Classy Frank...

WSoxMatt

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
ChuaYepcopy.png

That's wonderful greasy. Whenever I argue about whether a player should go to the Hall I always ask 'what are you going to write on his plaque?' The way you phrased his stats and accomplishments is a convincer, particularly the 7 consecutive years. Great work!

Hang on to it so you can change the 2005 to about 2008 -and I hope all with the White Sox.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
That's wonderful greasy.  Whenever I argue about whether a player should go to the Hall I always ask 'what are you going to write on his plaque?'  The way you phrased his stats and accomplishments is a convincer, particularly the 7 consecutive years.  Great work!

Hang on to it so you can change the 2005 to about 2008 -and I hope all with the White Sox.

Thanks TLAK! Man, I hope we get to see a lot of Big Frank in these next few weeks.

What a midseason boost Frank was...  12 homers, 26 knocked in, 16 BBs, a .905 OPS.

Would be real nice right now to not have a problem in the three spot, and have #35 right there -- but that doesn't take away from how much he helped this team in his short time.

Thanks, Frank.  :headbang

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=2370

5-4 vs LAA (1R)

6-5 vs CLE (1R)

11-8 vs KC (1R, 2RBI)

4-3 @ DET (1R, 1RBI)

5-3 @ OAK (1RBI)

10-8 vs TAM (2R)

6-4 vs TAM (1R, 3RBI)

7-2 vs TAM (1R, 3RBI)

1-0 @ CLE (1RBI)

7-5 vs DET (1R, 1RBI)

He was a BIG lift at a time when Jurrasic was struggling badly.

I wish Frank was in that clubhouse.

Plenty of joy, but where was the Hurt?

Plenty of joy, but where was the Hurt?

September 30, 2005

BY CHRIS DE LUCA STAFF REPORTER Advertisement

DETROIT -- Where was Frank Thomas? The White Sox slugger always has enjoyed a party, and this was one of the biggest.

Harold Baines ducked his head in the doorway and peered into a Sox locker room that looked more ''Animal House'' than clubhouse. Champagne was spraying as if it were shot out of a fire hose. The reserved Baines shook his head, then retreated. Less than a minute later, he was dragged inside and soaked, laughing like a child the whole time.

Ozzie Guillen stopped at the same double doors, glanced at the party and walked away. Ten seconds later, he entered the room, and it erupted like a volcano. Guillen was buried in champagne, beer and ice cubes. His effort to remain stoic was foiled as the manager frolicked with all of his giddy players.

When you wear a Sox uniform, these kinds of celebrations are rare. When they do happen, they should be cherished.

''There are not that many of them,'' chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said between puffs of his cigar. ''It doesn't happen that often.''

So where was Thomas?

Though he joined the celebration Thursday night in Cleveland at the team hotel, the player who has worn a Sox uniform longer than anyone else on the current roster -- the last remaining baseball icon in Chicago -- should have been in that chaotic clubhouse, spraying champagne and soaking up every minute of the celebration.

''It's a shame that he wasn't here because he is definitely a part of this team and he helped us win quite a few ballgames this year,'' said center fielder Aaron Rowand, one of Thomas' closest friends on the team. ''I haven't talked to Frank in a couple of weeks. I know he wanted to be here.''

If ever there was a sign Thomas' 15-year career with the Sox is nearing its last chapter, this was it. The Sox are certain to spend $3.5 million this offseason and buy out a $10 million option on Thomas for 2006. After that, it's anyone's guess where Thomas, 37, will sign his next contract.

Since going on the disabled list July 21, Thomas has been excused from being around the team. Guillen prefers his injured players to keep their distance when the team is on the road.

But that rule was relaxed this week with a clinching on the line.

''Frank's not here because he chose not to be here,'' Guillen said. ''The reason he's not here ... you've got to ask him because nobody told him not to be here.''

Members of the front office and the ownership group flew in from Chicago to be with the team before the game, knowing a victory Thursday would clinch the Sox' first American League Central title since 2000.

Even third baseman Joe Crede, who was tracking the Sox' games via his cell phone while attending the birth of his second child in Missouri, rearranged his schedule. Crede, who had planned to join the Sox today in Cleveland, rushed to catch a flight Thursday morning. He arrived about 90 minutes before the game.

No one knew where Thomas spent his day Thursday.

''To be honest, I didn't think about it,'' Guillen said. ''I didn't know Crede was here.''

Even Magglio Ordonez, the former Sox All-Star right fielder who not-so-secretly wishes he were still in Chicago, was at Comerica Park. Down a hallway choked with smoke from the Sox' victory cigars, Ordonez sat in the Tigers' clubhouse.

''I'm happy for a few players, but I'm not really happy that they are going to the playoffs,'' Ordonez said. ''I wish it was us.''

Ordonez was right in the middle of the party when the Sox clinched the Central title in 2000.

On that day, Thomas stood in a corner of the cramped visitors' clubhouse at the Metrodome hugging a bottle of Korbel and beaming as his teammates celebrated what was the first ticket to the postseason for many of them.

''I'm going to cherish this moment, believe me, because you never know,'' said Thomas, whose only other playoff trip came in 1993. ''I really thought I would never get back to this point.''

The Sox got back, and they did so with Thomas' help.

His season boiled down to 34 games -- a stretch from May 30 to July 20 that was wedged between problems with his left ankle. But he contributed 12 home runs and 26 RBI that belied his .226 average.

The sticky situation of whether Thomas would be voted a full postseason share was avoided by the rule that any players on the DL get full shares.

Not that there would have been any debate on the issue.

''Oh, he deserves a full share,'' Rowand said. ''He is a big part of this team. He is the face of the White Sox. He helped us win ballgames to get us where we are now. And it's a shame he's not here to enjoy it with us.''

He was there in Cle for them so that's enuff for me....That headline just makes me want to vomit....Christ, what else does Frank Thomas have to do to get some respect from these media whores? I know Frank will get the biggest roar being introduced for the ALDS and I pray that he'll be here next yr wearing the Sox uniform again :pray

And great job on that Hall of Fame plaque Greasy! Makes my White Sox heart smile wider than yesterday :wub:

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
The interesting thing that I heard was that they still want Frank to have his ankle elevated to prevent swelling, and that is why he wasn't traveling with the team.

I've heard exactly the same thing.

So let's see, on 1 hand, we have people here being happy and proud that Frank showed up, and on the other hand we have the sun times complaining that Frank didn't show up enough.

I still want him back.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
I've heard exactly the same thing.

So let's see, on 1 hand, we have people here being happy and proud that Frank showed up, and on the other hand we have the sun times complaining that Frank didn't show up enough.

I still want him back.

hey guys, why doesnt soxtalk organize a barrage of e-mailings to that end? to let them know that the fans want frank back next year? i dunno something like that couldnt hurt could it?