Yoda

September 30 - October 2

flightplan_poster.jpg

1.) Flightplan $15,038,000

2.) Serenity $10,141,000

3.) Tim Burton's Corpse Bride $9,755,000

4.) A History of Violence $8,200,000

5.) Into the Blue $7,000,000

A-list superstar Jodie Foster easily retained the box office crown with her action thriller Flightplan fending off competition from a flood of new releases to stay at number one for the second straight weekend. Moviegoers yawned at most of the new films entering the multiplexes with the sci-fi action pic Serenity delivering the best performance among the freshman class. Following four consecutive frames when ticket sales beat 2004, the marketplace slumped and fell sharply versus last year to kick off the all-important fourth quarter. The session also saw the lowest gross for a number one film all year.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
I'm a little surprised Into the Blue did so little box, seemed to me that they had a huge advertising campaign.  I may be wrong but it actually seems like movie goers are actually making better choices of which movies they go to.

Well then people would be seeing a history of violence no?

Edited by qwerty

i'm a little saddened that some of my favorite actors and actresses have resorted to playing the same character since they've gotten older (al pacino, jodie foster)

Which one is Pacino in? My main beef with him is that he seems to be be shouting all the time now. I guess I gave up following him after Scent of a Woman. Hoo-ah! Or whatever inanity he kept uttering.

Hey! Jodie doesn't play teen hookers any more. So what's your beef with her roles? :D

Anyway, I'm humiliated to see that I went to a movie that was #1 with opening week audiences.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
The last movie I saw was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and the next one I will see will probably be the 4th Harry Potter movie.

last i saw was batman begins iirc.

only movie on that list that remotely interests me is serenity, and will most likely wait for it to come out on dvd...

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 06:25 AM)
Which one is Pacino in?  My main beef with him is that he seems to be be shouting all the time now.  I guess I gave up following him after Scent of a Woman.  Hoo-ah!  Or whatever inanity he kept uttering.

Hey! Jodie doesn't play teen hookers any more.  So what's your beef with her roles?  :D

Anyway, I'm humiliated to see that I went to a movie that was #1 with opening week audiences.

he's not in any of those ones, its just the last prolly 6 pacino movies i've seen he just plays this angry guy yelling at the top of his voice....

jodie foster ... doesn't this movie seem eeirily similar to panic room?

....jodie foster ... doesn't this movie seem eeirily similar to panic room?

That’s exactly what I thought when I heard the premise. Actually, I’ve never seen Panic Room, even though I like Forest Whitaker. The trailers made it look too much like your typical damsel in distress crap.

I decided to check out Flightplan because I read two wildly differing reviews and because I wanted to see what sort of role choices Jodie Foster was making these days. I thought it was a perfectly serviceable action thriller. Well, maybe not too much action there. But it was mostly, kinda plausible; it dumped you right into a feeling of unease from the very start; and just about the time I was starting to fidget, it ended. What more could one ask of the genre?

Maybe I’m just engaging in cheap psychobabble, but I think Foster’s choice to intensely guard her personal life colors her acting. This works to her advantage in flicks such as Silence of the Lambs, but sabotages others where she should be able to be open and expansive.