Bush's nomination for Supreme Court announced

southsider2k5

Here’s a (unintentionally?) funny paragraph from a New York Times profile today:

A native of Dallas, Ms. Miers is single and described by friends as a devout church-goer. While no back-slapper, she did take part in law firm softball games. She is known to enjoy music, running, playing tennis and watching football.

She’s sounding a little like a conservative version of Janet Reno. Any bets on how long before the rumors start?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
LMFAO.  I wish people would make up there minds... first Bush sucks because he won't listen to anyone else, then we he listens to other people and backs down a bit, he is a wimp like his father.  Priceless.

That seems a little unfair. Are you surprised in this country that there are always people who will agree and some that will disagree? There is not one issue that America 100% supports.

I knew them both and believed that, while liberal, they were highly honest and capable jurists and their confirmation would not embarrass the President.

I support this position and would substitute Conservative for liberal and hold the same position. honest and capable (good character and citizenship) works for me.

Did I hear she's a Texan? Then dammit, confirm her, she must be good.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Here’s a (unintentionally?) funny paragraph from a New York Times profile today:

She’s sounding a little like a conservative version of Janet Reno.  Any bets on how long before the rumors start?

Well, she has backed "Civil Rights" for homosexuals.

Link

See any familiar names?

Locke Liddell & Sapp's agreement to pay $ 22 million to settle a suit alleging it aided a client in defrauding investors is expected to serve as a warning to other firms that they must take action when they learn a client's alleged wrongdoing may be harming third parties. The Dallas-based firm agreed April 14 to settle a suit stemming from its representation of Russell Erxleben, a former University of Texas star football kicker whose foreign currency trading company was allegedly a Ponzi scheme. Erxleben pleaded guilty last November to federal conspiracy and securities-fraud charges and is to be sentenced in May.

"It's a very simple legal proposition a lawyer can't help people steal money," said George, of George & Donaldson. George represents investors who lost $ 34 million they placed in Erxleben's Austin Forex International. Daniel N. Matheson III, a former Locke Liddell partner who represented Erxleben, said in his deposition that he knew in March 1998 that $ 8 million in AFI's losses hadn't been reported to investors. AFI, which was founded in September 1996, shut its doors in September 1998. A few days later, Texas securities regulators seized its accounts and put the company into receivership.

Harriet Miers, co-managing partner of Locke Liddell, said the firm denies liability in connection with its representation of Erxleben. "Obviously, we evaluated that this was the right time to settle and to resolve this matter and that it was in the best interest of the firm to do so," Miers said.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)

Link

Straight people also support equal rights for all Americans . . . But I like women, so I may be a lesbian also . . .

Link

Hmmmm, dunno 'bout that. This from your linked piece:

She answered "No" without elaboration when asked whether she believed, both as a citizen and a legislator, that criminalization of the private sexual behavior of consenting adult lesbians and gays should be taken out of the Texas criminal code.

Still trying to unearth the positives of this nominee - she majored in math for her undergraduate degree.

So what the hell does this mean?

Karl Rove, the president's top political adviser, started calling influential social conservatives to reassure them about the pick even before it was announced. He called James C. Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, over the weekend, and Richard Land, a top public policy official of the Southern Baptist Convention on Monday morning, said several people briefed on the calls. Paul Weyrich, the veteran conservative organizer, said Ed Gillespie, the former Republican Party chairman lobbying for confirmation, called at 7:10 a.m. to tell him the news.

In each call and in a series of teleconferences throughout the day, representatives of the White House promised their conservative supporters that as White House counsel, Ms. Miers had played a central role in picking the many exemplars of conservatism among Mr. Bush's previous nominees.

Some of the efforts evidently bore fruit. By day's end, Mr. Dobson, one of the most influential evangelical conservatives, welcomed the nomination. "Some of what I know I am not at liberty to talk about," he said in an interview, explaining his decision to speak out in support of Ms. Miers. He declined to discuss his conversations with the White House.

If James Dobson can know, why can't we?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/politics.../04conserv.html

My assumption is that the reassurances may have been in terms of sharing her personal viewpoints with the religious Right's movers and shakers. eg, Miers' history as a Roman Catholic turned Evengelical Christian, personal belief that life begins at conception as stated by her sometimes-boyfriend, reversal of her personal views on a woman's right to choice over the past 20 years, etc.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
It seems like everyone's pissed off at the choice.  That means she probably really is the best woman for the job.

Harry Reid seems happy enough. Of course I'm sure his happiness is over the fact that he was able to successfully suggest a nominee that he knew was going to drive a major wedge in the GOP base.

His apparent behind the scenes mechanations are something Karl Rove could be proud of.

Excerpted from today's ABCNews "The Note":

"Bingo as usual for The Note: The [George] Will column is big. We are in uncharted territory on this. Bush has never had to go into battle with most of the base actively opposed to him. Even BCRA and all the spending bills were largely inside-the-beltway subjects. This isn't. The White House did know in advance that this pick would get a bad reaction from the base."

"Larger consequence, I think, is that W's tenure as head of the conservative movement ended at 8 a.m. Monday."

"The whole Miers fiasco reminds me of the scene in 'Lost in America' in which Albert Brooks confronts his wife, who has just lost their nest egg gambling in Vegas. 'You're not supposed to lose the nest egg,' says Brooks. 'That's why it's called a "nest egg!"'" This nomination was the nest egg for the base. It was why a lot of people held their noses over many issues and stuck around. No more. I think we are now in for 3+ years of gridlock and not much out of Washington other than lobbyist-driven legislation. What a waste."

"The best thing that could happen to Bush now is a Miers scandal that forces her to withdraw and gives Bush a do-over."

You know what? fyou.gif all of them. Especially the conservatives. I know, James Dobson is the only one who knows how Meirs is going to vote on everything (see, Roe v. Wade) and hence "she's the one for the job".

And a special fyou.gif goes out to all those conservatives pissed off that they won't get a fight. I've heard it so many times now. "We WANTED a fight, we WANT to shove the power down their throats because DAMMIT we're RIGHT". Screw that arrogance.

It's that same arrogance that will lose the 2006 elections. Mark my words. However, for that to happen, the Democrats MUST get a message that resonates with the people.