Curry Traded

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...if this makes sure we have the money freed up to resign Hinrich, and in the future Deng and Gordon...then this is a wonderful move.

If Eddy Curry comes out and turns into Wilt Chamberlain...well, in that case it might not be the greatest move ever. But that's about the only real way that trading him at this point has a downside.

But anything less than that...and Pax managed to trade off a guy who was not going to resign with us next year, who may not have even played for us next year, and who never seemed to fit in with this team ("jump").

I hope he got some draft picks out of it. I have enough faith in Pax so as to say those would be more valuable than any players he'd pick up from NY.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Let's see...if this makes sure we have the money freed up to resign Hinrich, and in the future Deng and Gordon...then this is a wonderful move.

If Eddy Curry comes out and turns into Wilt Chamberlain...well, in that case it might not be the greatest move ever.

But anything less than that...and Pax managed to trade off a guy who was not going to resign with us next year, who may not have even played for us next year, and who never seemed to fit in with this team ("jump").

I hope he got some draft picks out of it.

My guess is a first round pick will be involved ( that is also the general consensus).

I can't understand Curry & I can't understand the Knicks. The Bulls offer him $20M/50 yr if he fails the test. This is a PR nightmare for any team trading for him. If he plays w/out taking the test & God forbid a stroke or even worse a fatality occurs the franchise will be viewed as stupid, ignorant, & heartless. What franchise wants to risk that?

What's worse is why isn't the NBAPA doing something? Why don't they arrange the test in private just so Curry himself knows his risk?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
I can't understand Curry & I can't understand the Knicks.  The Bulls offer him $20M/50 yr if he fails the test. This is a PR nightmare for any team trading for him.  If he plays w/out taking the test & God forbid a stroke or even worse a fatality occurs the franchise will be viewed as stupid, ignorant, & heartless.  What franchise wants to risk that? 

What's worse is why isn't the NBAPA doing something? Why don't they arrange the test in private just so Curry himself knows his risk?

I agree. This is my own personal opinion(and that of some of us on RealGM). I think Eddy took the test on his own without anyone being notified, found out he failed and decided to just absolutely refure to take the test for the Bulls.

If he takes the test for the Bulls, the NBAPA would be pissed because it goes against "privacy" issues. Even Eddy's family said that they don't want him risking himself which I think he is. I love Eddy as he's a very likeable guy and a very nice guy. I just think this is a mistake and I would hate to see something happen to him.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
I can't understand Curry & I can't understand the Knicks.  The Bulls offer him $20M/50 yr if he fails the test. This is a PR nightmare for any team trading for him.  If he plays w/out taking the test & God forbid a stroke or even worse a fatality occurs the franchise will be viewed as stupid, ignorant, & heartless.  What franchise wants to risk that? 

The NBAPA would never arrange for something like that...even if it could cost a person a life.

They're not as strong as the MLBPA, but there is so much potential data in a DNA Test...from conditions that could develop as people get older to information on how the body will react to different stresses that it would be absolute insanity for the NBAPA to push that in any way, shape, or form, at least if their job is to represent the majority of their clients.

Imagine yourself in this position...you take a DNA test for 1 particular condition. You pass on that condition, but you learn you might be at risk for heart disease. How would you respond if that leaked out to your insurance company? What would they do?

If an NBA Team got hold of a player's DNA test...it could cost the player millions of dollars. That's why Rose has been so adamant on it. If Curry was smart he'd have it done himself and have the doctors sign all sorts of legal waivers making him a billionaire if the results leaked out, but any sort of public pressure or release of details would be a horrible thing.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
MSG SportsDesk just reported we received Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis and Chicago got Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Jermaine Jackson and 2 picks!

Wow. Now that's a good deal for the Bulls.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
lol.  This news isn't anywhere close to as huge as when Jordan retired.

Hmmm...the best player in basketball history retiring...versus the Bulls trading a 16 point a game scorer.

Yeah...so 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time tomorrow on ESPN.

We are clearly going for offense at the wings and defense at the posts. I am glad that we got something for Curry rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the year, but I worry about our frontcourt scoring. Songalia is our best offense PF or C, that is something not so good.

The NBAPA would never arrange for something like that...even if it could cost a person a life.

They're not as strong as the MLBPA, but there is so much potential data in a DNA Test...from conditions that could develop as people get older to information on how the body will react to different stresses that it would be absolute insanity for the NBAPA to push that in any way, shape, or form, at least if their job is to represent the majority of their clients.

Imagine yourself in this position...you take a DNA test for 1 particular condition.  You pass on that condition, but you learn you might be at risk for heart disease.  How would you respond if that leaked out to your insurance company?  What would they do?

If an NBA Team got hold of a player's DNA test...it could cost the player millions of dollars.  That's why Rose has been so adamant on it.  If Curry was smart he'd have it done himself and have the doctors sign all sorts of legal waivers making him a billionaire if the results leaked out, but any sort of public pressure or release of details would be a horrible thing.

You are suggesting it's impossible for a union that overseas 100's of millions in player contracts to arrange for private & confidential testing. I don't believe that. They could arrange a contract with stiff penalties with the test agent to insure privacy & confidentiality.

As for the trade:

Starter Thomas 28 yr old 6-10 240# F avg 28 min 12 ppg (26 vs ATL).

Starter Sweetney 33 yr old 6-8 270# F avg 20 min 9 ppg (13 vs 4/5 games).

Bench Jackson 29 yr old 6-5 204# G avg 11 min 2 ppg. Huh?

Knicks have a 1-2 punch at C now (James, Curry).

The AP report includes several draft choices changing hands as well.

Rebounding wise Curry avg 29 min 5.4 rbg. Davis avg 26 min 5.9 rbg.

Thomas avg 28 min 3.3 rbg. Jackson 11 min 1.1 rbg. Sweetney 20 min 5.4 rbg.

Sweetney is capable of double-double nights. That's an upgrade over Davis.

With Curry gone Chandler has to step up & become a consistent double-double player.

Paxson may not be done. He might be able to put together a new pkg to get a better talent.

http://www.wral.com/apsportsnews/5053296/detail.html

Chicago also sent veteran center Antonio Davis to the Knicks, who traded away forwards Tim Thomas, Michael Sweetney and Jermaine Jackson. Several draft choices also changed hands in the deal, according to an executive in the Eastern Conference who spoke on condition of anonymity.

We must have got a first rounder and gave up a second or some funky combination. Tomorrow will be interesting. Wow, in one day a Curry trade and Sox playoff game.

You know, since the Eddy Curry went out in March, this has to have been the wierdest time to follow the Bulls ever. With Eddys heart problems, then Dengs wrist problem, then to Skiles leaving and being hired for 4 more years, then Duhon was signed to an offer sheet in toronto, now back to this Curry trade.

My head is spinning. I dont know what to expect from this team this year.