Smoking ban in Chicago coming soon!!

Irishsox1

This topic seems to be either you love the idea of Chicago bars and restaurants being smoke free or you think that banning smoking in bars is one step away from living in a commie society. I'm under the belief that if NY, LA, London, Rome & Dublin banned smoking, why hadn't Chicago? Remember, you can still smoke, but outside and not right infront of the door.

Sun-Times Article

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yes! That makes me so happy. I live in NY, and I loooooooove the smoking ban. I honestly go to bars and bowling alleys much more now, because I know I won't have to breathe that crap. So, it will be very nice to have that also when I go home.

I'm not a smoker, but I don't think bars should be smoke-free.

Restaurants I can understand, but if you're in a bar putting OTHER harmful elements into your system, then what makes smoke worse than alcohol?

If an individual bar owner wants to make the decision to be a smoke-free environment, that's his or her choice ( and his or her risk of alienating patrons ).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)

Restaurants I can understand, but if you're in a bar putting OTHER harmful elements into your system, then what makes smoke worse than alcohol?

If an individual bar owner wants to make the decision to be a smoke-free environment, that's his or her choice ( and his or her risk of alienating patrons ).

Yes but when you take a drink not everyone else is forced to do so.

This to me, at the heart of it all, is a property rights issue.

Yet another government "law" that takes away our individual freedoms.

If a bar owner chooses to have smoking, the non-smokers can choose to not patronize that bar. A smart entrepenuer can start a "smoke-free" bar and market accordingly.

But no. Our government makes the decisions for us. fyou.gif

QUOTE(Irishsox1 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
This topic seems to be either you love the idea of Chicago bars and restaurants being smoke free or you think that banning smoking in bars is one step away from living in a commie society.  I'm under the belief that if NY, LA, London, Rome & Dublin banned smoking, why hadn't Chicago?  Remember, you can still smoke, but outside and not right infront of the door.

Sun-Times Article

The Commie thinking people are generally the smokers who think thier rights are being infringed by banning smoking in bars. There will always be people like that. I feel that by being forced to inhale someone elses smoke in a bar that my rights are also being infringed, but I guess thats hard to explain to the McCarthy-ist smokers. ;)

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)

I disagree with this on the basis that I as a non-smoker do not choose to put smoke in my lungs. I may choose to drink and beat my liver till scerrosis(sp?) sets in, but thats my choice.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
The Commie thinking people are generally the smokers who think thier rights are being infringed by banning smoking in bars. There will always be people like that. I feel that by being forced to inhale someone elses smoke in a bar that my rights are also being infringed, but I guess thats hard to explain to the McCarthy-ist smokers. ;)

Then don't go in. It's your choice as a consumer. Why should we be MADE BY OUR GOVERNMENT to do this?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Then don't go in.  It's your choice as a consumer.  Why should we be MADE BY OUR GOVERNMENT to do this?

It may be my choice as a consumer, but where is there an alternative? No bar owner in his right mind would do this voluntarily. He/She would drive his smoker business to another bar that allows it. And seeing the health concerns that arise from second hand smoke(at least the figures they show us), its only a matter of time before bar owners start getting their pants sued off by people who survived lung/throat cancer.

I know what you are saying, and I agree with the heart of what you are saying. It is a property rights issue. I just see a pretty bad situation developing in our now sue-happy world, and i think the government sees it too. There was a similar reaction at SIU when they made all of the buildings smoke-free. In the end, noone could argue that you are indirectly affecting someone elses health.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Yes but when you take a drink not everyone else is forced to do so.

Yeah, but no one is forced to do anything in that scenario, really.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I just think that smokers are kind of being piled on right now. Need a new tax? Tax cigarettes. But then make them stand outside and smoke, as if they were dogs taking a s***.

I dunno....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I just think that smokers are kind of being piled on right now. Need a new tax? Tax cigarettes. But then make them stand outside and smoke, as if they were dogs taking a s***.

I dunno....

I think above all governments involved in these bans care about the health of their citizens and maybe more the health costs of smoking. Kap and you do make really good points though.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)

I dunno....

Well, it isn't exactly the most healthy thing to do for your body to begin with...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Ok, so if there are so many people like you out there you can't stand second hand smoke, why in the world ain't some super smart rich ass starting a trendy smoke free bar?

Oh, because the government will take care of that for us.  Nevermind.

/looking for super smart rich ass looking to start trendy smoke free bar

Nope, cant find one. I think the problem is that the root issue for the Government(or so they would lead you to believe) is health, whereas the root issue for the smokers, who ignore the health issue of cigarettes entirely, is their rights to smoke where they please.

And so you know, I agree with the ban mostly because I hate smelling like stale cigarettes when i come home from a bar, the issue of health due to second hand smoke is secondary to me.

Dont worry, all smokers will be smoking Victory Cigarettes sooner or later. ;)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
/looking for super smart rich ass looking to start trendy smoke free bar

Nope, cant find one.  I think the problem is that the root issue for the Government(or so they would lead you to believe) is health, whereas the root issue for the smokers, who ignore the health issue of cigarettes entirely, is their rights to smoke where they please.

And so you know, I agree with the ban mostly because I hate smelling like stale cigarettes when i come home from a bar, the issue of health due to second hand smoke is secondary to me.

Dont worry, all smokers will be smoking Victory Cigarettes sooner or later.  ;)

So in your eyes its ok for people to go drink themselves silly but you're worried about their health from inhaling second hand smoke?!

That's pretty hypoctitical.