Red Sox 25-man Roster

redandwhite

Projo:

BOSTON -- The Red Sox don't have to submit their 25-man roster until tomorrow and probably won't officially announce it until then, but after internal discussions over the weekend, the club was close to finalizing its group last night.

Indications were that the Sox would go with just 10 pitchers for their first-round American League Division Series with the Chicago White Sox, which begins tomorrow.

Those 10 will be starters Matt Clement, David Wells, Tim Wakefield and Curt Schilling, and relievers Bronson Arroyo (shifted from the rotation), Mike Timlin, Mike Myers, Chad Bradford, Jonathan Papelbon and Lenny DiNardo.

As recently as 10 days ago, the team was leaning toward an 11-man pitching staff for the first round, working under the assumption that rookie Craig Hansen would establish himself as a force in the bullpen. But because Hansen struggled, and with Arroyo stretched out and ready to contribute in relief, the team elected to go with just 10 pitchers.

With 15 position players in place, the breakdown looks like this: catchers (2) Doug Mirabelli and Jason Varitek; infielders (8) John Olerud, Kevin Millar, Tony Graffanino, Alex Cora, Edgar Renteria, Kevin Youkilis, Alejandro Machado and Bill Mueller; DH (1) David Ortiz; outfielders (4) Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Trot Nixon and Adam Hyzdu.

Teams may change rosters in between postseason series.

I figured this might be of interest to White Sox fans.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Carrying only ten pitchers and having Hyzdu and Machado is certainly interesting.

Yeah, after the disaster that nearly befell the Bosox pitching staff in the playoffs last year when Schilling went down and Wakefield had to give up a start in order to end that 17 run Yankee explosion game, and then where Wakefield ended up starting game 7 on like 2 days rest, I'd have figured the Red Sox would carry at least 11, if not 12.

Francona a few days ago actually was doing La-Russa style "1 pitcher per batter" substitutions in some late innings. If he's carrying only 10, he really can't afford to do that...his bullpen will wind up having only Arroyo if the game goes extras.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Yeah, after the disaster that nearly befell the Bosox pitching staff in the playoffs last year when Schilling went down and Wakefield had to give up a start in order to end that 17 run Yankee explosion game, and then where Wakefield ended up starting game 7 on like 2 days rest, I'd have figured the Red Sox would carry at least 11, if not 12.

Francona a few days ago actually was doing La-Russa style "1 pitcher per batter" substitutions in some late innings.  If he's carrying only 10, he really can't afford to do that...his bullpen will wind up having only Arroyo if the game goes extras.

Machado can play both the outfield and infield, obviously one back-up outfielder is needed, but its hard to imagine leaving Gonzalez, Hansen, Delcarmen etc. off the roster.

I guess that shows what the Red Sox think of the White Sox offense, and at this point rightfully so.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)

Francona a few days ago actually was doing La-Russa style "1 pitcher per batter" substitutions in some late innings.  If he's carrying only 10, he really can't afford to do that...his bullpen will wind up having only Arroyo if the game goes extras.

Lowe started game 7 on 2 day's rest.

6 IP of 1 hit baseball is pretty damn good.

October 20, 04 - Boston 10, New York 3

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Lowe started game 7 on 2 day's rest.

6 IP of 1 hit baseball is pretty damn good.

October 20, 04 - Boston 10, New York 3

Ack, Lowe, blast my memory.

Still...how often would you expect any pitcher for any team to be able to go out on 2 days rest and pull that off? That's yet another reason why the Red Sox's October last year was so damn remarkable. That's usually a situation most people would like to avoid.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Ack, Lowe, blast my memory.

Still...how often would you expect any pitcher for any team to be able to go out on 2 days rest and pull that off? That's yet another reason why the Red Sox's October last year was so damn remarkable.  That's usually a situation most people would like to avoid.

Sinkerballers do better when they're tired.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Tony G has been a guy who has caused us trouble. Let's keep him off the basepaths please.

He's still Tony G, a guy who wouldn't even start on the Sox. That says something right there.

Speaking of Derek Lowe, who's taking his place this year? And Pedro? And Foulke? :lol:

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Tony G would be a starter on the White Sox, without question.

If Iguchi was injured. And the recent Willie Harris as well. Graff stunk as a starter up until he hit Boston. Great utilityman though. I'm still scared of him because he's been hot against us with Boston.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Tony G would be a starter on the White Sox, without question.

Nah, and I love tony. There'd be no where to play him as his d isn't anything to talk about and he's not as good a hitter as Iguchi. I love Tony and have a great respect for him but he'd be a utility man here, no doubt about it.

I'm scratching my head at this one. What are the odds that Schilling Wakefield & Clement can go long F-Sa-Su? If F goes into extra innings they could be looking at a depleted bullpen behind Clement on Sun @ the Cell.

Did they not learn anything playing the Yanks last year?