contract either. He is having a horrible year after they started testing for ShamMe's special vitamins(coincidence, maybe). He really only had 1 good year, other than that he puts up numbers comparable to Crede's.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
You people and your crazy stats. I dunno if I'm the only one, but I cannot AT ALL attach a stat like "W" to a hitter.

Look at the simple stats and I say Helton. He's hardly ever injured so I don't think his age will be a big problem.

Yes, his contract is big but I think it's one we can afford to bring in. How much more do we really need if we land Helton? Maybe 1 bullpen arm, but that's it.

Are you talking about keeping PK too? If you just substitute Helton for PK, this offense still blows. I'm not sure we could afford both.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
The Rockies have said they won't pick up any of Helton's contract.  If you take on his contract, you can say goodbye to Garland and AJP, and hello to Duque and Ben Davis.

Yeah with the raises the guys like those two are going to get, if you re-sign Konerko, we don't have the payroll room to bring in a guy like Helton. That's why signing a guy like Durazo to small contract with incentives has a much higher likelihood of happening.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Are you talking about keeping PK too?  If you just substitute Helton for PK, this offense still blows.  I'm not sure we could afford both.

I agree. That's partially why we have to go after those bargains. We need to add to this team, not make lateral moves and add something while taking away something else.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Frank got injured how? Thome got injured how?

??

I thought you were saying if Nomar didn't have to play the field he would be able to avoid injury. Then I said "he got injured on the base path". I never mentioned Thomas or Thome.

As far as taking a risk on a injury prone player... sure, if they are willing to sign a reasonable contract.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:56 AM)
Yeah with the raises the guys like those two are going to get, if you re-sign Konerko, we don't have the payroll room to bring in a guy like Helton. That's why signing a guy like Durazo to small contract with incentives has a much higher likelihood of happening.

Durazo will go to a moneyball type of team that values walks. The Sox are about as far from that type of franchise as you can get. I would love to get Nomar, as I think he has the type of line drive swing we've been missing. However, he's on the record as saying he'll only sign on somewhere as a SS. And whoever said he'll get the minimum is quite wrong...he'll get somewhere between 6 and 8 million again.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Durazo will go to a moneyball type of team that values walks.  The Sox are about as far from that type of franchise as you can get.  I would love to get Nomar, as I think he has the type of line drive swing we've been missing.  However, he's on the record as saying he'll only sign on somewhere as a SS.  And whoever said he'll get the minimum is quite wrong...he'll get somewhere between 6 and 8 million again.

I don't know if Nomar's going to get a starting SS job for that type of money. Personally I think he's headed to LA to take over as their 3B for Jose Valentin.

And on Durazo, well the Sox need to change their philosophy then, and I know everyone who bashes their offense is probably going to agree on that. Right now if I was to predict a team, I'll say maybe Toronto, if they can find a taker for Eric Hinske.

Can't we go to arbitration with AJ and Jonny?

I think I remember hearing about this but I'm not sure, I know Jonny can but AJ I'm not sure. If so, they shouldn't be getting raises that will break the bank.

As for Konerko + Helton... well that's pretty farfetched but that's something I could die for. Them platooning at 1B and DH is ideal as all hell but then I'd have to concede the money thing. That's a lot of money.

I'd take Helton over Kong any day though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
I don't know if Nomar's going to get a starting SS job for that type of money. Personally I think he's headed to LA to take over as their 3B for Jose Valentin.

And on Durazo, well the Sox need to change their philosophy then, and I know everyone who bashes their offense is probably going to agree on that. Right now if I was to predict a team, I'll say maybe Toronto, if they can find a taker for Eric Hinske.

Maybe Steve Stone will take the Sox in a different direction? And I have no basis for this prediction, but I think Carlos Pena will be the Sox 1b next season. Just a gut feeling (have any gut feelings been right this month?).

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)

I think I remember hearing about this but I'm not sure, I know Jonny can but AJ I'm not sure. If so, they shouldn't be getting raises that will break the bank.

As for Konerko + Helton... well that's pretty farfetched but that's something I could die for. Them platooning at 1B and DH is ideal as all hell but then I'd have to concede the money thing. That's a lot of money.

Aj and Jon are both arbitration eligible.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
Maybe Steve Stone will take the Sox in a different direction?  And I have no basis for this prediction, but I think Carlos Pena will be the Sox 1b next season.  Just a gut feeling (have any gut feelings been right this month?).

Wow, you just pulled that name out of your ass. :P

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
??

I thought you were saying if Nomar didn't have to play the field he would be able to avoid injury.  Then I said  "he got injured on the base path". I never mentioned Thomas or Thome.

As far as taking a risk on a injury prone player... sure, if they are willing to sign a reasonable contract.

I'm saying I have faith in him staying healthy as a DH. As far as I know fathom, the guy will play whoever shells out the most dough unless he's willing to play SS for a weak franchise. All of the California teams have a SS.

Angels: Cabrera

Dodgers: Izturis

Oakland: Scutaro or Crosby(I forget)

Giants: Vizquel

Yankees won't sign him because they have other pressing needs like pitching again. Boston won't bring him back because they have Renteria. Florida maybe, but I doubt they let go of Alex Gonzalez.

As far as I'm concerned, he's going to have to play another position, sign for less and play whatever reasonable position the team wants, or sign for the most(for a cheap team probably).

We need a couple of things though. We need a Nomar, Durazo, Furcal, Giles, Thome, Tracy. At least 2 of those guys are needed on this team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:05 AM)
Wow, you just pulled that name out of your ass. :P

Yeah, for some reason like 3 months ago, I just had a feeling that he would be brought in next season. This was when he was in the Tigers minor leagues, and you'd have to hink he'd be available this offseason.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Sorry Yahtzee, the Sox are not in the position to just trade for a "superstar" and problems solved. They need a few things added to the O, and with a contract like Heltons, they tie themselves up for a while. Kenny has alot of work to be done, but I have faith he can get it done.

One consistent hitter like Helton this year and we have 99 or 100 wins and this division.

I think it's fair to say that because there have been tons of games where we rallied late or fell short or just plain fell short with runners on.

I mean, yeah it'd be nice to get more consistent hitters, but they aren't a dime a dozen. How much more can we add to this offense? Do you want to get rid of Pierzynski, or Dye, or Uribe for anyone better?

I personally don't want to lose AJ's attitude, Uribe's defense, or Dye's... well just him.

What about Crede, what do we do with Crede? Do we attempt to find a better hitter with worse defense? 3rd base is definately an area we can improve and not worry about losing too much.

Podsednik I still would really like to keep. He was just freakin' amazing in the 1st half and if he didn't get injured he'd still be amazing. You don't steal 50 bases in one half by sheer luck.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)

JG is most likely going to get locked up to a 3 year deal at least. KW showed last off-season with Rowand and Uribe he's not afraid to lock up guys for a few years in their arbitration phase. A.J I assume the same thing is going to happen, since we don't have a C that could replace him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah, for some reason like 3 months ago, I just had a feeling that he would be brought in next season.  This was when he was in the Tigers minor leagues, and you'd have to hink he'd be available this offseason.

He's hit over .300 with about 13HR since he was brought back up right? I don't like Walker's chances of getting him to use that new swing he's got consistently though. But yeah he definitely be an option, if they decide to stay with Chris Shelton.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
One consistent hitter like Helton this year and we have 99 or 100 wins and this division.

I think it's fair to say that because there have been tons of games where we rallied late or fell short or just plain fell short with runners on.

I mean, yeah it'd be nice to get more consistent hitters, but they aren't a dime a dozen. How much more can we add to this offense? Do you want to get rid of Pierzynski, or Dye, or Uribe for anyone better?

I personally don't want to lose AJ's attitude, Uribe's defense, or Dye's... well just him.

What about Crede, what do we do with Crede? Do we attempt to find a better hitter with worse defense? 3rd base is definately an area we can improve and not worry about losing too much.

Podsednik I still would really like to keep. He was just freakin' amazing in the 1st half and if he didn't get injured he'd still be amazing. You don't steal 50 bases in one half by sheer luck.

Make no mistake about it..Pods ain't going anywhere, I'll guarantee you that. We need to upgrade one half of the left side of our infield, both are fantastic defensively but just to inconsistant with the bat. Also, we need to upgrade the dh spot and I think offensively we'd be good to go. I'm also really starting to like the idea of Anderson over Rowand in center next year as Aaron could definitely land us something nice in a package with maybe Damaso included.

Every team will be asking for Contreras. I've long been on the side that you trade him when his value is at its peak. Of course, I wouldn't trade him for just anyone. Dunn and Tex are the two main guys I'd try to get.

I do know this: Timo and Everett better be off this f'n team, and let the youngsters become back-up outfielders.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Make no mistake about it..Pods ain't going anywhere, I'll guarantee you that.  We need to upgrade one half of the left side of  our  infield, both are fantastic defensively but just to inconsistant with the bat.  Also, we need to upgrade the dh spot and I think offensively we'd be good to go.  I'm also really starting to like the idea of Anderson over Rowand in center next year as Aaron could definitely land us something nice in a package with maybe Damaso included.

I could deal with Anderson over Rowand too. I like ANderson. That 2 homer game or whatever showed something to me. I can't wait to watch him in Spring Training next year and see how he does. I'd love for him to become some sort of stud that we need.

Here's food for thought, anyone think the Cards would be interested in dealing Scott Rolen?

Look at how well they do, even without him. Just a thought.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
I could deal with Anderson over Rowand too. I like ANderson. That 2 homer game or whatever showed something to me. I can't wait to watch him in Spring Training next year and see how he does. I'd love for him to become some sort of stud that we need.

Here's food for thought, anyone think the Cards would be interested in dealing Scott Rolen?

Look at how well they do, even without him. Just a thought.

Of course they would. But they would be demanding Crede, probably BMac and Marte.

Can someone honestly tell me why we want to get rid of Pods again? The ENTIRE team is slumping. This is a team effort. Do not blame Pods. Do not blame Aaron. Do not blame Dye. This is a team...not a group of individuals. If one falls, they all fall. If one triumphs, they all triumph. I certainly didn't hear you guys saying we should get rid of Pods when he stol 40 bases in the 1st half and was terrorizing pitchers on the basepaths. GMAFB. We let losses get into our heads too much. Pods is an asset to this team. Wow...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
Nomar Garciaparra.

Erubiel Durazo.

Reggie Sanders.

Mike Piazza.

Daryle Ward.

Jacque Jones.

Preston Wilson.

Jeromy Burnitz.

Most likely if it's anyone to DH from FA it's gonna be one of these guys. The cost for Helton is gonna be too great.

:lolhitting

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Can someone honestly tell me why we want to get rid of Pods again? The ENTIRE team is slumping. This is a team effort. Do not blame Pods. Do not blame Aaron. Do not blame Dye. This is a team...not a group of individuals. If one falls, they all fall. If one triumphs, they all triumph. I certainly didn't hear you guys saying we should get rid of Pods when he stol 40 bases in the 1st half and was terrorizing pitchers on the basepaths. GMAFB. We let losses get into our heads too much. Pods is an asset to this team. Wow...

Everyone has their own opinions, personally for me I definitely wouldn't get rid of Pods, when he's healthy he's a huge asset to this team. As far as Aaron, I'd be willing to bet that Anderson can atleast produce as much as Aaron has offensively this year, add the fact that Brian's a pretty good centerfielder(thought not as good as arow imo) and that aaron can bring some good talent in return, then that type of move makes a whole lot of sense to me.