We have great pitching

iguchi=dank

Browsing some red sox postings, and they are pretty confident they are going to win the next 3 games, even moreso than people thinking they will win in 5. While I'm pretty sure we won't sweep em, i'm going to relax a bit. IF we lose tomorrow, and i actually think boston's not gonna come that close tomorrow, lets agree to relax and not get too pessimistic.

For this is the truth, our pitching is gonna win us this series. The flaw in boston is that not one of their pitchers, I believe, mentally thinks they are gonna put in a solid game right now. I also believe our batters sense this and are being patient and waiting for a mistake, as evidenced by today. Our sox are also going to be feeding off an absolute f***ing monster of a crowd tomorrow.

One final reason to relax during these next few days, after manny, i'm just not that scared of any batter really.. During the season I felt they were just all monsters but its just not the case, millar, nixon, graf, even renteria.. its just not scarin me and i KNOW its not gonna scare our starters the way they are playing right now.

So enjoy the ride during this series, its gonna be fun, and I don't think we should be too nervous, as much as the espn boys are saying its still a must game for us... I'm confident in saying its a MUST win for boston and even if they take it, i'm not worried, our team is taking this one and every boston fan isn't gonna know what the hell happened.

PS. I can't wait till Bill Simmons (whom i like most of the time) puts down 4000 words on this series on his next article

Edited by iguchi=dank

That's why this game was crucial. Red Sox have an AWESOME offense, no doubt about it, but they have to sweep MB, Garland, and Garcia just to avoid a game 5 against a fully rested Count.

Simmons will either say how great the Red Sox are if they win this series or how hurt and flawed they were. He will not give the White Sox any credit win or lose. I use to like him, but his columns have been retreads the last year or so.

QUOTE(iguchi=dank @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
PS. I can't wait till Bill Simmons (whom i like most of the time) puts down 4000 words on this series on his next article

he picked the Red Sox in 4, said he'd take the washed-up-Wells/questionable-but-probably-ready-Schilling combo over the white-hot-Contreras/Buehrle/Garcia/Garland combo.

Edited by AirScott

I know most of of the people b**** about baseball tonight and hate on gammons, but I still love the show for the most part and have a ton of respect for gammons. When he just got tossed the totally biased east coast question of, "most people still assume the white sox MUST WIN tomorrow, what do you think peter." Gammons says, No, and mumbles some stuff, knowing right now that the white sox pitching will prolly win this thing even if the red sox get lucky tomorrow.

Everyone just think about it. Every game in this series were going in with the better pitching matchup, even the shilling game, b/c shilling has got to prove it to me right now more than garland. If we pick one game in the next 3 its f***in OVER, cus count is gonna own them with the help of the crowd if it gets to that point.

Other thing to remember, even though red sox have a great home field aura, we have already won there this year and its a big park that will benifit our pitchers and will help rowand feel good about being able to run as much as he wants out there.

Gotta feel pumped, gotta feel loose, its alll good

Contreras is not a good example of our pitching staff over the past half season. He has been the outlier; his statistics and consistency are far, far, far above that of the other staffers.

Which Buehrle shows up? The former Cy Young candidate, or the soft thrower that gets hammered for six runs? Which Garcia? The dominant big-game pitcher, or the one who gives up the game-winning runs in the first inning and tosses wild pitches with men on third? Which Garland? The first-half aberration or the 2000-2004 kid who'll strike out 8 but give up the same number of runs?

We honestly don't know until we see them pitch. So I would -not- be confident in our pitching staff at this point.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Contreras is not a good example of our pitching staff over the past half season. He has been the outlier; his statistics and consistency are far, far, far above that of the other staffers.

Which Buehrle shows up? The former Cy Young candidate, or the soft thrower that gets hammered for six runs? Which Garcia? The dominant big-game pitcher, or the one who gives up the game-winning runs in the first inning and tosses wild pitches with men on third? Which Garland? The first-half aberration or the 2000-2004 kid who'll strike out 8 but give up the same number of runs?

We honestly don't know until we see them pitch. So I would -not- be confident in our pitching staff at this point.

more confident in ours than theirs, that you can be certain of.

osuna you gotta be confident right now. Relax, I understand your point about which mark, garcia, and garland will show up, but for ALL of them not to show up... thats just not going to happen right now. Also this question is MUCH more important, which wells, schilling, and wakefield are gonna show up. My guess for tomorrow is the crowd pulls burhle through whatever mess he gets into and we score enough to take it. And if that doesn't happen, i'm still not worried.

The crowd is going to play a role tomorrow, today was crazy and with the result we got they aren't gonna stop standing or screaming for quite a while, cus they are gonna go crazy when we bat/wells pitch, and they are gonna be deafening every time mark has 2 strikes

osuna you gotta be confident right now.  Relax, I understand your point about which mark, garcia, and garland will show up, but for ALL of them not to show up... thats just not going to happen right now.

Hrm, where have I heard this before...

SZ200_walter_jacobson.jpg

"Even if they get to Prior, they will not beat Wood in Game 7, and that's why the Cubbies are headed to the World Series"

Guys, I feel good about our chances, their offense is great but I just have this feeling that our pitching will lead us further. I mean if it goes to game 5 I have a lot of faith in Count.

It definitley isn't as easy as this but check it out we won one already, we have Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland. I have a good feeling we win at least one of those if not two --thats pushing it though, you can't predict they all will do well-- Then we have the Count.

Our bullpen also has to keep the lead so u have to give the lead to the bullpen who u hope won't blow it. I haven't felt good about Politte since before the ASB though... Anyway, you just hope that in every game the SP gives you a good chance to win, if all of our SP's give us QS's then our bullpen has to do the rest, it can happen but I think we can depend on our bullpen enough to take at least this series.

Late Boston rallies are not good so I hope the runs they do get, are early so we have time to come back(hopefully not many because they can swing it.) Nothing sucks more than seeing a SP go through 7 with 1 ER and then get lit up for 4 more runs in the 8th, thats also a key. Like I said, easier said than done but I just have a good feeling and I hope im right. :gosox1:

QUOTE(iguchi=dank @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
osuna you gotta be confident right now.  Relax, I understand your point about which mark, garcia, and garland will show up, but for ALL of them not to show up... thats just not going to happen right now.  Also this question is MUCH more important, which wells, schilling, and wakefield are gonna show up.  My guess for tomorrow is the crowd pulls burhle through whatever mess  he gets into and we score enough to take it.  And if that doesn't happen, i'm still not worried.

Good points on their starting pitching. We've done pretty well against Wakefield in the past and Schilling has looked pretty shakey down the stretch. Overall, these are good match-ups for us.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Good points on their starting pitching.  We've done pretty well against Wakefield in the past and Schilling has looked pretty shakey down the stretch.  Overall, these are good match-ups for us.

The White Sox do have the edge on paper you just hope that translates. I just hope they don't s*** their pants and swing at everything vs Wakefield and Schilling. They are vulnerable, you just hope they can handle it.

Wells is a different story, he ain't gonna walk you and has a good breaking ball = not good for us. I hope he leaves them hanging and we crush them.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
Good points on their starting pitching.  We've done pretty well against Wakefield in the past and Schilling has looked pretty shakey down the stretch.  Overall, these are good match-ups for us.

Wakefield is 5-10 with an era over 8 against the white sox in his career.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Wakefield is 5-10 with an era over 8 against the white sox in his career.

That doesn't mean much, it does on the mentality of the hitters but this isn't the regular season. Anything can happen and u just hope that history repeats itself with us kicking Wakefields ass.

Then again, Buehrle got rocked by Boston in his last start so you hope that history doesn't repeat itself in that respect.

You just gotta hope for the best and whoever steps up will win.

osuna, you've heard things like that before, but thats from the scrubs, also this is the first round, best of 5 not as much pressure, not the big round 2. This is how you gotta feel, its like we've been dealt KK, you gotta love the hand, and if you go all in and lose, hey you made a good judgement call, you know there is a chance you might lose, but its worth it. If we end up losing its not gonna be without some good memories. be confident, this 18hr period should be the most fun of your year, don't mess it up by dwelling on losing and bad pitching for us. Enjoy it and get pessimistic when the time comes, but right now, its not here

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
Point taken.  But Jose is a much different pitcher than when Boston was shelling him as a Yankee.  Wakefield is pretty much the same Wakefield he's always been.  But like I said,  I see your point.

The Sox don't have all the mashers they had throughout most of Wakefield's career. Having said that, his knuckler is most effective in hot, humid weather. Boston's supposed to have a high of about 55 on Friday.