Needs for next year

sayitaintso

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Why do you think a team like Cleveland's offense has become so good then? And I know you're going to say Travis Hafner, but don't tell me you wouldn't want Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp over Scott Podsednik and Aaron Rowand then?

And it's not like our offense is fantastic anyways.

In a heartbeat and that's why the Indians offense has been jump started to what they've been, their middle of the order sure doesn't hurt though.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
Nobody but his family and a couple of brewers fans knew who he was last year...

He may be a little bit overrated, but I wouldn't go as far as calling him one of the most in all of baseball.

What are you talking about?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
No.  Let me add that I was against the trade when it happened as well.  Carlos is having an overrated season if you ask me.  I was never a huge fan of his to begin with but if you swap those two it's the 01-04 offense minus Maggs and Frank, plus a subpar rowand and uribe.  We'd be worse imo but that's jmo and I know a ton of people disagree.

Carlos Lee is hitting .282 with RISP. That'd be pretty damn valuable right now. And don't forget the 01-04 offense put up more runs than the one we had this season. It's all been the pitching.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
Carlos Lee is hitting .282 with RISP. That'd be pretty damn valuable right now. And don't forget the 01-04 offense put up more runs than the one we had this season. It's all been the pitching.

Since you seem to have the stats...compare the 1st half Sox abg with RISP and 2nd half...

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Hahahaha, ok.

That's why we started sucking once he went down.

I will restate this stat.

We hit 250s in April and May.

Then Frank Thomas came back

We hit 270s in June and July.

Then Frank Thomas got hurt. We stopped hitting.

Not because of Scotty Pods. People are not afraid of Scotty Pods, but a 6'5 guy who can take them out. Yes. Granted he was one dimensional, but still he walked a lot and people pitched around him to get to Konerko. In turn Konerko got a ton of better pitches to hit. WTF would anyone pitch to Konerko anymore. Walk him and then strike out Dye or whomever.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
I wouldn't call Pods one of the most overrated players in baseball.

There are far too many more better-known players with more name reocgnition that can take that title before him.

Not that, but saying only his family and Brewers fans knew him????

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
White Sox 1st half offense = Indians 2nd half offense

Your joking right? Cleveland have scored 36 more runs than us. If you remember how bad they were in the 1st half of the season, what they've done in the 2nd half far outweighs what we did in the 1st half.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
I will restate this stat.

We hit 250s in April and May.

Then Frank Thomas came back

We hit 270s in June and July.

Then Frank Thomas got hurt.  We stopped hitting.

Not because of Scotty Pods.  People are not afraid of Scotty Pods, but a 6'5 guy who can take them out.  Yes.  Granted he was one dimensional, but still he walked a lot and people pitched around him to get to Konerko.  In turn Konerko got a ton of better pitches to hit.  WTF would anyone pitch to Konerko anymore.  Walk him and then strike out Dye or whomever.

Definitely Frank, but also a bit of healthy Pods.

It seems like a long, long, long time ago, but I still do recall instances where we scored early on because of him.

I do miss Frank though...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
Your joking right? Cleveland have scored 36 more runs than us. If you remember how bad they were in the 1st half of the season, what they've done in the 2nd half far outweighs what we did in the 1st half.

Read the 3rd post on this page...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
They had Frank and Maggs.  :)

And Jermaine Dye's had a better season than Maggs this year, and has pretty much hit for the same power for about $8M less. Thomas and Everett, well Everett after the 1st half has pretty much stunk.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Hahahaha, ok.

That's why we started sucking once he went down.

Our winning percentage with one of the greatest right handed hitters in baseball is much better than it is with Pods.

Qwerty and I hated the Pods for Lee trade....

Well it finally happened. Kenny Williams has officially gone crazy. He just turned one of the Sox best hitters into somebody who can run fast and an average bullpen arm.

In reality we just got older an less talented. Podsednik is a .265 hitter in his 9 minor league seasons. In those 9 seasons, he stole more than 30 bases just once. He stole successfully about once every 14.5AB's, while walking once every 8.5AB's. To compare, Willie Harris was a .290 minor league hitter, who stole more than 30 bases 3 times at a rate of once every 12AB's, walking once every 8.4AB's.

[...]

Harris actually hit better, stole more often, and walked at the same rate as Podsednik during their minor league careers. Harris is two years younger than Podsednik, and with some patience could absolutely become that table setter he was at the minor league level. There's nothing in Podsednik's past to suggest that he will even remotely live up to his fluke of a 2003 season.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Definitely Frank, but also a bit of healthy Pods.

It seems like a long, long, long time ago, but I still do recall instances where we scored early on because of him.

I do miss Frank though...

Remember when we held a lead in like the first 30 or so games of the season?

Yeah, tell me Pods means nothing.

Frank meant something too, though I will agree. But Pods means a lot as well.

Edited by YahtzeeSox

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
And Jermaine Dye's had a better season than Maggs this year, and has pretty much hit for the same power for about $8M less. Thomas and Everett, well Everett after the 1st half has pretty much stunk.

You have to take into consideration A.) who is in Maggs' lineup and B.) How much he missed this season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Since you seem to have the stats...compare the 1st half Sox abg with RISP and 2nd half...

That alone doesn't make up for the amount of runs scored. Cleveland has a better offense than us. They're offense isn't playing over their heads. What they did in the 2nd half AFTER guys like Boone and Martinez were hitting below .200 is remarkable.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Remember when we held a lead in like the first 30 or so games of the season?

Yeah, tell me Pods means nothing.

Frank meant something too, though I will agree. But Pods means a lot as well.

That's because we had good pitching. Remember when JG and MB were pretty much a lock to win everygame? We only had to score about 2 runs which is what we're still doing now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Our winning percentage with one of the greatest right handed hitters in baseball is much better than it is with Pods.

Qwerty and I hated the Pods for Lee trade....

Read that thread, I was also there saying that this trade sucked with 3/4 of the other people. Then, someway during the season everyone fell in love of him because he drove pitchers insane.

Maybe not everyone, but you get the gist. A definite majority was in love with him.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Nobody but his family and a couple of brewers fans knew who he was last year...

He may be a little bit overrated, but I wouldn't go as far as calling him one of the most in all of baseball.

Dude, his average draft position in fantasy drafts the past two seasons has been in about the third round.

Nobody new who Luis Vizcaino was when the deal went down. Pods was a waiver wire reject, and there were several people here wo said just that.

SBs are overrated.