Does Jose start game 1?

chisoxfan79

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
3rd best ERA in the AL for the season.

Good enough?

Better, but still no cigar.

You're blind if you think Mark is Mark right now and is the ace of this team. Blind to think he is pitching like the #1 of the best team in the AL, record wise. You and I both know he padded his stats in the 1st half, much like the team padded their record.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Perhaps I should throw this out there then when considering MB's start against Minnesota.

Sox starters against Minnesota, Sept 22-25

34 IP, 18 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 21 K

Those are not lies. The Sox starters went 3-0 with a 1.06 ERA and a 0.65 WHIP in 34 IP against the Minnesota Twins.

That is not all because the Sox starters are golden gods. That has a lot to do with how unbelievably bad Minnesota is offensively.

They pitched well...but running into probably the worst offensive team in the league right now helps that out a lot.

We've got to ride the hot hand. Contreras should start game one with the way he is pitching now and the argue of playoff experience doesn't fit here cause for sure we use Garcia on the road and he's the only one who's had a good deal of experience. I'm not sure if Contreras has had playoff experience with the Yanks(actually pitching in a game) and Garland and Buehrle have definately had none so far. Duque sucks and he's not even part of the equation anymore. :gosox3:

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
Or, how about T-6th lowest WHIP in the AL?  Or 6th highest K/BB ratio in the AL?  Or T-4th in wins in the AL?

WOAH! Felix making a valid point! Somebody take a picture! ;)

Still doesn't change the fact that these stats are padded by his superb 1st half.

Simply put, go with the best pitcher as ofnow, not a couple months ago. The obvious choice being Count.

I'm going to bed. Been fun talking to you.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Sorry, I start Mark Buehrle... followed by Jose, and then Jon and Freddy on the road.  I especially leave Freddy for the road, because he has dominated on the road all season.

while jose is the hottest s*** in baseball right now, i got to agree with you. having burhle breeze through a game one would clinch the series, and hes still our ace. jose second for sure. i like this proposal.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
He is still our best pitcher and you got to believe he will shape up when playoffs start.  That being said not only has he earned it but its setup perfect for Contreras to pitch game 1 already so he should get that.

Contreras-Buehrle-Garcia-Garland

Garcia and Garland are inter-changable really but with ozzie liking Freddy and him having more experiance than Jon thats probably the way it is.

It's always been said that the Count has the best "stuff" on our staff, it was just a mental block holding him back. So now that he's unblocked his mind and is pitching with his stuff, how is MB still the best pitcher on this team? History? The Count didn't start a bidding war between BOS and NYY for the hell of it, the guy has always had TRUE ACE stuff, now we're finally seeing what he can do with it.

If we don't need to use Jose Contreras in the final game of the season...then Jose Contreras starts game 1...and therefore, he'd also start any game 5 clinching game

Go with the hot hand. Especially when it keeps striking people out. Lots of people have said that in the playoffs, finesse pitchers don't perform as well as strikeout type pitchers with good fastballs. Jose has a good fastball, and he's our hottest pitcher.

I want him on the hill.

Mark has been f***ing up as of late. There is absolutely no question about it.

HR allowed in his first 23 starts through Aug 6: 8

HR allowed in his last 9 starts since Aug 12: 12

I can not believe that I'm going to say this, but Contreras should start Game 1. This dude is like 45 years old and he sucked hard through the first few months of the season. And now, he's our #1 starter. :huh:

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
So if Jose had any kind of run support in the 1st half he would be the Cy Young.

I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I know Mark Buehrle has pretty low run support per game this year. There was an article on ESPN.com about the Cy Young candidates awhile ago, and it mentioned that as a plus for him.

Here is why I think Contrearas will start. If you play the Yanks or Angels you get Johnson or Colon twice. We need to put a guy out there that could possibly dominate and shut a team down. Who is that.....Contrearas. Buerhle will go 6 or 7 but may give up 3 or 4. Jose could s*** the bed but I think he is the guy to go with. To hell with stats.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
I can not believe that I'm going to say this, but Contreras should start Game 1.  This dude is like 45 years old and he sucked hard through the first few months of the season.  And now, he's our #1 starter. :huh:

No, he sucked in the middle of the season, which makes the turnaround even more impressive because it pretty much came suddenly out of nowhere.

good

April: 3.04 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, .200 BAA

May: 3.51 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, .198 BAA

bad

June: 5.81 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, .270 BAA

July: 5.71 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .261 BAA

throw-up sick

August: 2.14 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, .242 BAA

September: 1.99 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, .214 BAA

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
No, he sucked in the middle of the season, which makes the turnaround even more impressive because it pretty much came suddenly out of nowhere.

good

April:  3.04 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, .200 BAA

May:  3.51 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, .198 BAA

bad

June:  5.81 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, .270 BAA

July:  5.71 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .261 BAA

throw-up sick

August:  2.14 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, .242 BAA

September:  1.99 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, .214 BAA

Yeah, good point. It seemed like he sucked in the first two months, although that isn't the case on paper.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
It's always been said that the Count has the best "stuff" on our staff, it was just a mental block holding him back.  So now that he's unblocked his mind and is pitching with his stuff, how is MB still the best pitcher on this team?  History?  The Count didn't start a bidding war between BOS and NYY for the hell of it, the guy has always had TRUE ACE stuff, now we're finally seeing what he can do with it.

I didnt say Mark has the better stuff I said Mark is our best pitcher and I still stand by that even though he has had a bad 2nd half. But like I said Contreras earned it and its setup pefectly for him to pitch game 1.