Today's Sox Win was for you, Dad

smalls2598

Although it is a good day to be a Sox fan, I'm also a bit depressed.

My dad passed away earlier this year; he was a huge Sox fan. Of course, he is the one who made my brother, sister and myself into a Sox fan, and also converted my mom from Cubs to Sox.

He was the one that first brought me to Sox games at Old Comiskey Park and taught me all the rules, how to keep score and all the stories of Sox History.

He was there with me at a 93 playoff game vs the Jays, and we watched the Sox win the 2000 Central Division. And after turning 21, we shared quite a few beers while watching the Cubs collapse in the 2003 playoffs.

As stupid or odd as it may have seemed, I dedicated this season to him. And when the Sox had everything going their way in the first half, it seemed that maybe he had something to do with it!

So now that the Sox have wrapped up a playoff spot, it feels great, but it would be so much better if he was with me to celebrate. There is nothing more I'd love tonight than to share a celebratory beer with you.

So :cheers to you Dad; the Sox did this for you!

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

Great post smalls2598. There are indeed generations of Sox fans who stuck with the team through it all and never celebrated with them when they won it all. Hopefully the spirits of all of the Southside fathers and grandfathers no longer with us will give the team a cosmic playoff push.

Here's to all the White Sox Fans who have gone before. :cheers

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
That post was touching, Smalls.

I'm sorry for your loss.  Your Dad is up there smiling right now.

Let's ride this thing out all the way this year! :cheers

AMEN...GREAT POST and thanks for sharing! You can still have a beer with your Dad tonight and celebrate in your own special way. I'm sure he's there with you!

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Very well said. Nothing will ever come between the special father/son sporting events.

Damn straight. I lost my dad about 17 years ago. He was a big Sox fan too, as were probably most of our dads. Times like this are kinda bittersweet, cause you wish your dad was here to enjoy it too. But yeah, thinking of him just makes it all the more special.

:gosox1: For all the dads!!! GO WHITE SOX!!

QUOTE(White Sox @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
I cried after the final out today.  It was the first time i cried since my grandpa passed away 2 years ago.  He was very close to me and we had a very special bond through the white sox.

It's strange how happiness and sadness are so closely tied together.

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Although it is a good day to be a Sox fan, I'm also a bit depressed.

My dad passed away earlier this year; he was a huge Sox fan.  Of course, he is the one who made my brother, sister and myself into a Sox fan, and also converted my mom from Cubs to Sox.

He was the one that first brought me to Sox games at Old Comiskey Park and taught me all the rules, how to keep score and all the stories of Sox History.

He was there with me at a 93 playoff game vs the Jays, and we watched the Sox win the 2000 Central Division.  And after turning 21, we shared quite a few beers while watching the Cubs collapse in the 2003 playoffs.

As stupid or odd as it may have seemed, I dedicated this season to him.  And when the Sox had everything going their way in the first half, it seemed that maybe he had something to do with it!

So now that the Sox have wrapped up a playoff spot, it feels great, but it would be so much better if he was with me to celebrate.  There is nothing more I'd love tonight than to share a celebratory beer with you.

So  :cheers to you Dad; the Sox did this for you!

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:  :gosox4:  :gosoxretro:

Sorry About your pops man. You go and have a beer for him, :cheers he has to be smiling right now from up there.

As stupid or odd as it may have seemed, I dedicated this season to him. And when the Sox had everything going their way in the first half, it seemed that maybe he had something to do with it!

No man that's very cool. :headbang To you and your pops you can never stop learning good things in life and one is being a Whitesox fan through good and bad. This is you and your pops :cheers :gosox1: