Unplugged

YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm always on the look out for acoustic versions of rock classics.  Of course, I've the "easy to find" ones like Clapton's "Layla".  If anyone has any available, I'd sure appreciate any help in collecting these that I can get.

Do you mean stuff done by the same artist? If you want to hear some KILLER cover tunes, done acoustic, check out Michael Hedges versions of stuff like "All Along The Watchtower", "Comfortably Numb", "Come Together" and "Love Bazare". Just him and his guit-fiddle, and they are amazing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
I'm always on the look out for acoustic versions of rock classics.  Of course, I've the "easy to find" ones like Clapton's "Layla".  If anyone has any available, I'd sure appreciate any help in collecting these that I can get.

I have some great ones on my Ipod. Peter Gabriel "In your eyes", plenty of Bob Dylan, David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" is fantastic acoustic, also David Bowie "The man who sold the world", Simon and Garfunkel

Lots of times I find these little goodies on Limewire without even knowing it. I download it and find out that its acoustic

Some of my favorites:

Rolling Stones: Unplugged

Amazing versions of "No Expectations", "Wild Horses", etc. The acoustic version of "No Expectations" might just be my favorite Rolling Stones song, period.

Beatles: Kinfauns

Acoustic sessions from George Harrison's house in 1968. Essential. My favorites: "Blackbird", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Not Guilty", "Dear Prudence", "Mother Nature's Son", "I'm So Tired", "Julia", "Cry Baby Cry", and "Child Of Nature".

George Harrison: Beware Of Abcko!

A stunning compilation of acoustic sessions for "All Things Must Pass". Some of my favorites include "Run Of The Mill", "The Art Of Dying", "Beware Of Darkness", "If Not For You", and "Let It Down".

Tom Petty: North Carolina 1989

These acoustic versions bring a tear to my eye: "Southern Accent", "Even The Losers", and "A Face In The Crowd".

Tom Petty: 20 Nights At The Fillmore

I just can't really explain in words how emotionally powerful these acoustic tracks are: "Walls" and "Angel Dream". Petty is just on a whole nother level when it comes to live material.

Bob Dylan: Blood On The Tracks (Original NY Test Pressing)

You just can't f*** with the emotional power on the acoustic versions of "Idiot Wind", "You're A Big Girl Now", "Tangled Up In Blue", "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome", etc. The offically released BOTT sucks IMO, because the tracks that I just mentioned are void of that raw emotion captured during the original acoustic sessions. As I said in a previous thread on here a while back, the classic acoustic tracks officially released from the NY sessions: "Simple Twist Of Fate", "Shelter From The Storm", "Buckets Of Rain", etc. Compare those to the re-recorded tracks ("Idiot Wind", "Tanlged Up In Blue", etc) from late 1974 in Minnesota. What a travesty.

Bob Dylan: Blood On The Tapes

A supplemental comp that goes hand-in-hand with the NY test pressing, strictly for the unreleased "Up To Me", which is just classic.

Bob Dylan: Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears 1965

There are quite a few amazing soundboards from the 1965 Tour, but this one takes the cake IMO. My favorites: "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", "Gates Of Eden", "The Times", "Love Minus Zero", "Mr. Tambourine Man", "With God On Our Side", "It Ain't Me Babe", "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue", "To Ramona", etc.

Who: Acoustic Glory

Interesting stuff. The Who like you've never heard them before. Of course, I prefer all of the Moon era stuff, but this is a good one.