If the Sox win tommorow they clinch AL Central

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
it doesnt matter if the red sox win or not. its simple logic. if the sox win tomorrow they clinch not only a playoff berth but a tie for the division, correct? since the best cleveland could do then is tie us, and since in this hypothetical situation the tribe has tied us and the sox have clinched a berth, that means the indians clinch a berth too. and because both teams would already be in, the sox would be awarded the division with a win tomorrow, no matter what happens the rest of the year with boston and cleveland

THIS IS THE ACCURATE SCENARIO

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
it doesnt matter if the red sox win or not. its simple logic. if the sox win tomorrow they clinch not only a playoff berth but a tie for the division, correct? since the best cleveland could do then is tie us, and since in this hypothetical situation the tribe has tied us and the sox have clinched a berth, that means the indians clinch a berth too. and because both teams would already be in, the sox would be awarded the division with a win tomorrow, no matter what happens the rest of the year with boston and cleveland

And you're right, good f***in call, you're smart, I am not. :cheers

EDIT: All these tie breaker scenarios have made me do all sorts of math and because of this I have lost all common sense. Kudos man.

Edited by Rowand44

Finally someone else knows whats going on :cheers

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
And they win the tie breaker with the better head to head. So a tie = win

Well, according to Channel 32 Fox Sport, by the virtue of a tie-breaker, the Sox will clinch their division IF they WIN tomorrow game.

Woo Hoo...

Win tomorrow and pop out the champagne!!! :cheers :cheers :cheers

my head hurts so much

guys, the logic is this:

If the red sox lose tomorrow, the best they could finish is 95-67, but that would mean that the yanks would at best finish 94-68 (assuming the red sox somehow sweep the yankees). If the white sox win tomorrow they will have 96-66 at worst. Assuming the tribe sweeps the white sox they will be tied, with the best record in the AL at 96-66. Under MLB's rules, since the division winner and wild card winner have the best records in the league, no tiebreaker game is played.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Finally someone else knows whats going on :cheers

thank you. to be fair, i have a lot of free time on my hands to figure out thses scenarios. remember russell crow in beautiful mind with all the newspapers in the garage? well, i don;t have a garage, but its the same basic premise. now let's finish this thing tomorrow!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
Ok so its all clear now.  Win tommorow and we are going to the playoffs no matter what.  The Tribe if sweep us would be a tie assuming we both win tommorow.  That would put us both at 96 wins.

One team in the East will only be able to get a max of 95 wins so win tommorow and the "choke" is over.

YES!!! Just win tomorrow and we are IN.

thank you. to be fair, i have a lot of free time on my hands to figure out thses scenarios. remember russell crow in beautiful mind with all the newspapers in the garage? well, i don;t have a garage, but its the same basic premise. now let's finish this thing tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Hell yea, I knew what was going on the hole time as well. One more win and we are the 2005 american league central division champion chicago white sox...wow that has a nice ring to it....FINALLY :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3: :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
You know what tomorrow the Sox should be in Cleveland by 7:00 Cleveland time, if they win in Detriot the team should by D-ray hats and tickets to the Cleveland game and if the Indians lose they should celebrate the outright division title right there in the stadium.

that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. i can't think of one legitimate sporting goods shop that would ever carry 30 d-rays hats

Aren't we in right now considering the Yankees and Red Sox play three more times?

Let's say Cleveland does win out and we lose the rest of our games.

They win the division, we are 95-67.

Let's say New York and Boston go 2-2

New York:95-67

Boston:94-68

We're still in!

I've tried every scenario possible, I'm pretty sure we have clinched a playoff spot due to the three games remaining between the Yankees and Red Sox.

Can anyone verify this?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
most news channels and radio in Chicago are reporting that if the Sox win tomorrow they win the division...  the math is way too hard for me, so I am going to believe the media (not the best decision always, but it makes me happy for now)

It's true, you can believe them for once. :P

The way this maddening stretch run has been going (not taking any easy route) we will lose tomorrow and have to consider all the possibilities again :)

JUST WIN SOX! WRAP UP THIS DIVISION AGAINST THE HORSEs*** TIGERS!

PAULIE, CARL, JERMAINE ... do the job veterans do. Just win the game.

And good luck.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Aren't we in right now considering the Yankees and Red Sox play three more times?

Let's say Cleveland does win out and we lose the rest of our games.

They win the division, we are 95-67.

Let's say New York and Boston go 2-2

New York:95-67

Boston:94-68

We're still in!

I've tried every scenario possible, I'm pretty sure we have clinched a playoff spot due to the three games remaining between the Yankees and Red Sox.

Can anyone verify this?

New York goes 2-2 (win 1 from the Red Sox), Boston Goes 3-1 (win 2 from the Yankees), the Sox lose out...all 3 of the teams wind up tied, and we go to the 2 level play in I believe.