Anybody Else Looking Forward to This Being Over?

LVSoxFan

I don't mean the Sox falling out of it; I mean the regular season.

We were spoiled first half like never before (at least not in my lifetime). This second half has been an absolute GRIND. Duking it out with the good teams, inexplicably losing to bad teams, and losing that 15-game lead to get neck-and-neck with... well, just about everybody at this point.

Watching the past couple of weeks has been traumatic, to say the least. And the last two nights I literally barely smile when we get an HR or a stolen base--because I just want the game to be over with us ahead.

What I look forward to is--if we make the playoffs, everything hits "RESET." Nothing matters prior to those games, as some have said: "The best team doesn't win, it's the team who plays best." This entire 2nd half becomes moot and who knows what could happen?

I'm at peace right now after this second half with the idea that we might not get very far--so if that happens, it won't be devastating. And if it does, then hey, WTF: a surprise in Chicago baseball for once!

And while Ozzie's right--why the f*** are people complaining about a club that's 30 games over .500 (think about that. No really, think about how good that is. And how odd it is that we're even IN a race for first with that record.) hopefully the lesson learned is that the Donald Rumsfeld approach should never be repeated:

"You don't go past the trade deadline with the team you want, but with the team you have." Yikes, I hope we never do that again.

Although if we win it all this will be heralded as a genius move, LOL.

Either way, if we get there, at least that's a few more home games... in October. I'll take it, since I didn't get to go to the final home game.

Next Monday can't come soon enough!

Well you have a point. I guess if they were winning I wouldn't be posting about this.

Point taken: that truly is most painful part. It's not like we're going back and forth and losing on their last at-bat. It just seems like we're in a rut of these low, low scoring games and even when they get up on us, like last night, we have chance after chance after chance to come back and/or win, and then...

Nothing.

You're right, though. It's the lack of execution. And I hate seeing well-pitched games wasted by our offense.

But either way, I'm looking forward to next week.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
No, not at all. The day the Sox season is over, I will be thinking about what this team should do in the offseason. Being a die hard baseball/Sox fan means Sox for 12 months of the year. I will obviously watch more Bears/Hawks/Bulls games, but the Sox are far and away my passion, and I dont want it to just "be over"

If it is over and they make it I will be happy..

If Sunday comes and they miss it - I will be dissappointed for a day or so and get over it - life goes on...

But I will be relieved either way that it is over (even if they do miss it :angry: ) as I can finally relax and concentrate/enjoy other things...

But yes - come Sunday, it will be a relief either way...

QUOTE(alexgtp @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Only question I have is..

WTF is the small ball that got us that record. It has been non existant..!!

Actually if you watch the games closely the small ball isn't the problem. Its having someone get a key hit to finish things that has been the problem. We are bunting, stealing, walking moving over runners, and sacrificing just fine again. We just keep having guys die at 3rd base. That isn't the fault of small ball, that is just a lack of clutch hitting, which is completely different.

I have not missed a game all year.

And i notice lately they are swinging more for the fences.

A cple times when the bases were loaded and 1 out. I remember in the first half ozzie would do a squeeze. Why not do it now? Instead they hit into d/p's. A cple times where they should of small balled they swung..

It should be mandatory that everyone on the team learn to bunt.

I cant beleive this season is finally getting to me..

LETS GO SOX!!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
No, not at all. The day the Sox season is over, I will be thinking about what this team should do in the offseason. Being a die hard baseball/Sox fan means Sox for 12 months of the year. I will obviously watch more Bears/Hawks/Bulls games, but the Sox are far and away my passion, and I dont want it to just "be over"

I agree that it will be more fun to talk about offseason moves than it is right now analyzing every single scenario, etc. And as painful as it may seem sometimes now....it's better than being the f***ing Cubs. Like yesterday, while everyone was ready to jump off the ledge, the overall day was a huge plus for the Sox. We desperately needed the Yanks and Red Sox to lose one more game, and they both did.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Actually if you watch the games closely the small ball isn't the problem.  Its having someone get a key hit to finish things that has been the problem.  We are bunting, stealing, walking moving over runners, and sacrificing just fine again.  We just keep having guys die at 3rd base.  That isn't the fault of small ball, that is just a lack of clutch hitting, which is completely different.

Bingo! The guys are all pressing at the plate in big spots. Is it any wonder that Crede won the game with a solo homer? He didn't have the pressure of trying to knock someone in.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
The only thing not fun about the games to me is the lack of execution.

I'm to the point where I want to watch our guys pitch, I want to watch us bat with the bases empty or a runner on first, but when we get a guy in scoring position, I basically want to change the channel, because somehow we're going to shut down.

i think i am ready for the regular season to be done.

it seems like as soon as we got out to the big lead, talk turned immediately from success to, 'well, if we don't at least make it to the world series, this year is a disappointment.'

it's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy. people began preparing themselves for some kind of failure even when this team was riding high. then, to have the second half we had has just taken the joy out of this.

it's too bad, because no one (NO ONE) thought this team would be 30 games over .500 for the most of the season. it doesn't seem like anyone really enjoyed the journey.

I've been watching every game this last summer but now that I'm in school I've watched them alott less than I used to and with the way they're playing I would rather use that time to study. They've shown me nothing to wanna watch them. They are sloppy all-around and we've got a player b****ing about being dropped and a manager contemplating retiment during this important stretch. Why waste my energy stressing over this? Beats me. I am going to watch the last series for sure though and if they make it to the post-season I'm 100% behind them, I just don't think they'll do good with the way we've been playing the last month and a half and there's no consistency now, (meaning they could hardly win 3 in a row or play decent 3 in a row).

It is a grind and we were spoiled by our great start. I don't see the grounders to the right side, the sac flies, and little things happening at this point. If we don't get a serious relaxation on reaching the playoffs any game is about over if we give up three runs. We really need two guys to get real hot as I don't eeven think we can hope for a team hot streak.

I've said for a while now the sad part of our second half freakishness is that I have just wanted the season to end with the Sox somehow holding onto the top spot.

that is contrary to my normal belief that the last day of the season is the worst day of the year and Opening Day the best day of the year.

I've hated having to just wish for the end of the season with us a game on top.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)

Good point.

It's easy to be a Bears fan. Four-and-a-half months (give or take), most games at a convenient 12:00 noon every Sunday.

Being a Sox fan is different. This team is my passion. I've stayed home to watch this team for the past six months watching this team. I've given up other things that I could be at -- like going out with friends, going to football games, etc etc -- just to stay home and watch these guys.

And, while the downs suck -- like watching Cleveland beat us two out of three last weekend at the Cell, or getting swept a few weeks back by Anahiem -- the ups are awesome. When Jenks struck out that last Tiger tonight, that moment is one of the best feelings I've ever had.

Hell -- last night, I was on my knees, hoping Baez could get out of that jam.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's worth it. We need to win tomorrow to get into the playoffs. That's why it's worth it -- for the moment the Sox get the last out to clinch a playoff birth, and for the (hopefully) moment they clinch the AL Central crown, and all the possible playoff scenarios.