Ortiz's season

Punch and Judy Garland

With all the media hype surrounding Big Papi, let's take a look at the numbers for htis year against the 2 DH's from 2000. You might be surprised

Ortiz 298/394/605 47 homers, 146 ribbies, 117 runs, and 122 K's

Giambi 333/476/647 43 homers, 137 ribbies, 108 runs, and 96 K's

Thomas 328/436/625 43 homers, 142 ribbies, 115 runs, and 94 K's

Clearly, to me, the 2000 Dh's had better numbers. In conclusion, in case any yahoo tries to tell you that Ortiz has had a historic season-it's hyperbole because The Big Hurt and Jason Giambi were better just 5 years ago

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 05:52 AM)
Well, people are acting like even though he;s been a DH he's had this otherworldly season by DH standards and clearly it's not the greatest ever for a DH. Not surprised that you took an opportunity to slurp your boys though. Is the approval to the SOSH boards still pending?

I'm not "slurping" my boys, anyone whose a fan of baseball should be able to recognize what David Ortiz has done and acknowledge it. You're obviously having trouble doing so.

approval to SoSH? what are you talking about?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
I'm not "slurping" my boys, anyone whose a fan of baseball should be able to recognize what David Ortiz has done and acknowledge it.  You're obviously having trouble doing so.

approval to SoSH? what are you talking about?

Everyone here knows that Ortiz is a great player and is having a fantastic season but how is it historical? I think that's the point Punch is trying to make.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
Everyone here knows that Ortiz is a great player and is having a fantastic season but how is it historical?  I think that's the point Punch is trying to make.

Everybody on this board was in love with Timo Perez for what he did in clutch situations at times last year. Multiply what Timo Perez did last year for the White Sox in clutch situations times some obscurd number, and you have about what David Ortiz has done this year for the Red Sox in clutch situations.

21 game tieing or game winning home runs? The man could very well be the best hitter in baseball right now.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Everybody on this board was in love with Timo Perez for what he did in clutch situations at times last year. 

Lies. I've been happy for the White Sox when Timo has gotten a game winning hit, and I've been happy for Timo...I do not recall EVER loving Timo Perez on this team. Knowing how "clutch" he is, I've been calling for him to be gone for a year and a half now. He can have the game winning hit in game 7 of the World Series, and I'll still trade him for a bag of balls.

21 game tieing or game winning home runs?  The man could very well be the best hitter in baseball right now.

Does game tying include a solo shot in the first inning to tie the game at 1-1? Does game winning include a 2 run homer in the 5th to put Boston up 5-3, and Boston ends up winning by that same exact score? If so, I'd assume that 21, while still impressive, is definately a bit inflated. How many game-tying/winning homers does he have in close and late situations? Considering his splits of .346 11 33 1.293 in close and late situations, while still incredibly impressing, screams to me that his 21 game tying/winning homers is way inflated. Technically speaking, he may have 21...but there really are very few clutch hits in the 4th inning of a game, especially during the regular season.

Edited by witesoxfan

I really wasn't trying to pick a fight by starting the thread, just a discussion. Mainly, its to appreciate Franks' great season which didn't land an award. I don't usually start topics looking for a particular person to respond. Anyways, A-rod 4 for 5 today, Ortiz had an insignificant day at the dish today. I think Ortiz needs to single-handedly put his team into the wild card tomorrow in order to have a shot at the mvp

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
I really wasn't trying to pick a fight by starting the thread, just a discussion. Mainly, its to appreciate Franks' great season which didn't land an award. I don't usually start topics looking for a particular person to respond. Anyways, A-rod 4 for 5 today, Ortiz had an insignificant day at the dish today.  I think Ortiz needs to single-handedly put his team into the wild card tomorrow in order to have a shot at the mvp

It was said before the weekend started that the MVP would go to whomever made it to the playoffs and that Ortiz was in the lead. If they both make the playoffs, Ortiz probably would still be in the "lead." Although you're right, slappy did have a hell of a day today, he might have surpassed him.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Everybody on this board was in love with Timo Perez for what he did in clutch situations at times last year.  Multiply what Timo Perez did last year for the White Sox in clutch situations times some obscurd number, and you have about what David Ortiz has done this year for the Red Sox in clutch situations.

21 game tieing or game winning home runs?  The man could very well be the best hitter in baseball right now.

the best hitter in baseball doesnt have a BA under 300 and an OBP under 400. and i agree that we'll see how good he really is once manny's gone.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
the best hitter in baseball doesnt have a BA under 300 and an OBP under 400.  and i agree that we'll see how good he really is once manny's gone.

the best hitter right now is what I said, and in september he has a batting average of .320 an OBP of .425 a SLG of .670 with 11 home runs and 29 rbi.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Redandwhite, it all started with you calling yet another post you didin't agree with "stupid."

Thanks, Jack. There already is an MVP thread, no one is calling this season heroic for Ortiz' numbers, but more so how he's put up those numbers as I explained. This is a waste of a thread.