I'm disappointed

FlaCWS

The White Sox have shown they can beat any of the teams contending for the playoffs. They have also shown they can be beaten by any of them. If anyones fears a particular team, remember that if you don't see them in the ALDS you could get them in the ALCS so what's the diff? You have to go through all of them to get the prize.

I really don't believe much in play off match ups, these series are so short that it comes down to who is hot at at the right time, there are not 162 games to even things out. I don't think anyone can predict who will be hot next week.

I just want the White Sox to play their hearts out against whoever they get and let the chips fall where they may.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty simple. We CAN manufacture runs against both BOS & NYY. We have shown the ability to do that. We CAN'T manufacture runs against LAA. They are too good defensively. Which means to beat them we must BOTH outpitch them & outslug them.

What the SOX are doing right now in CLE is what plays to their strengths the most: open against BOS, pray NYY gets past LAA, & beat NYY to get to the World Series. Having taken that road the likelihood of winning the World Series is high.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I know it's not official yet, but today's events make it very likely that we'll play the Bosox in round 1. That is the one team I wanted no part of. I realize their pitching is weaker than NY or the Angels, but Ortiz and Manny send a shiver up my spine. Plus they are the defending champs. I certainly wasn't rooting against the White Sox this weekend, but I was sort of hoping they would lay down for the Tribe. I like our matchup against LA much better. Now the Tribe will have to win 2 straight and Boston will have to lose 2 straight for that to happen.

I still think we can beat Boston, I just like our chances better against the Angels.

You like our chances against the Angels? Are you nuts? You should want to play anyone, but a team from the West Coast. We get our asses handed to us game after game against the Angels or A's.

Schilling is going today for the Red Sox. His Era is around 7 in his last several starts. If the sox lose today, I would expect the one game playoff Indians v. Red Cubs. Schilling is not going to beat the Yanks. I would embrace the one game playoff. Let the Indians and Red Cubs beat each other up before the playoffs. Just as long as we don't have to see Bart Colon waddling out to the mound in the first round against us.

QUOTE(BigNDfan80 @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
You like our chances against the Angels?  Are you nuts?  You should want to play anyone, but a team from the West Coast.  We get our asses handed to us game after game against the Angels or A's.

The bottom line is that LA doesn't have Ortiz and Manny.

I also think regular season means nothing when the playoffs start. I remember a bunch of years ago the Dodgers beat the Mets in the playoffs after losing something like 11 out of 12 to them during the regular season.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
I think there's a chance of that but they could also move schill up to game 3 cause of the day off on thursday.

I don't think they will move Schilling up. He hasn't been good his past couple of starts and he would be pitching on 4 days rest. An old man like that who has been injury riddled this year should pitch on normal rest.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
I still think we can beat Boston, I just like our chances better against the Angels.

Red Sox = no pitching

Angels = good pitching and good hitting

I dont want the Angels at all..

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I don't think they will move Schilling up. He hasn't been good his past couple of starts and he would be pitching on 4 days rest. An old man like that who has been injury riddled this year should pitch on normal rest.

That is normal rest.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
This year, yea, it has.  But it has much more potential to be great.

Actually, it really doesn't...unless Steve Finley suddenly finds his youth or Garret Anderson suddenly heals.

We've hit far more home runs this year, but we've scored almost the exact same number of runs as LAA. How have the Angels kept up? Very simple...they're the #1 team in the AL in hitting with RISP.

The White Sox hit roughly 30-35 points worse than the Angels with RISP. If you're willing to believe that for several people, high or low numbers with RISP can be an artifact of a small sample...that's a number that can really turn around rapidly.

The Sox have a lot of power...but if they can get a little bit hot with RISP, our offense has far more potential to be great than the Angels. The Angels aren't suddenly going to find power that they don't have. But a couple of clutch hits by guys who have been poor at it for parts of this year - Dye, Pierzynski, (2 playoff veterans), etc. , and our offense could look a lot better.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
This year, yea, it has.  But it has much more potential to be great.

Huh?

They have one great hitter. Vlad.

After that, it's a bunch of slap hitters, like Erstad, Figgins, and Kennedy.

Finley and Anderson aren't getting any younger, neither have OPS' above .750. Cabrera isn't very good, either.

Molina, really, is the second best hitter on their team. That isn't saying much.

Contreras would carve up that lineup, IMO.

I really like our chances with the Red Cubs. Hope I'm right about that. We'll see. As for NY vs. LA, I would lean toward wanting the Yankees. One reason is that, Yeah, I just want to beat the f***ing Yankees. But, all that aside, I think I'm more concerned with LA's pitching and defense than I am with NY's hitting.

I believe in the old adage that good pitching beats good hitting. I also believe in the other old adage that good defense wins championships. The Yankees are filled with good veteran players that have been through numerous post seasons, and that's not something to take lightly. Still, I like our chances against them better than LA. But, we have to get past the Red Cubs first.