Don't believe the hype

Wong & Owens

So, I had my first ever colonscopy yesterday. I had heard some horror stories, which proved to be incorrect, so I figure if I lay out what happened, someone here may be spared the anxiety in the future lol!

The day before the procedure, you can't eat anything but jello and beverages. No dairy beverages though. This is annoying, but really not so bad. At 7:00 pm the night before, you have to start cleaning yourself out. This involves taking a liquid called Phosphosoda. This liquid is disgusting tasting, but it's only a cup, so it's not that big a deal. An hour after I drank the stuff, I began camping out in the bathroom. I had my radio tuned to the Sox game, my PSP fully charged, and the softest toilet paper money can buy. It's a weird feeling, but not horrible. You're literally crapping out water, but no cramping or anything, so it's not the same as like if you had a virus. At around 11:00pm, I was able to go to sleep. You aren't allowed to eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight.

The next morning, I woke early and took another dose of the phosphosoda. Not much to clean out, so it runs through you pretty quick and easy. Your ass will defintely be raw by this point, so load up on VAseline and use liberally!

A few hours later I get to the hospital, and sign in. After a bit, they take you in for some questioning(are you allergic to any medications, have you ever had surgery before-- that kind of stuff), and take your vitals.

Then, they bring you an area where you can store your clothes and get into the hospital robes. You go back and they put you on a bed, and insert the IV for the sedatives.

They then wheeled be into the room where the exam was to take place, and we waited for the doctor to be ready. The nurse injected a combo of Versed and Demerol, and I don't remember a thing until I was in the recovery room. I felt nothing at all. You fart for awhile in the recovery room, and as soon as you're coherent, the doctor comes in and tells you what they found. After that, they sent me home--but they wont let you drive yourself, so someone has to come with you.

That was it. No big deal at all. If you're anyone like me who was postponing getting checked out of fear of the test itself-- don't sweat it, it's not worth getting worked up over.

Hope this helped someone.

I saw your post about pre-colonoscopy jitters, but didn’t realize it had to do with nerves about the procedure itself. I’m sorry I didn’t jump on and say something. Yeah, it’s the prep work that’s a bit of a drag, but the procedure itself is easy. My only issue was that I wanted to watch what was happening on the video monitor, but I was off into a twilight sleep too soon.

My mom had this done during the summer.

Unfortunately for her, they found a pollup (sp?) -- and the doctors told her that surgery would be required.

I'll just say this -- her surgery went well, she's doing fine now -- but those hours during the surgery were probably the scariest eight hours of my life. I hate hospitals... just the feeling that I get from being there. And, it was terrible seeing her in pain after the surgery, once the numbness had worn off.

Lucky for us, there was no cancer find in the pollup, and she's doing great today.

Just... it's not an experience that I'm looking forward to...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
It is bad that I had to do this stuff when I was 22?

I had one when I was 13 when I was diagnosed with Crohns. It isn't really a big deal heh.

I remember when I had mine I woke up before they were finished and still had the camera in. I was farting like mad and just wanted them to finish so I could go home and get some damn food.

Interestingly enough we were discussing this in my anatomy class today and my teacher, who is female, made it sound horrendous.  I felt like in a few years the doctor is going to violate me.  But I guess it isnt so bad then?

No way! If you understood her correctly, then she must never have undergone a colonoscopy herself. It’s strange how we’re mostly used to violating that largest organ (the skin) with injections, even though that can hurt. But doing something that involves entering an orifice can often creep us out.

One final detail, since we’re being graphic. In order to be able to visualize everything properly, they inject air first, hence the farting after the procedure is finished. I recall the doctor giving the standard caution beforehand that I might feel a little pain or pressure. All I recall feeling was a little awkward. :unsure:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
My mom had this done during the summer.

Unfortunately for her, they found a pollup (sp?) -- and the doctors told her that surgery would be required. 

I'll just say this -- her surgery went well, she's doing fine now -- but those hours during the surgery were probably the scariest eight hours of my life.  I hate hospitals...  just the feeling that I get from being there.  And, it was terrible seeing her in pain after the surgery, once the numbness had worn off.

Lucky for us, there was no cancer find in the pollup, and she's doing great today. 

Just...  it's not an experience that I'm looking forward to...

My mom has the test and then the surgery every couple of years. There is a strong history of colon cancer in my family and she has polyps so they have to do the surgery. So far, so good and no cancer. :cheers

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
My only issue was that I wanted to watch what was happening on the video monitor, but I was off into a twilight sleep too soon.

I got to see the monitor when I had to do a barium swallow a few years ago. Interesting.