Koskie for Morneau Deal

DBAHO

Wow, if Terry Ryan does this, well that just ain't too good for the Twinkies.

Despite Ricciardi's pessimism on meaningful trades, one deal that he will try to complete, sooner rather than later, is the reassignment of third baseman Corey Koskie to Minnesota for first baseman Justin Morneau.

The Twins were upset when they lost Koskie to the Jays. Many in Minnesota blamed the Twins missing the playoffs on the absence of Koskie in the clubhouse. The Jays might be willing to pay the difference in what the Twins had offered last winter and then throw in a mid-level prospect to get Morneau for first base.

The Twins left a two-year, $8.25 million deal on the table. Koskie will earn $11 million over the next two seasons. The Jays would have to make up $2.75 million, which is the difference.

If the Sox were to let Konerko go after this year for whatever reason....i would love to see them make some sort of move for Morneau. I think the kid is going to be a huge stud in another year or two. Due to fantasy baseball considerations this year i followed him pretty closely and would love to see him on the south side.

QUOTE(juddling @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
If the Sox were to let Konerko go after this year for whatever reason....i would love to see them make some sort of move for Morneau.  I think the kid is going to be a huge stud in another year or two.  Due to fantasy baseball considerations this year i followed him pretty closely and would love to see him on the south side.

Twins would never trade him within the division. I thought Morneau was going to be a star this season, but he never put it all together.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
Twins would never trade him within the division.  I thought Morneau was going to be a star this season, but he never put it all together.

That's why we would have to get him through Toronto. not sure what they would be looking for but i'm sure we could put together a nice package for him

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
the StarTrib beat write for the Twins was sort of making a pitch for Konerko playing with the Twins next year

hmm

its not even Hot Stove season yet!

Not even worth getting excited over.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
You can help thank Torii Hunter for that.

I don't know about Torii...he has always been named the face of the Twins with his style of play but on the other hand maybe not his personal attitude. If he is talking trash about his teammates to the media then thats bad. It seems to me like he thinks everybody should bow down to him because of his GG and his veteran status on the team.

From what I hear from Twins fans some of them want to trade Hunter to give some good talent in return. Then add the fact that hes becoming a clubhouse cancer he definitley might leave. Then he sold his house because he heard from reliable sources he might be traded? A lot of stuff going on.

As far as Morneau, a lot of Twins fans still have high expectations for him. I don't believe Minny will give up on him so early. They are good at developing talent and they won't get rid of someone homegrown because they didn't meet their expectations in his first full season in the majors. Morneau is a powerful young 1B with lots of upside and to deal him for an old 3B is bad. Considering their payroll, who will they get to replace him at 1B?

Twins don't have the payroll to give PK 10 million a year.

Try $12 million a year. The Star Tribune must be a rag if it would even mention such an obvious garbage rumor like that. The Twins could never afford Konerko. They can't even afford Torii Hunter's $10.75 million salary next year and they will probably trade him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Try $12 million a year.  The Star Tribune must be a rag if it would even mention such an obvious garbage rumor like that.  The Twins could never afford Konerko.  They can't even afford Torii Hunter's $10.75 million salary next year and they will probably trade him.

I believe that the Star Tribune was the paper that in March ran the rumor that the White Sox were unhappy with AJ and were looking to trade him (without noting that you can't trade guys you sign as a F.A.)

That rumor should tell you all you need to know about thier sports page.

How the Twins can pay for quality hitters http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5647349.html

5 free agents who could help Twins :

Here are five free-agent offensive players who could help the Twins. The free-agent market is considered thin, but it could get a boost from players who aren't tendered contracts during the offseason.

La Velle E. Neal III

• Mike Piazza, C (Mets): If he switches leagues and is a DH-1B-emergency catcher, could the Twins get a couple of big seasons out of him?

• Brian Giles, OF (Padres): Career on-base percentage is .413. He might prefer to stay in his native California, and in the National League.

• Paul Konerko, 1B (White Sox): Can Chicago re-sign him? Team payroll could shoot past $80 million next season.

• Bill Mueller, 3B (Red Sox): Subject of Twins trade rumors in July. A polished hitter and good clubhouse guy.

• Kevin Millar, 1B (Red Sox): Twins tried to trade for him, too, feeling his quality at-bats could help the team.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5647380.html

As for Hunter/Morneau... it sounded like Hunter was trying to fire up the troops, Morneau didnt want any of it and things got heated, and HUnter threw a punch.

more here: http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5647341.html

I believe that the Star Tribune was the paper that in March ran the rumor that the White Sox were unhappy with AJ and were looking to trade him (without noting that you can't trade guys you sign as a F.A.)

That rumor should tell you all you need to know about thier sports page.

Yep, I believe that was a sportswriter for the Star Tribune that started up that rumor.

Mike Piazza -- he's a DH at this point and I don't see the Twins spending the money for a full-time DH. They would also want him to play a position. Well, Mauer is already at catcher. Piazza isn't really a full-time option at 1st base either. Piazza was so bad at 1st base the Mets moved him back to catcher. If he doesn't retire, he will definately sign with some A.L. team to be a DH though.

Brian Giles -- LOL, the Twins can't afford him.

Paul Konerko -- LOL, see above.

Bill Mueller -- I could see Mueller being the Twins' main free agent target if they don't trade Morneau for Koskie (which I don't see happening). The Twins may love Koskie but they would never trade away a dirt-cheap player with potential like Morneau for Koskie and his contract. The Twins have holes everywhere but 3rd base is a huge one.

Kevin Millar -- I'm surprised that any team wants this bum. He plays 1st base and the outfield. He's a fat, slow bum with no power anymore (roids?). You can tell that Millar doesn't give 100% just by watching him play. He's a horrible baserunner as well. He just seems like the anti-Twins player to me so I don't see them wanting him.