More Abu Ghraib Photos to be released

KipWellsFan

NEW YORK (AP) -- A federal judge Thursday ordered the release of dozens more pictures of prisoners being abused at Abu Ghraib, rejecting government arguments that the images would provoke terrorists and incite violence against U.S. troops in Iraq.

U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein said that terrorists "do not need pretexts for their barbarism" and that suppressing the pictures would amount to submitting to blackmail.

"Our nation does not surrender to blackmail, and fear of blackmail is not a legally sufficient argument to prevent us from performing a statutory command. Indeed, the freedoms that we champion are as important to our success in Iraq and Afghanistan as the guns and missiles with which our troops are armed," he said.

Gen. John Abizaid, commander of U.S. Central Command, said Thursday that releasing the photos would hinder his work against terrorism.

"When we continue to pick at the wound and show the pictures over and over again it just creates the image -- a false image -- like this is the sort of stuff that is happening anew, and it's not," Abizaid said.

more at link

Seriously, unless there is something new in there, do we really need to see these again? People have been charged, things have been or are in the process of being fixed. All these will do is further inflame the idiots who can't realize that these are photos from when this originally happened. I can see Al Jazera claiming these photos as evidence of even more abuse going on. Tell me how this helps or does anything other than piss off some closed-minded dumb-as-dirt muslims, or provide new anti-war posters for the Casey's mom the media-whore?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
Seriously, unless there is something new in there, do we really need to see these again?  People have been charged, things have been or are in the process of being fixed.  All these will do is further inflame the idiots who can't realize that these are photos from when this originally happened.  I can see Al Jazera claiming these photos as evidence of even more abuse going on. Tell me how this helps or does anything other than piss off some closed-minded dumb-as-dirt muslims, or provide new anti-war posters for the Casey's mom the media-whore?

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy