I hope Ozzie reconsiders his Closer Situation

White Sox Josh

I don't know about you guys but i feel a whole hell of a lot more comfortable if Hermanson is on the mound than Jenks or Marte. Trust me I love what Jenks has done however he can very erratic. Plus im not sure what Hermy did to lose the closers job. He had a couple of rough outings. That's it.

Dustin lost his job due to injury not because he pitched his way out of it. Dustin has pitched the best lately when he has been fresh which makes a lot of sense cause of his back so for me I kinda run a closer by committee with Bobby pitching the 9th and Dustin when he's ready to go.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
I don't know about you guys but i feel a whole hell of a lot more comfortable if Hermanson is on the mound than Jenks or Marte.  Trust me I love what Jenks has done however he can very erratic.  Plus im not sure what Hermy did to lose the closers job.  He had a couple of rough outings.  That's it.

I also want Hermy out there whenever possible because it seems like Hermy just gets the job done no matter what the situation.

Jenks can be good but I am not sold on him yet. He has done a good job and if it weren't for errors that really screwed the team he wouldn't look so bad but still, if his curve isn't located they just keep fouling off the fastball until they get one they like. Besides those errors Jenks was nervous as hell in some of those really really important games and we can't run the risk of him blowing a game because he throws 100mph.

We really need Hermy now and I really hope he can pitch for us while being healthy.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
if he can learn to climb the ladder with that fastball...he won't need the curve.  Although I love to watch him drop that hammer.

Climb the ladder with the fastball, make sure you throw it in and once you get to the highest step on the ladder, drop the hammer on the guy low.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Because Garcia is starting game 3?

Unless I read wrong or ESPN's "crack staff" got it wrong, Garland is slated to start Game 3 against Wakefield. Well if Garcia is starting Game 3, then Ozzie got it right, good for him.

Why in the hell is Garcia starting game 3? garland deserves to IMHO. He has the most wins. The problem i have with Garcia is that 1st inning. In the regular season against a weak hitting team that might be ok however we don't have the offense to climb out trailing 4-0 in the 1st inning.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Why in the hell is Garcia starting game 3?  garland deserves to IMHO.  He has the most wins.  The problem i have with Garcia is that 1st inning.  In the regular season against a weak hitting team that might be ok however we don't have the offense to climb out trailing 4-0 in the 1st inning.

Garcia is pitching on the road and in the afternoon.

Ozzie wins. You lose.

IIRC, the reason why Ortiz got that HR was that Jenks was forced to use his fastball more than he wanted to.

The curve wasn't biting for strikes then.

I've seen the curve improve in the last few games; so, things should look a LOT better in the 9th.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Why in the hell is Garcia starting game 3?  garland deserves to IMHO.  He has the most wins.  The problem i have with Garcia is that 1st inning.  In the regular season against a weak hitting team that might be ok however we don't have the offense to climb out trailing 4-0 in the 1st inning.

Who would you rather throw against Schilling?

Personally, I want JG out there if we get to game 4, because I don't want it getting to game 5.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
I'd feel more relaxed with DH in that closer role.  Jenks is impressive most of the time.  Most.

Still, we're sitting better than the Bosox in that department.

I'd feel more relaxed with the DH from April/May in that role too. But the problem is we just don't have that DH right now.

If Dustin's back was giving him no pain at all, he should be closing. But it's been bothering him all season, and the doctors have reportedly told him it'll take the whole offseason to get himself healthy.

We can't afford to give these guys anything easy...if Dustin comes out and his back starts acting up just a little bit, it could turn into a walk, and with that Red Sox lineup, that walk will probably turn into ar un.