Yesterday's game should guide pitching

VAfan

We may see some 13-inning games in the postseason, and we need the pitching staff that can deal with that eventuality.

The keys to being able to go long are El Duque and Brandon McCarthy. If one of them (I'd use El Duque just like yesterday) is used in the 7th, the other will be able to come in after the game goes extra frames and hold on for several innings. No other team is going to be able to match us in that way, which should give us an edge if the game goes long.

If you keep Vizcaino instead, you may only get a batter or two instead of an inning. And if you only keep El Duque and not McCarthy, if you use El Duque like Ozzie used him yesterday, then we're exposed with no long man if we go into extra innings.

Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, Jenks, Marte are 8th and 9th inning guys. Maybe the 7th too. But you can easily use them up in a tight game if you start playing matchups. On either end of these guys you need a long man.

El Duque and McCarthy should both make it. Give Vizcaino a full playoff share to root for us on the side.

We may see some 13-inning games in the postseason, and we need the pitching staff that can deal with that eventuality.

The keys to being able to go long are El Duque and Brandon McCarthy.  If one of them (I'd use El Duque just like yesterday) is used in the 7th, the other will be able to come in after the game goes extra frames and hold on for several innings.  No other team is going to be able to match us in that way, which should give us an edge if the game goes long. 

If you keep Vizcaino instead, you may only get a batter or two instead of an inning.  And if you only keep El Duque and not McCarthy, if you use El Duque like Ozzie used him yesterday, then we're exposed with no long man if we go into extra innings. 

Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, Jenks, Marte are 8th and 9th inning guys.  Maybe the 7th too.  But you can easily use them up in a tight game if you start playing matchups.  On either end of these guys you need a long man. 

El Duque and McCarthy should both make it.  Give Vizcaino a full playoff share to root for us on the side.

Agreed. We spent the $ on El Duque for the post season. His numbers are slightly better than Vizcaino's against BOS & LAA. There's no reason to choose Vizc over El Duque.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Agreed. We spent the $ on El Duque for the post season.  His numbers are slightly better than Vizcaino's against BOS & LAA.  There's no reason to choose Vizc over El Duque.

I'm not a big Vizcaino fan, but he has pitched well in the 2nd half, has a rubber arm, meaning he can probably pitch 1-2 innings or multiple games if needed. Do you prefer an aging, possibly washed up pitcher to completely change his role and come out of the bullpen based upon what he did in the playoffs for the Yankees a few seasons ago ? Did I mention that El Duque has been pretty brutal in the 2nd half ?

Again, not necessarily in support of Vizcaino (or Marte), but I'd probably stick with my bullpen over El Duque - at least in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I'm not a big Vizcaino fan, but he has pitched well in the 2nd half, has a rubber arm, meaning he can probably pitch 1-2 innings or multiple games if needed. Do you prefer an aging, possibly washed up pitcher to completely change his role and come out of the bullpen based upon what he did in the playoffs for the Yankees a few seasons ago ? Did I mention that El Duque has been pretty brutal in the 2nd half ?

Again, not necessarily in support of Vizcaino (or Marte), but I'd probably stick with my bullpen over El Duque - at least in the 1st round of the playoffs.

More #'s damaging Vizcaino: vs LH: .330BA .411OBP .468SLG (He's useless vs them)

Both BOS & LAA have well balanced lineups.

0 days rest 6.75ERA 20.0IP .326BAA

NON 0 out .281BAA, 802OPS, NON 1,2 out .278BAA, .828OPS, CL&L .303BAA, 374OBP, 404SLG

Give him his share & sit him down.

Allow me to make the case for El Duque:

RISP, 2 outs: 59AB .186BAA, .619OPS. CL&L 18AB .222BAA, .652OPS. RISP, all: 126AB, .230BAA, .701OPS

RON, 2: 44AB, .205BAA, .635OPS

RON, 3: 22AB, .273BAA, .711OPS

RON 1,2: 29AB, .207BAA, .599OPS

RON 1,2,3: 13AB, .077BAA, .225OPS

Vizc can't touch those numbers.

This is a HUGE decision & I can only hope that Ozzie chooses the crafty vet over a sporadic RH RP.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

RISP, 2 outs: 59AB  .186BAA, .619OPS.  CL&L 18AB .222BAA, .652OPS.  RISP, all: 126AB, .230BAA, .701OPS

RON, 2:  44AB, .205BAA, .635OPS

This is a HUGE decision & I can only hope that Ozzie chooses the crafty vet over a sporadic RH RP.

Are those numbers on the season or in the 2nd half of the season ? I ask because Vizcaino did have a better 2nd half than El Duque.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)

RISP, 2 outs: 59AB  .186BAA, .619OPS.  CL&L 18AB .222BAA, .652OPS.  RISP, all: 126AB, .230BAA, .701OPS

RON, 2:  44AB, .205BAA, .635OPS

I don't even care what the numbers say, and I've always cared what the numbers say.

Who do you want if we win the ALDS and get the Yankees in the ALCS?? I would take El Duque over most of the pitchers on our roster (Contreras excluded) if I needed to get that Yankee lineup out. Especially for a critical inning. I'm not saying I'd make El Duque our closer, but I think using him in the 7th or even 8th inning would give us a decided edge. Face it, we're likely to be looking at several 1-run games. I don't want to see Marte or Vizcaino in any 1-run game at any time. But I'd trust El Duque completely in that situation.