Another Manager Bites The Dust...

bjm676

They gut the guy's pitching staff, give him a roster that consists of Chavez, Zito and some guys that are one or two years out of AAA.

What does Macha do?

Finsh a handful of games out of the Wild Card/AL West Division, then be released because he wanted compensation for a good season.

Macha got jobbed more than McClendon.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
You werent saying that before this season.  They looked pretty bad on paper, and made a nice run with a team that wont be ready for another 2 years.  I would say it was a good job by him.

Two years?

Not with Blanton-Haren-Harden-Zito...

Wite, I'm sort of interested to see what Beane is going to do with Zito. He could quite possibly ask for, and get, an arm and a leg for him -- if Zito were a FA this year, he'd be one of the best, certainly the top lefty.

The Mulder trade looks spectacular -- the Huddy trade, not so much. Meyer is going to have to come back from his injury, or that trade will look pretty bad...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Wite, I'm sort of interested to see what Beane is going to do with Zito.  He could quite possibly ask for, and get, an arm and a leg for him -- if Zito were a FA this year, he'd be one of the best, certainly the top lefty. 

The Mulder trade looks spectacular -- the Huddy trade, not so much.  Meyer is going to have to come back from his injury, or that trade will look pretty bad...

I'm looking for him to trade Zito. I see Oakland needing a starter next year and perhaps some more power in the middle of the lineup. Crosby, when fully healthy, is probably a 25 homer .825 OPS guy, Swisher will probably be improve next year as well, and Dan Johnson looks solid as hell. Chavez is money, and there are a number of players who could play better next year(with the first one off the top of my head being Kendall...a sub .700 OPS after putting up around .815 in 03 and .789 in 04). They add 1 more hitter, and have a full rotation, and they will be very scary again.

Agreed very much on the Mulder trade...Calero again had a very solid year, Haren with 14 wins and a 3.73 ERA in his first full year, and Barton had a very solid year in the minors. And again, very much agreed on the Huddy trade. Thomas has done pretty much nothing for Oakland, Cruz has been horrible...Meyer will have to be good, or that trade will look quite bad.

EDIT: One thing I wanted to mention. If the A's are in the market for a DH/1B type this offseason, and the Sox are to let go of Gload, I could very well see Gload winding up in Oakland. I've thought that for a while. A lot depends on what happens with Hatteberg.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry Manual managing soon.  He has solid credentials.  I for one liked Manual and thought he was a class act.  I thought he did a good job.  A change needed to be made but you can't blame all of what happened after 2000 on him.

Yeah, he's a damn good guy, just like Giambi. I can't wait until Juan Rincon wins the delivery man of the year award and Ryan Franklin wins the Cy Young. They're good guys, I bet.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Yeah, he's a damn good guy, just like Giambi.  I can't wait until Juan Rincon wins the delivery man of the year award and Ryan Franklin wins the Cy Young.  They're good guys, I bet.

Why would you ever put Jerry Manuel in that group of guys?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
Why would you ever put Jerry Manuel in that group of guys?

LOL, he is referencing the Giambi thread, in which Josh asserts that Giambi is a nice guy, so we should forget about the fact that he did Steroids.

It was a little bit of a reach on Milkmans part, but I thought it was funny. :P

I really respect Orel with the job he's done with NOTHING in Texas.

It's SCARY here. A 28 year old GM, and no pitching coach.

Essentially, Buck Showalter has the ENTIRE show now.

:puke

That guy is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY over-rated, and he sucks, so that doesn't say much, does it?