Newhan/fan incident last night

redandwhite

Why is it that in Boston a fan reaches onto the playing field its a huge deal, Sheffield is commended for "restraining" himself, the man's season tickets are taken from him, etc.

yet...

last night a fan decked out in Yankee gear, punches/swipes/grabs Newhan, with the clear intention to get the ball out of his glove and into the stands at all costs, and it isn't news.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
White Sox fans won't have much pity for the situation.

i'm not asking for pity, i just would like to hear peoples reasoning, especially White Sox fans, considering all anyone seems to say around here is that the "media" is bias towards the Yankees and Red Sox.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
i'm not asking for pity, i just would like to hear peoples reasoning, especially White Sox fans, considering all anyone seems to say around here is that the "media" is bias towards the Yankees and Red Sox.

doesnt the lack of a response show you that there is in fact an east coast bias? Same thing with Jeffrey Maier. That kid was New yorks hero when he grabbed that ball from Jeffrey Hammonds. Of course, Georgie has alot of media in his backpocket.....

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)

uh, the same thing happened to PODS when we were there. They just said he was tough and its expected in large crowds. Coming from a Red Sox fan, complaining about the favoritism is pretty funny. ESPN and MLB have been parading around the Red Sox like they are show ponies. Fans do this, only complainers get the headlines.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
uh, the same thing happened to PODS when we were there.  They just said he was tough and its expected in large crowds.  Coming from a Red Sox fan, complaining about the favoritism is pretty funny.  ESPN and MLB have been parading around the Red Sox like they are show ponies.  Fans do this, only complainers get the headlines.

To be honest, this has nothing to do with the Red Sox as it does with my hatred for Gary Sheffield. Perhaps ESPN and MLB are "parading around the Red Sox like they are show ponies" because they are the defending World Series Champions? Just a thought.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
To be honest, this has nothing to do with the Red Sox as it does with my hatred for Gary Sheffield.  Perhaps ESPN and MLB are "parading around the Red Sox like they are show ponies" because they are the defending World Series Champions?  Just a thought.

Just as long as whatever other team, who's name I'm not going to mention out of sheer superstitious terror, gets the same treatment next year.

:D

The reason when the fan hit Podsenick and in this case with newhan didnt get the attention because the players didnt react. Sheffield had to go make a huge deal out of it which made it a bigger deal than it really was. Also when its Yanks/Red Sox opening series of the season a lot of people were watching so it was under national spotlight.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
The reason when the fan hit Podsenick and in this case with newhan didnt get the attention because the players didnt react.  Sheffield had to go make a huge deal out of it which made it a bigger deal than it really was.  Also when its Yanks/Red Sox opening series of the season a lot of people were watching so it was under national spotlight.

If the yanks and redsox used a porta potty, there would be fans there to talk about it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
If the yanks and redsox used a porta potty, there would be fans there to talk about it.

Yes, because no White Sox fan would gather around a Paul Konerko or Mark Buehrle who was using a porta potty, or perhaps fans bidding on ebay a while back for Aaron Rowands used toothbrush wasn't enough..

Only Red Sox and Yankee fans are crazy. You're hatred makes you seem foolish.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
:notworthy  :notworthy  :notworthy  :notworthy  :notworthy

I HATE the Red Sox. The fans have been worse this year than Cubs fans!

Can you explain this?

and for the record, I am not taking this personal, and really don't give two s***s about what some schmo on a message board says about the Red Sox, but want to hear his reasoning for what he is saying.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
Yes, because no White Sox fan would gather around a Paul Konerko or Mark Buehrle who was using a porta potty, or perhaps fans bidding on ebay a while back for Aaron Rowands used toothbrush wasn't enough..

Only Red Sox and Yankee fans are crazy.  You're hatred makes you seem foolish.

Dont make yourself look ignorant. To equate white sox fans with Red sox and yankees fans is ridiculous. We arent even the most popular team in our own city. Come on man.