Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
Everyone has their own opinions, personally for me I definitely wouldn't get rid of Pods, when he's healthy he's a huge asset to this team.  As far as Aaron, I'd be willing to bet that Anderson can atleast produce as much as Aaron has offensively this year, add the fact that Brian's a pretty good centerfielder(thought not as good as arow imo) and that aaron can bring some good talent in return, then that type of move makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Oh, I agree with you there 100% but getting rid of Pods, who is cheap, is plain retarted to me. If we could package Aaron, El Duque, and Marte to a team willing to give us a good offensive player...do it.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Is it just me or does anyone else think Anderson's rookie campaign will be worse than Rowand '05?  I'd only deal Rowand if someone was willing to drastically overpay.

I personally think that Brian could put up atleast .270 and 15 in his first full season but that's jmo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Oh, I agree with you there 100% but getting rid of Pods, who is cheap, is plain retarted to me. If we could package Aaron, El Duque, and Marte to a team willing to give us a good offensive player...do it.

You don't keep Pods just because he's cheap. He's not good enough to play CF defensively, yet he doesn't hit for enough power in a corner position in an offense that desperately need upgrades.

I can tell you right now, there'd be about a 70-30 ratio for Sox fans in favor of trading Pods before Rowand.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Any other options you see on the FA market there Einstein?

No, I'm just saying that the fact that you even considered putting those 2 on the list is just....horrible. But if washed up NL players is what the Sox are looking for, go for it.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:25 AM)
No, I'm just saying that the fact that you even considered putting those 2 on the list is just....horrible. But if washed up NL players is what the Sox are looking for, go for it.

KW has had no problem trading for those type of guys in the past.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:25 AM)
You don't keep Pods just because he's cheap. He's not good enough to play CF defensively, yet he doesn't hit for enough power in a corner position in an offense that desperately need upgrades.

I can tell you right now, there'd be about a 70-30 ratio for Sox fans in favor of trading Pods before Rowand.

I would love to trade Pods to a team desperate for a leadoff hitter. Sure, he's great at stealing bases, but he's extremely mediocre at quite a few skills. I would much rather keep Rowand in CF, and find some power in LF. If you do that, you could keep Uribe and Crede on the left side.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)

His offense makes up for his "lack of defense." And I am sure that he is not the only corner outfielder in the MLB that doesnt have power. GMAB. You want to upgrade? Getting rid of Pods is a downgrade unless you get a cant-miss offer for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)

This team hits homeruns though with Pods in left so it's not like we're lacking power, that argument that your lf must hit for power just doesnt work for me, who cares where the power is being provided from.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)

Why? Piazza ain't going to be a catcher anymore. He could be had for about $3M as a DH for a team like the Angels where he'd move from a pitcher's stadium to a hitter's one. He's still hittting about .260 with 20 HR.

Burnitz has the same production, but he can still play the OF. Just saying, there's no magic solution out there for teams looking for a DH in this FA market.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)

And have Pods play CF? As someone said earlier, I rather have Konerko in CF before Pods. Also, Podsednik is no longer injured. It's a mental block for him. He caught the Willie Harris syndrome. In fact, I think even Willie doesn't have that syndrome anymore. Pods is cheap, but if we could package Rowand for a power hitting corner fielder and somehow get Pierre in here, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
His offense makes up for his "lack of defense." And I am sure that he is not the only corner outfielder in the MLB that doesnt have power. GMAB. You want to upgrade? Getting rid of Pods is a downgrade unless you get a cant-miss offer for him.

His offense? He is terrible with runners in scoring posittion. Without his legs his useless. How many triples does he have this season for a guy with his so called speed?

How many corner OF's in the MLB have 0 HR's? And an OPS higher than .705?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
This team hits homeruns though with Pods in left so it's not like we're lacking power, that argument that your lf must hit for power just doesnt work for me, who cares where the power is being provided from.

Yeah but it could be more dangerous if you add another guy like Kevin Mench in there in a run producing spot who can hit better with RISP. The problem is getting anbother leadoff hitter, and if we don't get Rafael Furcal (which I doubt we will), Pods is here to stay.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
His offense? He is terrible with runners in scoring posittion. Without his legs his useless. How many triples does he have this season for a guy with his so called speed?

Who the hell cares about that. Not all players are about power, dude. I really would have expected someone with your knowledge to know this.

I don't know if you watch Sox gams through the internet or whatever, but Pods was freakin' amazing in the first half and there is a reason he bats #1, so he can get on base and steal bases which he did perfectly for a half a season until his injury!

Does it matter if he plays OF, IF, C? Not really, you can get power players for any position nowadays.

Unless you have a great number 3 hitter, like Vlad, the leadoff hitter is rather overrated. Pods has hurt us a lot this year when he comes up in clutch situations with RISP. I know people are sick of seeing this stat, but he's one of the worst in baseball in OBP in Late Inning Pressure Situations.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)

Sinc when are we basing someones abilities by his OPS and his Hr's?

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
Who the hell cares about that. Not all players are about power, dude. I really would have expected someone with your knowledge to know this.

I don't know if you watch Sox gams through the internet or whatever, but Pods was freakin' amazing in the first half and there is a reason he bats #1, so he can get on base and steal bases which he did perfectly for a half a season until his injury!

Does it matter if he plays OF, IF, C? Not really, you can get power players for any position nowadays.

^

Nail

on

Head

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:34 AM)

I think what he's trying to say is that on a team with quite a few defense-first players, you can't have another LF that isn't a big offensive producer. For as great as Pods supposedly was, he never scored a ton of runs. Also, since when did an injured groin make you unable to draw a walk? I'm getting tired of hearing the excuse from some Sox people that the Pods injury has caused this slide. He's had plenty of time to get his groove back.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)

Look at his numbers with RISP. His OPS is way low. His OBP isn't that of a great leadoff hitter. He doesn't have many triples for a guy with tremendous speed. His defense isn't good. He's a nice player and an asset. This team, however, doesn't need assets, it needs guys they can rely on. In the first half, Pods was doing his job. After that he went to s***. Like I've said before, the most worthless .300 hitter.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
We'll see what happens to the bosox offense if Damon doesn't resign.

I bet Boston will find a guy not necessarily with speed, but a guy that can get on base. Screw it, lets get Durazo and make him our leadoff hitter. At least we could have a leadoff hitter that could knock in more than 30 runs in a full season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
I think what he's trying to say is that on a team with quite a few defense-first players, you can't have another LF that isn't a big offensive producer.  For as great as Pods supposedly was, he never scored a ton of runs.  Also, since when did an injured groin make you unable to draw a walk?  I'm getting tired of hearing the excuse from some Sox people that the Pods injury has caused this slide.  He's had plenty of time to get his groove back.

I fear you underestimate the grind of 162 games on a body. 1st off, no one, NO ONE, is 100%. 2nd, the fact of the matter is that the team as a whole is slacking. Look at how it was clicking in the 1st half. The team lost that mentality and it has hampered everyones play.