Trust in Media on the Rise after Katrina

KipWellsFan

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/ne...t_id=1001181569

Gallup's study, conducted Sep. 12-15, finds that 50% of Americans say they have a great deal (13%) or fair amount (37%) of trust and confidence in the mass media, up from 45% at the same time last year. Forty nine percent of respondents say they do not have very much trust (37%) or none at all (12%) in the media, down from 55% last year.

Gallup found that when asked about the news media's political leanings, Americans are much more likely to say they are too liberal (46%) than they are to say they are about right (37%) or too conservative (16%).

more at link

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)

That is just wrong after all of the misreporting and out right lies that got reported as facts during Katrina, and the lack of verification that was put into them. I'd still bet that if you asked a layperson how many people died in the Superdome, they wouldn't tell you anything like 6 or 10. They would probably list something in the hundreds or thousands that they heard while everything was happening. Much of those rapes, murders, and lawlessness have also had issues when trying to be verified. It was also the media who was telling people in NO that things were going to be nearly as bad as they thought, directly contradicting the politicians who were telling them to leave town at the critical hours of evactuation.

The media failed BIG TIME in Katrina. They were too worried about ratings, and not nearly worried enough about the facts.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
I totally agree.

I have stated on more than one occasion that all 3 levels of government failed miserably throughout that whole mess. But the instititution that likes to fashion itself as the 4th pillar of our government really screwed up here, and they deserve to be taken to task for their screw ups, just as much as anyone else did.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
if you have been watching NewsNight with Aaron Brown on CNN lately, they have been goign back and doing some stories about how things got blown out of proportion

its almost like they are correcting thier story

DamageControlBanner.jpg

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 06:21 AM)
That is just wrong after all of the misreporting and out right lies that got reported as facts during Katrina, and the lack of verification that was put into them.  I'd still bet that if you asked a layperson how many people died in the Superdome, they wouldn't tell you anything like 6 or 10.  They would probably list something in the hundreds or thousands that they heard while everything was happening. Much of those rapes, murders, and lawlessness have also had issues when trying to be verified.  It was also the media who was telling people in NO that things were going to be nearly as bad as they thought, directly contradicting the politicians who were telling them to leave town at the critical hours of evactuation.

The media failed BIG TIME in Katrina.  They were too worried about ratings, and not nearly worried enough about the facts.

To be fair I think this poll was taken before it turned out that much of the reports about the Super Dome were outrageously wrong.

255-9.gif

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=255

Poll: public approves of Katrina coverage

A CBS News poll finds very strong support -across party lines - for the job the media has done in Hurricane Katrina reporting. 77% said the media coverage has been "excellent" or "good." When you consider the portion of the audience pre-disposed to hate everything about the media, that's a very strong number. I would have guessed 50%.

http://www.lostremote.com/archives/006021.html

not so sure about accuracy of that 2nd poll