Newhan/fan incident last night

redandwhite

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Dont make yourself look ignorant.  To equate white sox fans with Red sox and yankees fans is ridiculous.  We arent even the most popular team in our own city.  Come on man.

This isn't a popularity contest, we all know that the large market teams have first prize wrapped up there. the fact of the matter is that fans of any team are going to have people who do crazy things, afterall the word "fan" is short for fanatic.

Stop being a fool, youre better than that, I suggest you quit while youre behind.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
This isn't a popularity contest, we all know that the large market teams have first prize wrapped up there.  the fact of the matter is that fans of any team are going to have people who do crazy things, afterall the word "fan" is short for fanatic. 

Stop being a fool, youre better than that, I suggest you quit while youre behind.

You should make sure you dont major in english in college. Because your comprehension skills leave much to be desired.

My post wasnt about people doing "crazy things." It was about the national attention focused on the teams. And the fact that the Red Sox bandwagon has crept past capacity since the WS title, really contributes to the fact that the Red Sox are now the Cubs of the east. And their fans reflect as such. You unjustly compared sox fans to what I said about the attention focused on the Yankees and Red Sox. If you think that they are equal I would suggest maybe watching TV or reading the paper once in awhile. Its ok that your post was wrong, but try not to get too snippy when you are replying next time son.

The Red Sox bandwagon grew after they won the World Series? what a concept. Bandwagons grow as team's succeed, this isn't news to anyone. Infact, I wouldn't doubt the White Sox bandwagon has grown this season more than the Red Sox did upon winning the World Series.

I remember going to the 2000 ALDS and walking up on the day of the game and getting three solid lower deck seats. What a difference five years makes.

I guess that means the White Sox are now the Cubs too?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Infact, I wouldn't doubt the White Sox bandwagon has grown this season more than the Red Sox did upon winning the World Series.

I remember going to the 2000 ALDS and walking up on the day of the game and getting three solid lower deck seats.  What a difference five years makes.

I guess that means the White Sox are now the Cubs too?

wow, just wow. Are you serious? Re-read what you just wrote, I quoted it above, and ask yourself, does this make sense?

Can I compare the fanbase of the cubs and the white sox?

Is it possible that OUR bandwagon grew more than the world champion Red Sox, who had a movie made about them, had players on a gay makeover show, and have been constantly on ESPN every second of the day. When the white sox arent even the biggest draw in their OWN city.

Please, dont compare the two teams or the fan bases. The Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs are always going to be the popular teams. Thats it. They are the easiest team to jump on the bandwagon for. And for the integrity of every white sox fan who GREW UP in this town, please dont compare the two.

Listen man. You may LOVE the Red Sox. But the fact is, they are the popular choice. I have been a fan of a team that is popular only once. The Chicago Bulls in the 1990's were arguably one of the most popular teams of all time in any sport. Obviously growing up a fan when they were terrible, I was a true fan. Many people jumped on the bandwagon when they were good, and it was something that was slightly annoying. But you still have to be honest with yourself and realize that your team will now get better coverage and treatment by the media. Its something you have to deal with, real fan or not. The White Sox are not one of these teams, and may never be. And thats ok with me. But it doesnt change the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees, right now, are a media circus.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Listen man.  You may LOVE the Red Sox.  But the fact is, they are the popular choice.  I have been a fan of a team that is popular only once.  The Chicago Bulls in the 1990's were arguably one of the most popular teams of all time in any sport.  Obviously growing up a fan when they were terrible, I was a true fan.  Many people jumped on the bandwagon when they were good, and it was something that was slightly annoying. But you still have to be honest with yourself and realize that your team will now get better coverage and treatment by the media.  Its something you have to deal with, real fan or not.  The White Sox are not one of these teams, and may never be.  And thats ok with me.  But it doesnt change the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees, right now, are a media circus.

I don't understand what you're getting at? Do you think I'm a bandwagon Red Sox fan? I just honestly have no idea where you're taking this argument and if you think I'm a bandwagon Red Sox fan, my biography will be on newstands next week.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
I don't understand what you're getting at?  Do you think I'm a bandwagon Red Sox fan?  I just honestly have no idea where you're taking this argument and if you think I'm a bandwagon Red Sox fan, my biography will be on newstands next week.

no no no. If you read my post, I am saying I see it from your view. I know you are a long time Red Sox fan, and I stated as such. You just cant get so defensive and try and stretch an argument about the white sox bandwagon vs the Red Sox just to make it look like you arent a bandwagon fan. Being a fan of a popular team comes with its negatives, and this is one of them.

And if you had a book coming out at your age, that would be impressive. ;)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Can you explain this?

and for the record, I am not taking this personal, and really don't give two s***s about what some schmo on a message board says about the Red Sox, but want to hear his reasoning for what he is saying.

My feelingings come from two different sources. The first are 2 people whom I interact with almost daily who are Red Sox fans. There is point where your fan loyalty causes blindness, it happens to all teams. To hear these guys, Pedro was the second coming of Christ, Nomar (before the trade) was the best shortstop in the history of the game, and Manny and Ortiz should have their names just printed on the MVP ballot every year since noone even compares. Hell, they were even trying to say that David Wells was a better pitcher then anyone on the White Sox. C'mon, maybe in his prime, 100 lbs. ago, but this year? Yeah, right. When you point out how other people have had better seasons, or the error in their logic, it is like talking to a 5 year old, as they devolve into insults or anything else to deflect you from the fact that they are a little over-zeaolus, kinda like you have been in this thread so far. The second was from a week I spent in Boston for work this summer. There was a sports bar almost next door, where I spent most of my nights. It just happened to be during a Yank-me series. Maybe I just had a bad sports bar, but the people there were just bad. Boorish behavior, harrassing a few people that were there in Yank-me hats, and after the Red Sox lost, the bar almost emptied out. At least they watched the game, unlike alot of Cubs fans I know.

Oh, and I hate that damn movie, too. Leave it to an SNL vet can make Red Sox fans look like bigger losers than Cubs fans. And I am sick of seeing them and the Yank-me's in all theprime spots. We have a huge market here also, and not everyone wants to see the wrong Sox, or the Yank-mes, play.

Hitler.. is that you? Coming to conclusions about an entire fan base, hell one of the biggest fan bases in the country, because of two people who you interact with occcassionally. That seems real smart.

As for the movie, I have never seen it, and will never see it. Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore are two of my least favorite people in the world for what they have done, I hate the producers, the writers, everyone who took part in that film.

God what I would do to kick Jimmy Fallon in the nuts.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Hitler.. is that you?  Coming to conclusions about an entire fan base, hell one of the biggest fan bases in the country, because of two people who you interact with occcassionally.  That seems real smart.

As for the movie, I have never seen it, and will never see it.  Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore are two of my least favorite people in the world for what they have done, I hate the producers, the writers, everyone who took part in that film.

God what I would do to kick Jimmy Fallon in the nuts.

Get off your f***ing high horse. Did I call you a prick? No, but I might after this. Hitler? How original. Grow up and learn that every criticism of your team and/or it's fans in general is not a personal assault on you. Until then, you just add to the idiocy known as red-sux-nation.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
To be honest, this has nothing to do with the Red Sox as it does with my hatred for Gary Sheffield.  Perhaps ESPN and MLB are "parading around the Red Sox like they are show ponies" because they are the defending World Series Champions?  Just a thought.

if my memory serves me correctly..Boston has been paraded around by ESPN for a heck of a lot longer than just last year. Think of it from our point of view....the Sox (unexpectedly) jump out to the best record in baseball for most of the year. Being unexpected, you think the national media might run a few stories about the Sox and their unlikely start....the cinderella story (since all their 'experts' picked them for third or lower) .

when the Sox were putting up some insane numbers we here in chicago would turn on ESPN and see 20 minutes on the Red Sox loss to Baltimore and another 20 minutes on the Yank-me's getting spanked AGAIN by the D-Rays.

If we were lucky...we would get a quick mention while they were showing the rest of the scores....and honestly....i can think of at least 5 times this year i came home from work late,flipped on ESPN,watched for 30 minutes, never see the damn score just to find out we had a dramatic come from behind win.

to sit there and say that ESPN has no bias towards the east coast teams is a laughable lie.

juddling

Edited by juddling