Needs for next year

sayitaintso

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
Did I say if Pods played 2B then he'd hit for 50HR then? Can you answer my original question as well, about the other corner OF's in the league that have hit for 0 HR and have an OPS higher than .705?

Your not getting it. The comparisons are not things youd expect and that is why your vital power in LF point is moot. Pods has 0 Hrs but 60 SB's while Kent hits 40 Hr's and 100 RBI's. Those are not numbrs youd expect from people in their respective positions. The fact that im stating is that it doesnt matter what position you play DEFENSIVELY and it doesnt affect your ways OFFENSIVELY.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem I have seen is the tinkering of our hitters with their swings.

Look at Rowand from last year, and compare where his hands are this year.

Last year, his left elbow had a noticeble locked L, the elbow was up high and his bat was pretty much straight up with a tiny amount of wiggle to it. It was a very mechanical looking stance if anyone remembers it. As mechanical as it looked, his stroke was short and quick. His power was to right center and to left center.

This year, Rowand has a different stance. His front elbow is bent and pointing down. His hands are tucked in more. His bat is inverted a bit. His swing now is more of a down stroke on the ball. I read earlier in the year on how he changed his swing to get more power. Now at the end of this year, his BA is down, his strikeouts are up and he cannot reach the outside pitch anymore.

Maybe our hitters once they have success can be stopped from revamping their swings and f***ing their hitting up. He hit some homers last year, and probably thought, if I make this change I will hit over 30. Well I think it backfired.

STOP f***ING WITH YOUR SWINGS, UNLESS YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS HITTING.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
The biggest problem I have seen is the tinkering of our hitters with their swings.

Look at Rowand from last year, and compare where his hands are this year.

Last year, his left elbow had a noticeble locked L, the elbow was up high and his bat was pretty much straight up with a tiny amount of wiggle to it.  It was a very mechanical looking stance if anyone remembers it.  As mechanical as it looked, his stroke was short and quick.  His power was to right center and to left center.

This year, Rowand has a different stance.  His front elbow is bent and pointing down.  His hands are tucked in more. His bat is inverted a bit.  His swing now is more of a down stroke on the ball.  I read earlier in the year on how he changed his swing to get more power.  Now at the end of this year, his BA is down, his strikeouts are up and he cannot reach the outside pitch anymore. 

Maybe our hitters once they have success can be stopped from revamping their swings and f***ing their hitting up.  He hit some homers last year, and probably thought, if I make this change I will hit over 30.  Well I think it backfired. 

STOP f***ING WITH YOUR SWINGS, UNLESS YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS HITTING.

Funny how it all starts with the Batting Coach with you lol.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
Why is that again?

Because other offenses may not hav Konerko/Crede/Uribe/Iguchi in the infield that could hit for almost 100HR's in a season. Look at the NL for example. Teams like Arizona and Florida rely on their corner OF's for production in the middle of the lineup.

It's easier to find a better power hitting corner OF than to find a power hitting IF for example.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)

Didnt say it was Walker at all. It takes two to tango on this.

I think Rowand hit some homers last year, signed a contract and wanted to prove he was worth it. It happens a lot. Its up to our managment as a whole to stop this type of s***.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)

He's been on Walker's ass all season, and he's been dead on with a lot of what he says. This team has done an awful job of making adjustments. Hell, Borchard made an adjustment during his AB tonight. That's something I rarely see from any of our starters. When so many hitters are having subpar seasons, you have to realize that you start with the person who's supposed to help them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Because other offenses may not hav Konerko/Crede/Uribe/Iguchi in the infield that could hit for almost 100HR's in a season. Look at the NL for example. Teams like Arizona and Florida rely on their corner OF's for production in the middle of the lineup.

It's easier to find a better power hitting corner OF than to find a power hitting IF for example.

Our whole infield can hit for power. I'm not too worried about one of our corner outfielders not hitting for power.

Since when do all teams have to be the same anyway?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
Didnt say it was Walker at all.  It takes two to tango on this.

I think Rowand hit some homers last year, signed a contract and wanted to prove he was worth it.  It happens a lot.  Its up to our managment as a whole to stop this type of s***.

But underneath it all, you still hate Walker. :lolhitting

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Your not getting it. The comparisons are not things youd expect and that is why your vital power in LF point is moot. Pods has 0 Hrs but 60 SB's while Kent hits 40 Hr's and 100 RBI's. Those are not numbrs youd expect from people in their respective positions. The fact that im stating is that it doesnt matter what position you play DEFENSIVELY and it doesnt affect your ways OFFENSIVELY.

Doesn't that make Kent for more valuable than Pods then? Like I said before, SB's alone don't make up for the other bad parts of his game.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Funny how some are so quick to turn on someone who has a well documented nagging groin injury (which really sucks for us, by the way). He is noticeably slower than he was earlier in the season.

Here's to a happy, healthy Pods in 2006 to prove all these dopes that leadoff hitters are very important.

I don't recall everyone embracing the waiver wire castoff with open arms.

Maybe they are just pulling an I told you so...

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
He's been on Walker's ass all season, and he's been dead on with a lot of what he says.  This team has done an awful job of making adjustments.  Hell, Borchard made an adjustment during his AB tonight.  That's something I rarely see from any of our starters.  When so many hitters are having subpar seasons, you have to realize that you start with the person who's supposed to help them.

Yeah. I know. And I agree with him. I've been agreeing with him lol.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)

But that's my point dbaho. We have power everywhere as it is, it's ok to have a slap hitting left fielder.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
Doesn't that make Kent for more valuable than Pods then? Like I said before, SB's alone don't make up for the other bad parts of his game.

Your still not getting it. Like Yahtzee said, do we have to fit the mold of every toher team? LF is NOT a vital "power position." You get power from where you have it and you get defense from where you have it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
But that's my point dbaho.  We have power everywhere as it is, it's ok to have a slap hitting left fielder.

Not everywhere. Rowand and Pods have 12HR b/w them. Not good enough in 2OF positions. Right now would you still want Carlos Lee back over Scott Podsednik?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I don't recall everyone embracing the waiver wire castoff with open arms.

Maybe they are just pulling an I told you so...

Oh please. Everyone in Soxdom woulda paid 5 cents to suck Pods off in the first half. Now people are ready to dump him for nothing.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Your still not getting it. Like Yahtzee said, do we have to fit the mold of every toher team? LF is NOT a vital "power position." You get power from where you have it and you get defense from where you have it.

Why do you think a team like Cleveland's offense has become so good then? And I know you're going to say Travis Hafner, but don't tell me you wouldn't want Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp over Scott Podsednik and Aaron Rowand then?

And it's not like our offense is fantastic anyways.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
Right now would you still want Carlos Lee back over Scott Podsednik?

No. Let me add that I was against the trade when it happened as well. Carlos is having an overrated season if you ask me. I was never a huge fan of his to begin with but if you swap those two it's the 01-04 offense minus Maggs and Frank, plus a subpar rowand and uribe. We'd be worse imo but that's jmo and I know a ton of people disagree.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
Why do you think a team like Cleveland's offense has become so good then? And I know you're going to say Travis Hafner, but don't tell me you wouldn't want Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp over Scott Podsednik and Aaron Rowand then?

And it's not like our offense is fantastic anyways.

Why would I say Travis Hafner? That ENTIRE team is playing WAY over their heads right now, as were the Sox in the 1st half. What does that have to do with your point of the vital power position? White Sox 1st half offense = Indians 2nd half offense

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
Not I.

He's always been among the most overrated baseball players in the game.

Nobody but his family and a couple of brewers fans knew who he was last year...

He may be a little bit overrated, but I wouldn't go as far as calling him one of the most in all of baseball.