Smoking ban in Chicago coming soon!!

Irishsox1

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
So in your eyes its ok for people to go drink themselves silly but you're worried about their health from inhaling second hand smoke?!

That's pretty hypoctitical.

how so? I cant control the air I breath, I can control the drinks I put in my mouth.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
They tried to ban alcohol back in the 20's but that didnt work out so well.

i know. That was part of the joke. I didnt think I needed to put that in green for you Nuke, you usually catch on quicker than that. :D

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
The government has no business telling private entities like bars or restaurants or bowling alleys or whatever that people cant smoke inside their establishments.

i agree with nuke 100%. i started smoking at 15 or 16 i dont recall which one. i quit smoking on aug 9th 2005. i'm 27 now. i enjoyed smoking. i will miss it 20 years from now. if you dont like cigarettes dont go into bars. wanna start a smoke free bar go for it. bars and cigarettes just fit together. goverment needs to stop sticking its noise where it does not belong. if i was a bar owner and they banned smoking in my bar and i started losing tons of money cause people who smoke cant come into my bar. i would go off on someone.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
i agree with nuke 100%. i started smoking at 15 or 16 i dont recall which one. i quit smoking on aug 9th 2005. i'm 27 now. i enjoyed smoking. i will miss it 20 years from now. if you dont like cigarettes dont go into bars. wanna start a smoke free bar go for it. bars and cigarettes just fit together. goverment needs to stop sticking its noise where it does not belong. if i was a bar owner and they banned smoking in my bar and i started losing tons of money cause people who smoke cant come into my bar. i would go off on someone.

Well, sure...

But in my personal opinion, people who are eating with one hand while smoking and holding a cig in the other look like absolute moronic trash.

It should definitely be banned in restaurants. That's just annoying as hell.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Well, sure...

But in my personal opinion, people who are eating with one hand while smoking and holding a cig in the other look like absolute moronic trash.

It should definitely be banned in restaurants.  That's just annoying as hell.

Just because some people find it annoying that means you have to have government intervention?

Well, sure...

if you dont like watching someone eat and smoke. then turn around and leave the restaurant and find another. :P

Well, sure...

i used to eat and smoke too. guess that made me moronic trash. :lol:

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)

Do you think all bars would lose business if they all became smoke free? I dont. See, in the scenario that you guys insist (start up a smoke free bar if you dont like it), the smokeless bar owner does risk losing business, because smokers can go to a bar which allows smoking. if there is a smoking ban, the drinkers and smokers wont stop drinking at a bar because it is smoke free. They would all be smoke free.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Then don't go in.  It's your choice as a consumer.  Why should we be MADE BY OUR GOVERNMENT to do this?

Because they end up footing part of the bills for health care costs of smokers? Why have to foot the bill for nonsmokers too?

MY problem is for the employees. What obligation the employer have to protect its workers if it promotes an enviornment that isn't healthy? Any plants where you are surrounded by hazardous materials, OSHA requires that reasonable protections be in place. For example a nuclear power plant can't just send someone into the reactor core without a protective suit, a steal mill has to give breathing mechanisms to people who work in areas where coal dust is prevelent... etc.

Why doesn't OSHA force these kind of institutions protect waiters/resses, bartenders etc, from being exposed to the conditions that cause lung cancer? Easy, they are on the lowest end of the pay scale, and don't have union protection to fight for them. There is no reason that these people don't deserve the same clean work enviornment as anyone else.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Just because some people find it annoying that means you have to have government intervention?

What I meant by "But in my personal opinion" was that I was giving my personal opinion...I find smokers in restaurants annoying...

But in regards to what you said, I think that the government should have a right to do so if they can provide valid proof that it is harmful to non-smokers.

There needs to at least be better ways to seperate smoking and non-smoking areas than by posting a sign. The damn smoking is still going to travel around the whole restaurant, especially if you're in the non-smoking area in certain restaurants right next to the smoking area.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
MY problem is for the employees.  What obligation the employer have to protect its workers if it promotes an enviornment that isn't healthy?  Any plants where you are surrounded by hazardous materials, OSHA requires that reasonable protections be in place.  For example a nuclear power plant can't just send someone into the reactor core without a protective suit, a steal mill has to give breathing mechanisms to people who work in areas where coal dust is prevelent... etc. 

Why doesn't OSHA force these kind of institutions protect waiters/resses, bartenders etc, from being exposed to the conditions that cause lung cancer?  Easy, they are on the lowest end of the pay scale, and don't have union protection to fight for them.  There is no reason that these people don't deserve the same clean work enviornment as anyone else.

:rolly

Environmental hippy.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
So in your eyes its ok for people to go drink themselves silly but you're worried about their health from inhaling second hand smoke?!

That's pretty hypoctitical.

Not everyone who goes into a bar drinks alcohol. When I go to a bar albeit that happens rarely, I end up drinking diet cola. Cigarette smoke is up there on the list of why Brian and I don't go to bars. That and the cost of a drink (even just pop) is ridiculous.

This is a public health issue, pure and simple. According to the CDC, each year, more than 400,000 Americans die from cigarette smoking. Compare that number to the loss of life in shocking events in your lifetime which have caused public outrage. No natural disaster or war comes close.

To say that the government cannot come into a place of business and regulate a legal substance is ridiculous. Every nuance of a restaurant including food, liquor, structure, seating, buying and selling procedures, and waste disposal are all heavily regulated by the city. They are regulated to protect the health of customers and the general welfare of the city. If the amount of toxins and carcinogens which are in a cigarette were to be regularly spilled into communal drinking water, there would be immediate regulation to stop it. Yet cigarette smoke with its toxins is allowed into the breathing air. By regulating the use of a legal substance in a public venue - like we do with liquor - we are not letting in some unknown destroyer of democracy.

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/smoke_free_chicago/

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
Hell yes! That makes me so happy. I live in NY, and I loooooooove the smoking ban.  I honestly go to bars and bowling alleys much more now, because I know I won't have to breathe that crap. So, it will be very nice to have that also when I go home.

I'm with you. I think the Cali area was the first to do this sort of ban and its freaking awesome in my book. I love being able to go into a restaurant and smell the food instead of smoke.