Today's Sox Win was for you, Dad

smalls2598

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Although it is a good day to be a Sox fan, I'm also a bit depressed.

My dad passed away earlier this year; he was a huge Sox fan.  Of course, he is the one who made my brother, sister and myself into a Sox fan, and also converted my mom from Cubs to Sox.

He was the one that first brought me to Sox games at Old Comiskey Park and taught me all the rules, how to keep score and all the stories of Sox History.

He was there with me at a 93 playoff game vs the Jays, and we watched the Sox win the 2000 Central Division.  And after turning 21, we shared quite a few beers while watching the Cubs collapse in the 2003 playoffs.

As stupid or odd as it may have seemed, I dedicated this season to him.  And when the Sox had everything going their way in the first half, it seemed that maybe he had something to do with it!

So now that the Sox have wrapped up a playoff spot, it feels great, but it would be so much better if he was with me to celebrate.  There is nothing more I'd love tonight than to share a celebratory beer with you.

So  :cheers to you Dad; the Sox did this for you!

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:  :gosox4:  :gosoxretro:

personally this is my favorite post of the year. amazing. my heart goes out to you and lets win this thing - for all those who never got to see it in life. lets let them see one now.

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Although it is a good day to be a Sox fan, I'm also a bit depressed.

My dad passed away earlier this year; he was a huge Sox fan.  Of course, he is the one who made my brother, sister and myself into a Sox fan, and also converted my mom from Cubs to Sox.

He was the one that first brought me to Sox games at Old Comiskey Park and taught me all the rules, how to keep score and all the stories of Sox History.

He was there with me at a 93 playoff game vs the Jays, and we watched the Sox win the 2000 Central Division.  And after turning 21, we shared quite a few beers while watching the Cubs collapse in the 2003 playoffs.

As stupid or odd as it may have seemed, I dedicated this season to him.  And when the Sox had everything going their way in the first half, it seemed that maybe he had something to do with it!

So now that the Sox have wrapped up a playoff spot, it feels great, but it would be so much better if he was with me to celebrate.  There is nothing more I'd love tonight than to share a celebratory beer with you.

So  :cheers to you Dad; the Sox did this for you!

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:  :gosox4:  :gosoxretro:

To your dad and all White Sox fans everywhere. :cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
For all the joking and crap we have around here, this might just be the thread of the year.  May we have a LOT more memories made in October.

it would have my vote. if that counted for anything.

:P

I feel what you feel. In the past year and a half I have lost my grandma and grandpa, both of which were big Sox fans. My grandma started taking my dad to games when he was a kid, and my grandfather took me. My grandma passed away this summer, but I'm glad we got to take her to several games last year.

These moments are for all Sox fans, past and present. Baseball is a family affair, and when I walk into that park, all the memories come back. I'll never forget those times!

To all the Sox fans, here or not, Sox Win! Let's keep it rolling. Win it for all of us.

:cheers

Thank you everyone for all your warm comments; it definetly made my day, and it's only 842am.

I'm also sorry to hear about the loved ones you have also lost.

But like a few of you have said, they are all smiling from above :)

So let's go get 'em Sox! Keep up the dream year!

Great post smalls.

My dad, and his dad before that, are the reasons I'm a lifelong Sox fan. Fortunately I've enjoyed this season, and now the playoffs, right along side my dad. Baseball is a great sport in that way, there's no other sport that has such deep family connections, I don't really know why that is, but it's definitly the case.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm sure (like has been said by many others here) your pops is able to see and love this just like all of us right now.

:cheers To your Dad

:cheers To all dads who never gave us a choice but to be White Sox fans

reddy, "personally this is my favorite post of the year. amazing. my heart goes out to you and lets win this thing - for all those who never got to see it in life. lets let them see one now." :gosox3:

Nice post there smalls, good to know that this division win is bringing happiness to people in more ways than one in terms of remembering loved ones and the connection to Baseball, Family and the White Sox.

As for my Dad, I've slowly got him interested in the White Sox a little more, everyday I talked him in Phoenix he usually asked if they won or not. When I see him at the airport tomorrow morning, it'll be good to tell him that we actually clinched the division and didn't "choke". :lol:

Great post smalls, I'm sure he's loving this. It's amazing how sports can bring families together and it's funny for me reading all of your guys stories how your dad got you hooked on the sox. For me it's the exact opposite, my dad was never really a baseball fan but since I've become a die hard all the sudden more and more each year he's becoming a big fan, he's even going to a playoff game with me this year, I got him hooked.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to say that nobody I personally know or am related to passed away in the past year.

I'm about to take this thread into a non-familial direction, and I hope that its OK with you guys.

About a month ago, there was a motorcycle crash a few blocks from where I live. There was a young man killed in the crash; I never met him, but as I passed by the makeshift memorial that his friends and family established at the scene of the crash, I noticed that a lot of people had left White Sox gear there. It was pretty obvious what his favorite team was and that this team was probably a major part of his life.

I'm dedicating this division championship to him.

My father, who passed away 5 years ago, was the driving force behind my White Sox obsession. More than anything, I think he was a Yankee hater and the Sox of 1960 presented the best shot at besting them. I still remember sitting in a cottage in northern Ontario, that summer, listening to a transistor radio, fading in and out, as the Sox played the Yankees. For 3 straight nights we listened and played cribbage.

I'll never forget how magical it felt to be listening to a Sox game, live, from so far away. While feeling so close to my father.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations White Sox.

When the Sox clinched the WS last night, I walked up to the picture on top of the tv in our basement and kissed my dad. And I hushed all 12 in the room to take a moment of silence for him.

To hear so many people tell me that they thought of my dad first when the Sox won really warmed me up. It made me smile bigger than i have in a long time.

After waking up today, i drove to the cemetary and shared a Heiniken, one of his favorites, with him.

Thanks for being a Sox fan, Dad. Thanks for making me a sox fan.

:cheers to you. :cheers to the Sox

We all miss you, and this White Sox World Championship was no doubt for you.

My grandfather and dad took me to my first game when I was 3. I still have the coffee mug from the promotion. 1974.

My grandpa died this spring. Had a few not-so-manly moments at work today thinking about him and the times he took us kids to Old Comiskey.

Was able to take my son to Game 1. Wish I could have afforded a ticket for my dad too. What a wonderful experience.

I'm sure alot of us have memories like this. Enjoy it guys. We may not see it again.