If the Sox win tommorow they clinch AL Central

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
sorry, but i have to disagree. unless they changed the rules, they don't play a one-game playoff to determine the difference between the wc and div. champ. they just go by the head-to-head record. wouldn't it be pointless to send out contreras to try and win a one-game playoff when a playoff spot was already wrapped up?

I just looked it up on MLB.com. They have changed the rules.

If the Yankees lose, we clinch a playoff spot regardless of what else happens.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
sorry, but i have to disagree. unless they changed the rules, they don't play a one-game playoff to determine the difference between the wc and div. champ. they just go by the head-to-head record. wouldn't it be pointless to send out contreras to try and win a one-game playoff when a playoff spot was already wrapped up?

Dude, that came from MLB.com. We would play them in a 1 game playoff.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Ribbie the red sox do matter: Here's why, the redsox losing and us winning gives us the division, that would put us 4 up on them, meaning we cant have a worse record for them, meaning if they win out and we lose out, us and cleveland tie but since both teams of us are in the playoffs we win the division, due to us beating them head to head.

The Red Sox are NOT in our division. They have nothing to do with us winning our division.

It has nothing to do with math.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
I just looked it up on MLB.com. They have changed the rules.

If the Yankees lose, we clinch a playoff spot regardless of what else happens.

that's not a rule change, that's just that if the yanks lose our magic number over the red sox and yanks will be 2 a piece, and since one of them must lose 2 over the wkend, the sox clinch a spot. but that wasnt what i was refering to about rule changes

ALL I WANNA KNOW IS THIS: IF THE SOX WIN TOMORROW, ARE THEY GONNA SPRAY THE CHAMPAGNE?

If I had some faith and wasn't such a pessimistic Sox fan, I'd tell them to hold off on the bubbly so we can do it at the Jake in front of the Tribe...but I'll be just as happy if we spray the bubbly tomorrow.

Go Sox.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Ribbie the red sox do matter: Here's why, the redsox losing and us winning gives us the division, that would put us 4 up on them, meaning we cant have a worse record for them, meaning if they win out and we lose out, us and cleveland tie but since both teams of us are in the playoffs we win the division, due to us beating them head to head.

The Red Sox are not in our division.

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
that's not a rule change, that's just that if the yanks lose our magic number over the red sox and yanks will be 2 a piece, and since one of them must lose 2 over the wkend, the sox clinch a spot. but that wasnt what i was refering to about rule changes

The two statements I made were independent of each other. Sorry for the confusion.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
Dude, that came from MLB.com. We would play them in a 1 game playoff.

Only if the loser wouldn't make the playoffs. They DONT play a play in game to determine the difference between the WC and the division if they are tied and coming from the same division.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Looking ahead to tomorrow if the Sox win and the Indians lose The Sox play at noon and the Indians play at night so if the Sox clinch tomorrow their will be no locker celebration on TV, that sucks.

but if my theory is right, and i truly believe it is, couldnt the sox celebrate with a win because they would be playoff bound as division champs? personally, i could care less about a celebration tomorrow. although it would be nice, i want to see a party in about 3 weeks

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
The Red Sox are not in our division.

Thanks guys, after all this time following the sox I forget who was in our division. Listen, if us and the Indians are tied but both of these teams are in the playoffs, there is NO 1 game playoff then the division winner is determined by head to head which our sox have clinched. Meaning if the we win tomorrow and the Bosox lose they can't finish better then us and if the Indians were to win out, we tie for the division but the bosox are left out because of this, we win the division.

So im a little confused. I got this for sure Assuming the wildcard goes to the AL East than we will have a 1 game playoff match vs the Tribe to see who wins the division. Now what is the scenario if we are tied with the Tribe for the division and wildcard. Do we than get the division crown and the tribe the wildcard because of the head to head or do we still do the 1 game playoff. If its scenario 2 that would suck for both teams.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
Thanks guys, after all this time following the sox I forget who was in our division.  Listen, if us and the Indians are tied but both of these teams are in the playoffs, there is NO 1 game playoff then the division winner is determined by head to head which our sox have clinched.  Meaning if the we win tomorrow and the Bosox lose they can't finish better then us and if the Indians were to win out, we tie for the division but the bosox are left out because of this, we win the division.

Listen. Go to MLB.com.

Look up "playoff tiebreakers" in the search window

Read the White Sox vs. Cleveland tiebreaker very carefully.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Read that. Its updated. DEFINITIVE

Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Indians would host the White Sox unless those two teams finish with the best records in the AL. In that case, there wouldn't be a playoff game. Both teams would make the playoffs, and the first-place team is determined by the two teams' head-to-head record. As of Tuesday, the White Sox led the season series, 11-5, and are guaranteed of the better record.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
Thanks guys, after all this time following the sox I forget who was in our division.  Listen, if us and the Indians are tied but both of these teams are in the playoffs, there is NO 1 game playoff then the division winner is determined by head to head which our sox have clinched.  Meaning if the we win tomorrow and the Bosox lose they can't finish better then us and if the Indians were to win out, we tie for the division but the bosox are left out because of this, we win the division.

it doesnt matter if the red sox win their next 4 games by 100 runs. even if they finish with a better record, it won't matter because as we all know by now, the sox clinch at least a playoff berth with a win tomorrow. even if the red sox win out, even if the tribe wins out, the sox would still be division champs with a win TOMORROW!!!, due to the fact that they would have already clinched a berth and the season series vs. the indians

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)

Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Indians would host the White Sox unless those two teams finish with the best records in the AL. In that case, there wouldn't be a playoff game. Both teams would make the playoffs, and the first-place team is determined by the two teams' head-to-head record. As of Tuesday, the White Sox led the season series, 11-5, and are guaranteed of the better record.

My brain hurts

OK people, I have seen all of the confusion on this board about this situation. So I will tell you how it is. This is the correct version of what will happen.

Sox Magic Number to win division=2

Sox Magic Number to clinch wild card=1

We all agree on that.

What most people are confused about is the one game playoff/tie-breakers

If the Sox are tied with the Indians, and Cleveland and the Sox are tied in the Wild Card, the Sox win the division by the head to head record. THIS IS THE ONLY CASE WERE THE HEAD TO HEAD RECORDS MATTER.

If the Sox and Indians are tied for the division, and the AL east 2nd place team is leading the wild card, then AND only then the Sox would play at Cleveland on Monday October 3rd. The winner winning the AL Central, and the loser going home for the winter.

I hope this clears everything up, as this is the correct way that these senarios would work out

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:47 AM)
it doesnt matter if the red sox win their next 4 games by 100 runs. even if they finish with a better record, it won't matter because as we all know by now, the sox clinch at least a playoff berth with a win tomorrow. even if the red sox win out, even if the tribe wins out, the sox would still be division champs with a win TOMORROW!!!, due to the fact that they would have already clinched a berth and the season series vs. the indians

If the Sox and Indians win tomorrow the Sox only clinch a tie.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)

Thats the scenario Im hoping turns out. Win tommorow than rest the starters really for the Tribe series. Guys are looking tired out there and could all use a break. Just hope to god that we do win tommorow.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Alright here: A White Sox win or Yankees loss and we're in.  A White Sox win and an Indians or Red Sox loss and we win the division.  I'm positive guys, look it up if you want.

it doesnt matter if the red sox win or not. its simple logic. if the sox win tomorrow they clinch not only a playoff berth but a tie for the division, correct? since the best cleveland could do then is tie us, and since in this hypothetical situation the tribe has tied us and the sox have clinched a berth, that means the indians clinch a berth too. and because both teams would already be in, the sox would be awarded the division with a win tomorrow, no matter what happens the rest of the year with boston and cleveland