Curry Traded

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
Gordon for Starbury would set this franchise back a ways. I agree that there is nothing wrong with being aggressive as this team cannot win a Finals game as presently comprised (they could get far I guess based on matchups in a weak East).  I really like Sweetney but clearly this closes theh chapter on the Brand deal which turned out to be a very poor one (even factoring in money saved).  Trading Gordon isn't a terrible idea depending on what you get in return with the Bulls tweener guards. However, trading Gordon to the Knicks would be a disaster given that they have nothing you'd want back.

Chandler was drafted with the pick we got for Brand.

Wow, talk about highway robbery...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

"Just moments after Antonio Davis reflected thoughtfully Monday on the sign-and-trade deal that will send Eddy Curry to the Knicks, Davis had to stomach some unsettling news.

He's being shipped to New York with Curry in exchange for power forward Michael Sweetney, small forward Tim Thomas, guard Jermaine Jackson, a first-round and two second-round draft picks."

"Davis may not be gone long. The teams apparently have an agreement that the Knicks will release Davis and he will return to the Bulls later this month. Davis, who stands to make $13.9 million this season, is in the last year of his deal."

Edited by SSH2005

The best memories of Curry—at least for this observer—always came off the court. That's where his sense of humor showed through.

After a March 13 matinee against the Clippers, I flew from Los Angeles to Chicago with Curry's mother, Gayle, then-fiance, now-wife, Patrice, and their two children, helping to entertain the kids during a two-hour flight delay.

The next day at practice in Chicago, Curry, who had flown with the team on a private charter jet, approached me with as imposing a scowl as he could muster.

"Don't ever touch my kids again," Curry said.

Then he burst out laughing and said thanks.

Anyone who knows Curry knows that the scowl is a dead giveaway for an imminent joke. Curry doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

People can argue left and right whether that characteristic prevented him from reaching his full potential and becoming a dominant, dunk-on-your-head force.

Curry, who may really never love playing basketball the way some people want him to, wouldn't mind.

He would just as soon go home to his wife and kids and play video games or pool. This is, after all, just a big kid of 22 himself.

Because of his salivating potential, Curry took his turns as a punching bag. From the time former Bulls coach Tim Floyd spoke derisively of giving him "entitlement minutes" during his rookie season to the classic time that current coach Scott Skiles said "jump" when asked how Curry could be a better rebounder, Curry took his lumps.

Publicly, Curry acted as if the comments didn't bother him. Privately, they hurt him, sometimes even enough for him to take a path other than the one offering the least resistance.

At such moments Curry's on-the-court effectiveness matched his off-the-court likeability.

There's a reason why Skiles, general manager John Paxson and Curry's teammates and Bulls assistant coaches were united in their genuine disappointment over the heart situation that forced Curry to miss the 2004 NBA playoffs: They felt badly for him on a personal level.

Even at his most exasperatingly inconsistent times on the court, Curry was as well liked a teammate as the Bulls had. His honesty, humility and humor kept everyone in his inner circle and everyone else loose.

Simply put, Curry never took himself too seriously.

His impersonations inside the locker room of teammates' ugly jump shots or bad turnovers always included some of his own miscues. And when a reporter once tried to offer up a softball question about leading the league in field-goal percentage in his second NBA season, Curry cut him short.

"Yeah, but I got dunked on by Shaq," Curry said.

Curry had his serious moments too.

Visibly upset over former general manager Jerry Krause's exit in 2003, he etched Krause's initials on his sneakers for several games. And his concern over his heart condition on March 30 in Charlotte, the night it first became public, was genuine and palpable.

But that's the Knicks' concern now. Reached at Knicks training camp in Charleston, S.C., former Bull Jamal Crawford could barely express his thoughts over the acquisition of Curry, such was his shock and excitement.

"Me and him playing together again?" Crawford said. "We're going to be really, really good.  :lol: And we're going to really, really have a lot of fun."

Writing about Curry always was that.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...bulls-headlines

Steve Kerr's take on the trade:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Am_Z...=yhoo&type=lgns

"In return for Curry, the Bulls will receive Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Jermaine Jackson and draft picks. Rumors are that Antonio Davis, who is part of the package to New York, will be subsequently released and re-signed by Chicago to a minimum deal. The Bulls will have major salary-cap space next summer as a result of the trade. Of course, they'd rather have a healthy Curry, but at the end of a frustrating process, dealing Curry was about all Paxson could do."

That's really sweet that we will actually get Antonio Davis back at a minimum deal. So who will we sign with all that extra cap space next offseason?

Might as well put this here...

“I definitely feel like I’ll be a starter this year,” said Chandler, who claimed to have added 15 pounds over the summer. “This year I want my role to be a little bigger.”

Deng at full speed: Luol Deng, who missed the end of last season with a torn ligament in his right wrist, said he was given full clearance to play about two weeks ago.

“I’ve been playing for a while,” he said. “I just couldn’t do contact. I’ve just worked on my game, worked on other stuff.”

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/s...y.asp?id=101618

There are going to be other teams with some good cap space as well. I know Orlanod has Cato and Battie's contract coming off the books plus Doug Christie's, which equlas 20M in cap space. And then teams like the Bobcats as well.

And in a weak FA class, the Bulls may get no-ine. But I'd consider them favorites for Peja right now.

dam, at first i was :(. then going through the trade, that aint dam bad.

let me get this straight

A first round, and 2 second round picks??

He's being shipped to New York with Curry in exchange for power forward Michael Sweetney, small forward Tim Thomas, guard Jermaine Jackson, a first-round and two second-round draft picks."

All that? + salary room next year?

id take that :D thx curry.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 05:41 AM)
dam, at first i was :(. then going through the trade, that aint dam bad.

let me get this straight

A first round, and 2 second round picks??

All that? + salary room next year?

id take that :D thx curry.

From what I understand, that 1st rounder is conditional ... in the Bulls favor. If the Knicks finish with a top 5 record, the pick gets pushed back to '07.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
Does this look like a probable 2006-2007 projected lineup?

SG  Luol Deng

PG  Ben Gordon

PF  Michael Sweetney

SF Peja Stojakovic

C  Tyson Chandler

Duhon and Hinrich as bench players? Hmmm, I dont think that is likely with Skiles running the show. He loves those two guys.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
Sam Smith just said that the Knicks are going to cut Antonio Davis right away and the Bulls will get him back (ESPN Radio.

I was thinking that may just be what would happen. It would be one of those moves to make salaries even out and than the Bulls would immediately get him back (I know they really like the attitude Davis brings and he is a solid role player).

If thats the case thats a great deal for the Bulls considering the circumstances.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
There are going to be other teams with some good cap space as well. I know Orlanod has Cato and Battie's contract coming off the books plus Doug Christie's, which equlas 20M in cap space. And then teams like the Bobcats as well.

And in a weak FA class, the Bulls may get no-ine. But I'd consider them favorites for Peja right now.

Umm, if the Bulls play like they did last year, they will be the best team out there with caproom and if we've learned one thing, its that players are going to jump to a team that can win as opposed to a team that can't win. If the Bulls are a piece or two away, you'll see them land those pieces.

If the Bulls want a guy and Charlotte and Orlando are bidding this time around, 90% of the players (for a similar price) will be coming to Chicago.